Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's readings are :

Waking 7.2
Breakfast 7.2/6.4
Lunch 6.2/6.3
Dinner 6.4/5.9

Between lunch and dinner I had 2 low carb snacks and half hot cross bun. All main meals were low carb.

Reactions: 6 people

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening,

Today's readings:

Waking 7.8
Breakfast 8.0/8.3
Dinner 6.6/6.3
Tea 6.5/6.7
Bedtime 7.3

On the whole been a good day. This morning I had a bad fibromyalgia neck/headache so wonder if this accounts for the 8's. All meals were low carb. Between tea and bedtime I had 1 1/2 squares of Lindt dark chocolate.

Reactions: 5 people

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope no one minds the back to back postings.

Today's readings are:

Waking 7.5
Breakfast 7.0/7.1
Lunch 6.2/6.1
Dinner 6.6/8.3
Bedtime 7.3

Breakfast and lunch were fully low carb. Dinner I had a sweet potato. Evening I succumbed to an hot cross bun with butter.

Advice please: if the sweet potato is the cause of a rise from 6.6 - 8.3 after two hours would you avoid the food, or as it is less than a 2 rise and within the NICE guidelines is it acceptable?

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hope no one minds the back to back postings.

Today's readings are:

Waking 7.5
Breakfast 7.0/7.1
Lunch 6.2/6.1
Dinner 6.6/8.3
Bedtime 7.3

Breakfast and lunch were fully low carb. Dinner I had a sweet potato. Evening I succumbed to an hot cross bun with butter.

Advice please: if the sweet potato is the cause of a rise from 6.6 - 8.3 after two hours would you avoid the food, or as it is less than a 2 rise and within the NICE guidelines is it acceptable?
Sweet potatoes spike me , either eat less or avoid.

Reactions: 6 people

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening,

Today's readings:

Waking 7.6
Dinner 6.5/6.2
Bedtime 7.7

Thanks Clive, I did not have a sweet potato this evening and the results reflect this as other components of both meals were low carb. Fewer readings taken today as I was in a 'couldn't be bothered' mood for the early part of the day. Am afraid to say that a hot cross bun and four wine gums were consumed during this time. Back on track again....

I am intrigued as to why bedtime figures are higher than after dinner readings, I am sure I will understand this in time, still early days.

Reactions: 5 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Evening,

Today's readings:

Waking 7.6
Dinner 6.5/6.2
Bedtime 7.7

Thanks Clive, I did not have a sweet potato this evening and the results reflect this as other components of both meals were low carb. Fewer readings taken today as I was in a 'couldn't be bothered' mood for the early part of the day. Am afraid to say that a hot cross bun and four wine gums were consumed during this time. Back on track again....

I am intrigued as to why bedtime figures are higher than after dinner readings, I am sure I will understand this in time, still early days.
PRob' because what has been eaten has turned into bs's by then !especially if it was slowly absorbed type meal.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That makes sense, thanks Clive.

Figures for today, not pretty! Higher than normal during the day, and then evening meal came and I was over tired so we had pie and chips from the chip shop. Didn't even enjoy it, so will not do this again.

Waking 7.6
Breakfast 8/7.9
Lunch 6.4/7.9
Dinner 6.6/11.4
Bedtime 9.3

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
That makes sense, thanks Clive.

Figures for today, not pretty! Higher than normal during the day, and then evening meal came and I was over tired so we had pie and chips from the chip shop. Didn't even enjoy it, so will not do this again.

Waking 7.6
Breakfast 8/7.9
Lunch 6.4/7.9
Dinner 6.6/11.4
Bedtime 9.3
Not too bad considering, but watch out for bs rises of more than 2.0 , as dr bernstein has observed .....for every o.1 up from normal 4.4 to 5.8 there will be consequences:( take care .

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too bad considering, but watch out for bs rises of more than 2.0 , as dr bernstein has observed .....for every o.1 up from normal 4.4 to 5.8 there will be consequences:( take care .

Although that is a single opinion almost many that say under 7.8 is fine. A number which non diabetics can often exceed.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Although that is a single opinion almost many that say under 7.8 is fine. A number which non diabetics can often exceed.
The only way to avoid complications is to try and remain in the " normal range" the desired bs range for normal non diabetics not just the " acceptable " which have been shown to still lead to complications.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your comments. My long term aim is to get my figures as close to the 'normal' range as I can, Although my figures have never been as high as many peoples I was experiencing blurred vision.

Back to being on track today.

Reactions: 3 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way to avoid complications is to try and remain in the " normal range" the desired bs range for normal non diabetics not just the " acceptable " which have been shown to still lead to complications.

Do you have a link? I've only seen one bit of research claiming damage is caused with readings over 5.6 and that is an OGTT 120minute reading of over 5.6 which is a completely different thing! If the study you refer to is different I've not seen it before, so would appreciate a link. :)

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both for your comments. My long term aim is to get my figures as close to the 'normal' range as I can, Although my figures have never been as high as many peoples I was experiencing blurred vision.

Back to being on track today.

and Peony - I'm sure you knew what would happen to your blood sugar after pie and chips. Once in a blue moon it's OK. Anything to stop the cure being worse than the disease!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Do you have a link? I've only seen one bit of research claiming damage is caused with readings over 5.6 and that is an OGTT 120minute reading of over 5.6 which is a completely different thing! If the study you refer to is different I've not seen it before, so would appreciate a link. :)
Too many to list ...but get a copy of jenny rhuhl's diet 101 , which shows and cites many studies done to show the increase risk ratios as bs's rise, hope this helps.

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
and Peony - I'm sure you knew what would happen to your blood sugar after pie and chips. Once in a blue moon it's OK. Anything to stop the cure being worse than the disease!

I was expecting a bad reading, but it has been the highest by far. I have to be careful not to derail myself too often as it can take an age to get back on track if I get despondent.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many to list ...but get a copy of jenny rhuhl's diet 101 , which shows and cites many studies done to show the increase risk ratios as bs's rise, hope this helps.

Thanks. That's the one with a single study that quotes the figure 5.6 for an oral glucose tolerance test. NOT 2hrs post meal. It's not the reading 5.6 that is critical in that study It's the propensity for people who have a ogtt reading over 5.6 to having damaging blood sugar at other times. The vast majority of non diabetics return a figure of greater than 5.6 after an ogtt.

Personally the 7.8 figure is a one that seems much more robust analytically to work on

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was expecting a bad reading, but it has been the highest by far. I have to be careful not to derail myself too often as it can take an age to get back on track if I get despondent.

If you hit that figure only once every few months you'll be fine. If you hadn't eaten and tested you'd have never known so I think it was positive test! You know the implications and can plan better for it