Test strips

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a request for test strips declined for overuse!

Basically I only get 50 at a time, requested some Monday, and again today due to the bank holidays. They are refusing because of overuse. Where do I stand? I need to test before driving as standard and that's at least twice a day! Then fasting and mealtimes because I'm on insulin!!

I'm really cross and don't know what to do...I won't have any strips for Sunday or Monday at this rate :/:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'd suggest you go to the practise and ask to speak to someone. As you state your on insulin and are legally required to test before driving. They must give you some.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go in person to your practice, and see the Practice Manager as a matter of urgency. Explain how and why you use the strips, and ask for a prescription to cover the Bank holiday. Also ask of you can please have a repeat of at least 100 , so that you are not put on this dangerous position again.

After the bank holiday, if you are under the care of a hospital diabetes team, contact them and explain what has happened, and ask them if they would write a letter to your GP with recommendations that you have access to sufficient supplies.

It is unacceptable that an insulin user should be left without test strips, but it's usually a computer restriction that can be lifted immediately once the situation is explained.

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to say that the restrictions are usually applied by an administrator with no medical training , but are responsible for budgets. As such they don't always know that Type 1's and some Type 2's on insulin need the test strips to calculate their insulin doses, as well as before driving, hypo checks etc. I had oneractise manager tell me that she thought we tested once a day, to check it was in range :rolleyes:

Signy

paymaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience was the same with test strips. It is a matter of staff or maybe doctor training. Rules is rules so they would only give me 50.
After a letter of complaint, they gave me a prescription for 250.

However would you believe my current scenario. They only give me a box of 5 Insulin pens at a time and that lasts me for 14 days.........

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow...well I spoke to the doctor who said 'You are over testing' I explained that I need to do a fasting test and evening one plus mealtimes plus droving twice a day which is 6 hours apart!!! Sooooo....she said...wait for it....

'has anyone educated you about the use of testing strips'

Me: Yes of course which is why I test at appropriate times and before driving.

Her : You don't need to test before driving

Me: Excuse me?? What?

her: Who told you you needed to test before driving?

Me: Erm The DVLA, and also the leaflet I was given by the doctor when I was prescribed my insulin!

Her: That information is wrong.

Sooooo...I went up there and demanded to see the practice manager. He stated that I needed to test at least 2 hours before driving..and that with my average use of 6-8 strips a day that would amount to 16 hours driving. I asked him what about the strip I use for fasting? or the ones I use at mealtimes?

Honestly, my 7 year old know more than this lot :(

Needless to say, I got my prescription and a note to say no limit on test strips . Still not sure if I should take it further and complain about the fact this GP is handing out illegal advice :/

I feel let down, again, regarding the care from that surgery!!

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heathenlass I am not under the hospital, quite a few people have told me to contact my DSN at the hospital and get them to explain however I don't have.a hospital at all that I'm under...should I have? x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heathenlass I am not under the hospital, quite a few people have told me to contact my DSN at the hospital and get them to explain however I don't have.a hospital at all that I'm under...should I have? x

Given the rubbish advice you have quoted above, I would ask to be seen at your local hospital diabetes clinic ASAP ! :eek:

What the GP said about not testing before driving is insanely wrong ! If you were to take that advice as correct, and then have an accident whilst hypoglycaemic , it would be you that takes the consequences, and no amount of saying that your GP said you don't need to test would get you off, while the GP could just deny it.

For once, words fail me !:banghead:

Signy

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly how I felt when she said it haha. Which is why I'm wondering if I should take my compliant higher really. It's dangerous enough with people not being clued up, but a doctor issuing that advice is beyond shocking x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow...well I spoke to the doctor who said 'You are over testing' I explained that I need to do a fasting test and evening one plus mealtimes plus droving twice a day which is 6 hours apart!!! Sooooo....she said...wait for it....

'has anyone educated you about the use of testing strips'

Me: Yes of course which is why I test at appropriate times and before driving.

Her : You don't need to test before driving

Me: Excuse me?? What?

her: Who told you you needed to test before driving?

Me: Erm The DVLA, and also the leaflet I was given by the doctor when I was prescribed my insulin!

Her: That information is wrong.

Sooooo...I went up there and demanded to see the practice manager. He stated that I needed to test at least 2 hours before driving..and that with my average use of 6-8 strips a day that would amount to 16 hours driving. I asked him what about the strip I use for fasting? or the ones I use at mealtimes?

Honestly, my 7 year old know more than this lot :(

Needless to say, I got my prescription and a note to say no limit on test strips . Still not sure if I should take it further and complain about the fact this GP is handing out illegal advice :/

I feel let down, again, regarding the care from that surgery!!

Are the limitless strips still to be dispensed one pot at a time? If so, that just doesn't make sense! In understand the practise pays a fulfilment fee to the pharmacy for every script they fill, cutting those fees down a bit makes sense, surely. I doubt they'd give you 500 at a time, or anything like that, but surely a months worth would make sense, to all concerned.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To be honest I would put a written complaint in to yhe Practice Manager. I know he dealt with the issue but the HCP that dealt with you initially should be re educated. They have to follow NICE guidelines and she obviously wasn't for a IDD.
The letter only has to state that you were dis satisfied that this GP caused you distress and anxiety and has no awareness of the NICE guidelines of testing strips and that you wish to have confirmation that this GP will be re educated.
They will treat you with respect after a written complaint is put in. Mark it private and confidential.
The trouble is this GP could be affecting the health of other diabetics as well.

You would not be struck off, quite the reverse... You would gain respect that you are aware of NICE guidelines.

Do get back to a consultant...

Reactions: 2 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did ask and he said he will check with my actually GP but can't guarantee it so for now I'm having to go in every 8 days for a new pot. ridiculous