Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hasn't happened to me yet
Me neither.

On the ISF lag point... Given the location of the sensor, if you are actively using your arms for something, and your muscles are using up and depleting glycogen, it stands to reason that they will suck that from the locale in which they exist. In this scenario, it's possible that the ISF level drops while the liver is dumping glycogen into the blood to power those muscles.... WHich is then correct?

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IS Fluid is about 5-10 minutes behind a blood reading.
I think @tim2000s may be on to something. Because my blood glucose doesn't drop. It stays at around 6 (I've been testing A LOT) and then my scans go back up (I don't correct based on a scan)

It's not due to it being behind or anything like that. My blood levels don't see a dip.

Reactions: 2 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5th day and you guessed it
Bring On The Drift Apart feature....... :¬( grrr
last few days its been spot on but last night is decided to go to 4.6 mmol and stay there
testing with Blood is 5.9

This tech is expensive and faulty and bad and im in a depressed mood :¬(

Im guessing (clutching at straws really) that after a few days the body has some defence/interference mechanism for the sensor

But who knows dam thing :¬(

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5th day and you guessed it
Bring On The Drift Apart feature....... :¬( grrr
last few days its been spot on but last night is decided to go to 4.6 mmol and stay there
testing with Blood is 5.9

This tech is expensive and faulty and bad and im in a depressed mood :¬(

Im guessing (clutching at straws really) that after a few days the body has some defence/interference mechanism for the sensor

But who knows dam thing :¬(

That's interesting. Mine generally get closer and closer as time passes - particularly into week 2...

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive had mine on for 3 days now, and other than day 1 its never drifted more than about 1 MMOL, intrestingly i tested with my accu check mobile and came in at 7.4 then scanned the libre and came in at 7.2 then used a blood test on the libre and came in at 9.3

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think, recalling the 135 or so pages of this topic, that you are the first person to mention a 5 day drift apart. I haven't ever seen it (my current sensor is at 6 days), and there has been little to no discussion of it on the Facebook group. What is your source for this known issue?

In the meantime, you may be wrong and it may sort itself out.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found that sometimes my scans are lower in the eve when I'm hungry. Look out for a pattern :)

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thought I would walk away and calm down but...

Freestyle Libre says 5.2
Freestyle Libre Blood test says 6.2 (average of 3)
Freestyle Lite says 7.2 (same blood site as above and average of 3)

What a loade of Olde Gonads this is

I don't think im even gonna bother with my second sensor
I am going to just jump up and down on it, untill I get blisters

When I think of the money ive spent on this rubbish over the years it makes me very angry :¬(

TBH I was expecting fail as everything do fails anyways

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your frustration, madasmacus, but expect those would argued to be "in range". I sometimes wonder what's the point of being so diligent when I get different readings from different devices and find it frustrating that, even now, in 2015, there is no particularly accurate bg monitor. It doesn't help that I'm a bit OCD/perfectionist....

I don't know if there is something wrong with my blood (!) but I always get different readings - I once tested on 4 different BG metres at the same time and the readings were all over the place. It's hard to know what to trust. My current sensor (that Abbott is replacing) is reading (on average) 2-3 mmol higher than my metres but this morning after breakfast it went even crazier and was reading between 12 and 14 mmol when my finger pricks were showing 7-8 mol ....makes for some very depressing reading on the reader re: time "in range" and my average levels....

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand your frustration but all the readings you've mentioned could be within the stated accuracies of the various devices.

Your blood test meters are only required to be accurate to +/- 20% . So in your last post, if the true value is say 6.0 then either of the blood meters could give readings between 4.8 and 7.2 and still be within tolerance. The Libre also falls in this range.

Blood tests are the best bench mark we have, but in truth are not very precise I'm afraid.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your frustration, madasmacus, but expect those would argued to be "in range". I sometimes wonder what's the point of being so diligent when I get different readings from different devices and find it frustrating that, even now, in 2015, there is no particularly accurate bg monitor. It doesn't help that I'm a bit OCD/perfectionist....

I don't know if there is something wrong with my blood (!) but I always get different readings - I once tested on 4 different BG metres at the same time and the readings were all over the place. It's hard to know what to trust. My current sensor (that Abbott is replacing) is reading (on average) 2-3 mmol higher than my metres but this morning after breakfast it went even crazier and was reading between 12 and 14 mmol when my finger pricks were showing 7-8 mol ....makes for some very depressing reading on the reader re: time "in range" and my average levels....

You know I wouldn't be so depressed over all this if it was bad from the start I would have thrown it away (labelled another waste of money) and got on with my life
But it realy realy did seem to show promise for 5 days heheh oh well

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand your frustration but all the readings you've mentioned could be within the stated accuracies of the various devices.

Your blood test meters are only required to be accurate to +/- 20% . So in your last post, if the true value is say 6.0 then either of the blood meters could give readings between 4.8 and 7.2 and still be within tolerance. The Libre also falls in this range.

Blood tests are the best bench mark we have, but in truth are not very precise I'm afraid.

All 3 meters where in sync for 5 days (+/- 0.5mmol)
  • now the sensor has flatlined
  • the libre Blood test sticks are now consistently low now
  • the only tech that's showing me what im used to now is the freestyle lite
yep ive banged my head at the +/- 20% many times before so
I have destroyed my fingers doing averaging (not spot checks)

Anyways I must stop moaning
Its all rubbish and I cant be !£"!"£ anymore :¬(

Thanks all and bye

Last edited by a moderator:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't throw the sensor away - it may be a better one.
Otherwise ignore the actual readings & do some experiments.
e.g. when your readings are nice and steady (no insulin/exercise/other food) eat some fast acting carbohydrate e.g. 2 jelly babies. This equates to about 10gms of carbohydrate (Sainsburys version)
Make a note of how long it is before your bg starts to rise.
Make a note of when it stops rising - all other things being equal it should then be steady.
Make a note of how much it rose.
Do a similar experiment with say 1 unit of insulin - as long as you are not too low to start with.
Make a note of when it starts to fall & when it stops.

This is invaluable information for future reference whether you use a CGM or not.

Reactions: 6 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't throw the sensor away - it may be a better one.
Otherwise ignore the actual readings & do some experiments.
e.g. when your readings are nice and steady (no insulin/exercise/other food) eat some fast acting carbohydrate e.g. 2 jelly babies. This equates to about 10gms of carbohydrate (Sainsburys version)
Make a note of how long it is before your bg starts to rise.
Make a note of when it stops rising - all other things being equal it should then be steady.
Make a note of how much it rose.
Do a similar experiment with say 1 unit of insulin - as long as you are not too low to start with.
Make a note of when it starts to fall & when it stops.

This is invaluable information for future reference whether you use a CGM or not.

Yes I think your right its worth some more testing :¬)

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else noticed a trend whereby their sensor loses accuracy at higher BG levels?

My sensor now seems to be relatively accurate again when I am at "normal" levels (it's still always higher than finger-pricks but generally not by more than 20%). However, when my BG hits 7-8mmol or more on fingerpricks the Libre seems to lose it completely and start reporting figures 50-100% higher....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you say higher, I've noticed it above 10 but not below 9. Above 10 it can be 40% higher.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always found them far less accurate at lower level - a couple of times the Libre missed a hypo completely. For example, when my BG was reporting 2.5 on one occasion, the Libre scanned at 5.5 with horizontal arrow - that's a big fail. And before anyone says it, it wasn't the lag, my BG was low but stable and moving very slowly as always - the Libre seems to find that scenario a challenge.

I would guess they are actually less accurate above and below a certain range - as blood testers are too.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

Strikt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys, I'm type 1 since 12 years now. I'd love to get this device, but they don't ship it or sell to where I live, although its EU. Does any body see a chance to help me get it. I'll pay it all. It is only a matter of making an order and sending to Poland!
Thanks for help!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really need to start logging food, exercise and insulin on my Libre so that everything is in one place rather than also having to spend time inputting data on to my iPhone app. What's really annoying though is that the Libre doesn't seem to allow 0.5 increments for insulin dosages?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really need to start logging food, exercise and insulin on my Libre so that everything is in one place rather than also having to spend time inputting data on to my iPhone app. What's really annoying though is that the Libre doesn't seem to allow 0.5 increments for insulin dosages?
You can change that in the Professional Options menu. It's easy to find the code if you google it.