What I like about being Diabetic

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's funny, I met a guy in the gym who happened to have a pack of Dextrosols on the bench. My first question was "Are you diabetic". I then chatted for 45 mins about gym work. It's like we do have a secret club that has some very specific tells that only we can spot, but look innocent to others!

Reactions: 7 people

SpaceChick

I love the fact that I am far healthier since my diagnosis.

I had type 1.5 diagnosed after swine flu that damaged my heart.

It changed my life.

I am now fitter and healthier than I've been in years.

I cycle, I swim, I've started running.... I'm doing my first triathlon in 3 months aged 41.

The non-diabetic me would never have looked after herself as much!

And the great thing.... My heart is now normal again! Woo Hoo!!

Reactions: 15 people
G

graj0

I get a little sense of excitement if I see someone testing their blood or injecting and feel like I somehow know them in someway, I almost want to wave my hands at them and say "me too!"

It happens a lot in the waiting room at my surgery and I do say "Me too" and the great bit is that they don't think I'm a nutcase, we chat like we're old friends.

Reactions: 4 people

Mad Rach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost around 3 stone, finally got rid of the persistent headaches I suffered every few days, can wear short skirts, and can eat cream, cheese and lots of other dairy without feeling guilty! My type 2 diagnosis was a blessing in disguise.

Reactions: 8 people

jason134

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
diabetes at the moment
As a recently diagnosed t2 it's good to see people having a positive outlook on life gives me hope and strength that this is a turning point in my life for the better in a way. It's been a wake up call on my lifestyle choices

Reactions: 9 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a recently diagnosed t2 it's good to see people having a positive outlook on life gives me hope and strength that this is a turning point in my life for the better in a way. It's been a wake up call on my lifestyle choices

Hi Jason,

If you follow what happens on here you will feel fitter healthier and be happier.

Neil

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah yeah ! :D That would be a GOOD thing ! :D

But wait , wait ... what if we got prescribed a well rounded mature cheddar, got used and dependent on that, then the pricing authority decreed that NHS cheese would henceforth be Tesco Value Mild ?:eek::eek:

Oh the horror !:depressed:

Signy

Yes, so sorry for you, but it would be bliss for those of us who ADORE soapy, pale, mild cheese. Bring on the cuts in NHS cheese!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wait what's wrong with rolling up a trouser leg? Got a rather nice tattoo on show if I do that

I would need to drop my trousers to show my tatt... ;)

With regards to positivity.? I put Mickey Mouse ears on stuff... The Ds easy..

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My best point about being type 1 was doing the DAFNE course and I e-mail one of the nurses when I have a query. She also helped with changing my insulins. My daughter is also type 1 and on a pump...we try to beat each other when we get our HBA1Cs and we did DAFNE together.

Reactions: 10 people
G

gemma6549

My best point about being type 1 was doing the DAFNE course and I e-mail one of the nurses when I have a query. She also helped with changing my insulins. My daughter is also type 1 and on a pump...we try to beat each other when we get our HBA1Cs and we did DAFNE together.

That's lovely that you did DAFNE together, I'm trying to convince my dad but he's a bit old school and refuses. I really think it would help him though.

I keep in touch with all the people I did DAFNE with which is really nice, and like you I have a good relationship with the nurses and can contact them anytime.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Such a nice idea, Gemma.

For me, I appreciate the diagnosis, because it is forcing me to eat healthy and exercise. It isn't about my vanity anymore, but about my health.

Reactions: 3 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I phone the doctors surgery I always get priority because I am Diabetic. Never have to wait for weeks to get an appointment.
Get to eat chocolate at strange times like in the middle of the night.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's lovely that you did DAFNE together, I'm trying to convince my dad but he's a bit old school and refuses. I really think it would help him though.

How old is your dad? If you don't mind me asking..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I like about being diabetic is my Accu Chek Mobile meter. It's an awesome piece of design, just about perfect. All gadgets should be this handy.

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was sad being diabetic until I heard about the FREE CHEESE!!!! :-D

Sadly, the Cheese Parers in Northumbria HCT have taken their job too literally, and removed the free cheese entitlement for diabetics :(

Signy

Reactions: 3 people