BS readings

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP got really crossed with the fact that I got a letter from diabetic nurse :eek::eek: and I saw her too
He said why did you have to go there, I said coz they called me, I mean its NHS not private that I go and sit and they will see me straightaway isnt it
So he said to me no need to go there, you can come to us whenever you want coz at the end of the day they are just nurses but we are doctors. I was a bit surprised coz he is GP so basically master of none jack of all sort of a person and diabetic nurse only knows diabetes and nothing else, although I have to say they are none the wiser, probably coz of the rigidity of nhs guidelines and they having to follow it.
Its the same with the DN, last time i only saw her for like 1 minute or less, she did not do anything except say to me wow you have reduced your a1c a lot so just keep doing what you are doing and I will see you in 6 months time, which is when my review is in may and gave me a blood test form and fobbed me off. Oh ya also said we should use you as a case study since you reduced your a1c so much.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't normally test at breakfast becasue I usually have the same things but, as i'm home, I deided to have a mushroom omelette - pre 5.8 and 2 hours after 5.1 so pleased with that result. I'm going out to lunch with an old friend later and will try to be good but.......

Reactions: 6 people

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't tested mine for some time...I just take my medicine when required. This morning after I woke up it was 12.2

Testing has become a way of life for me.
It is the only way I know first hand the current level of my Blood Glucose.
Knowing this allows me to make good decisions about what to eat and portion sizes.
I believe testing daily is the only way to effectively manage this condition, and reduce the chances of Diabetic complications in later life.

To say testing is important, for me, is but an understatement.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing has become a way of life for me.
It is the only way I know first hand the current level of my Blood Glucose.
Knowing this allows me to make good decisions about what to eat and portion sizes.
I believe testing daily is the only way to effectively manage this condition, and reduce the chances of Diabetic complications in later life.

To say testing is important, for me, is but an understatement.

But if you know mushroom omelette changes your BG my about 1.0 over 2 hours whats the point in keeping testing?

You may know what your BG is all the time.. but if you're not on insulin you can do nothing about it. Testing is about making future decisions surely.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But if you know mushroom omelette changes your BG my about 1.0 over 2 hours whats the point in keeping testing?

You may know what your BG is all the time.. but if you're not on insulin you can do nothing about it. Testing is about making future decisions surely.
However, depending on the results, you can decide whether or not to have that particular meal again. I only usually test first thing in the morning, late afternoon and when I've eaten something new.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
My GP got really crossed with the fact that I got a letter from diabetic nurse :eek::eek: and I saw her too
He said why did you have to go there, I said coz they called me, I mean its NHS not private that I go and sit and they will see me straightaway isnt it
So he said to me no need to go there, you can come to us whenever you want coz at the end of the day they are just nurses but we are doctors. I was a bit surprised coz he is GP so basically master of none jack of all sort of a person and diabetic nurse only knows diabetes and nothing else, although I have to say they are none the wiser, probably coz of the rigidity of nhs guidelines and they having to follow it.
Its the same with the DN, last time i only saw her for like 1 minute or less, she did not do anything except say to me wow you have reduced your a1c a lot so just keep doing what you are doing and I will see you in 6 months time, which is when my review is in may and gave me a blood test form and fobbed me off. Oh ya also said we should use you as a case study since you reduced your a1c so much.
Well done Brettsza,thats virtually word for word what my doc said.banghead !!!

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mikej1973
I test before I eat, and other times throughout the day.
I am a type 2, on medication (non insulin) and exercise.
For example, I know that a mushroom omelette over two hours gives me a BG rise of 1.0 mmol.

Knowing before I eat the omelette, that my current BG level is 7.8 allows me to make a sensible and informed decision regarding what I eat and the portion size.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mikej1973
I test before I eat, and other times throughout the day.
I am a type 2, on medication (non insulin) and exercise.
For example, I know that a mushroom omelette over two hours gives me a BG rise of 1.0 mmol.

Knowing before I eat the omelette, that my current BG level is 7.8 allows me to make a sensible and informed decision regarding what I eat and the portion size.

Of course 7.8 could be 6.3 or 9.4 I just don't think ito worth micromanaging to that degree when it's such an inexact science. It's great it works for you just wouldn't for.me

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Results for today:

Waking: 8.5
Breakfast: 7.4/7.1
Lunch: 6.9/7.0
Dinner: 6.2/7.1

I know it is early days as only been monitoring since Sunday but I am a little perplexed by my figures. Breakfast was 40g all bran, Lunch was 54g wholemeal cheese sandwich and two hot cross buns with butter. Dinner was a homemade mince chilli on a bed of mixed veg. However, my readings appear to be better after the higher carb meals?

I am going to follow the low carb way of eating (not good to have so many hot cross buns I know!) as I do believe that my numbers should be lower than they are. I have an internet food shop being delivered tomorrow of lots of good healthy food such as greek yoghurt, meat etc.

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mikej1973

Call it micromanaging, inexact science, I call it doing everything in my power to staying healthy and keeping me free from complications for as long as possible, firstly for me, my wife and my children.

My father was a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic. The last 10 years of his life was not living, it was existing.
He lost his sight, had constant infections, could not talk, had to be fed, was bed ridden and wore a nappy, to name but a few.
His death was painful, but at the same time a relief for me.

I do not want to travel down that road.
If I can manage this diabetes effectively by micromanaging my condition with this inexact science so be it.

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mikej1973

Call it micromanaging, inexact science, I call it doing everything in my power to staying healthy and keeping me free from complications for as long as possible, firstly for me, my wife and my children.

My father was a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic. The last 10 years of his life was not living, it was existing.
He lost his sight, had constant infections, could not talk, had to be fed, was bed ridden and wore a nappy, to name but a few.
His death was painful, but at the same time a relief for me.

I do not want to travel down that road.
If I can manage this diabetes effectively by micromanaging my condition with this inexact science so be it.

I agree with the principle...Whatever it takes. Sorry to hear about your dad too. Mine died not so long ago. Taking sometime so positive is a great tribute to him

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Results for today:

Waking: 8.5
Breakfast: 7.4/7.1
Lunch: 6.9/7.0
Dinner: 6.2/7.1

I know it is early days as only been monitoring since Sunday but I am a little perplexed by my figures. Breakfast was 40g all bran, Lunch was 54g wholemeal cheese sandwich and two hot cross buns with butter. Dinner was a homemade mince chilli on a bed of mixed veg. However, my readings appear to be better after the higher carb meals?

I am going to follow the low carb way of eating (not good to have so many hot cross buns I know!) as I do believe that my numbers should be lower than they are. I have an internet food shop being delivered tomorrow of lots of good healthy food such as greek yoghurt, meat etc.
You need to give your body a chance to get over the change in eating habits. Most people find it takes a few weeks before they notice a huge difference and for others it takes longer. It's the same with carbs some of us are more sensitive to them than others. If I had eaten what you had for lunch I would have shot up to around 10+ or more.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course 7.8 could be 6.3 or 9.4 I just don't think ito worth micromanaging to that degree when it's such an inexact science. It's great it works for you just wouldn't for.me
If you feel your in control of your diabetes and can manage without the knowledge of testing that's wonderful. Testing for me has been an amazing experience, I now understand what foods work for me and what foods don't. It has been a real eye opener, especially discovering that certain combinations work well and others don't. Before I started testing I had no idea how I was doing until my HBA1c test.... Now I can see how I am getting on a daily weekly or monthly basis.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to give your body a chance to get over the change in eating habits. Most people find it takes a few weeks before they notice a huge difference and for others it takes longer. It's the same with carbs some of us are more sensitive to them than others. If I had eaten what you had for lunch I would have shot up to around 10+ or more.

Many thanks for your post. I have so much to learn. This is what concerns me, that if continue on the path I have been that in time my body will get worn out and levels rise accordingly. I have all the markers of not looking after myself properly through my diet, such as weight around my middle, high blood pressure from when I was 29 and much lighter than I am now etc., etc.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you feel your in control of your diabetes and can manage without the knowledge of testing that's wonderful. Testing for me has been an amazing experience, I now understand what foods work for me and what foods don't. It has been a real eye opener, especially discovering that certain combinations work well and others don't. Before I started testing I had no idea how I was doing until my HBA1c test.... Now I can see how I am getting on a daily weekly or monthly basis.

I test all the time..But I know what impact kfc has on my BG now so I don't test after kfc! I haven't had fish and chips post diagnosis when I do I'll test. When I have a sachet of porridge it's never than 0.5 mmol higher 2 hours later. So I don't test after porridge

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's readings:

Waking 8.0
Breakfast: 7.7/6.3
Lunch: 6.3/5.2
Dinner: 5.8/6.6

On the whole I am happy with the downward trend in my numbers. Breakfast was 40g all bran as this was before the grocery shop delivery. All other meals were low carb.

I did have an afternoon snack of a hot cross bun and my reading 2 hrs afterwards was 7.6.

Reactions: 7 people

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a childish 'paddy' about being diabetic the last couple of days. Slipped off the bandwagon and didnt test. Been in the high 9s all day today, just tested and at 6.3 now. I will learn one day..