What's the best thing for dry, itchy skin?

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion! It used to do a very good job of softening and soothing my dry, itchy skin. Actually, I used to get very dry, itchy skin on my hands around the fall and sometimes in the winter, for years. And now, I get very dry, itchy skin on my hands in the spring and summer! And, unfortunately, the Aveeno doesn't work quite as well, anymore. :-( I used to put it on before bed and by morning, my hands were plump and moist and ready to go. It even helped me sleep, it really is calming! Knocked me out! It's just not the same for me, anymore. I was hoping someone might know of something that could help my dry, itchy skin. Preferably unscented, but if it smells like cucumbers, I'm not against it, either! Please let me know -- it's really getting on my nerves! Thanks in advance!

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I found the only thing that helps me, is Eucerin 10% ww. It is unscented as well. The only drawback, is that it is expensive.

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Flexitol hand balm. Expensive but good an not greasy

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own ointment 300mls oil (avocado is good for very dry skin, or olive) 1oz beeswax, essential oil to scent if required. Melt together pour into an airtight jar.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've found the Hemp range from the Body Shop really good. I have the hand cream (in a tube) which really makes a difference to my hands, unlike so many other creams I've tried. It's not cheap but its often on offer so I get it then. I also have a Hemp butter which I use for my body.

For itching, I use aloe vera gel by Banana Boat. I find it really soothing. It moisturises too, but I generally put extra moisturiser on after its soaked in as my skin is quite dry.

Reactions: 2 people

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the Hemp handcream an footcream a few years ago and I found it did the job but I wasn't keen on the smell

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm living in the sunshine right now, so need to be moisturising like mad.

I use either Shea Butter or a really cheap and cheerful oil from ASDA. It's from their baby range, and is in a mister, pump container. Curiously, after a moment it isn't at all greasy, but leaves a lovely sheen on the skin.

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the only thing that helps me, is Eucerin 10% ww. It is unscented as well. The only drawback, is that it is expensive.

I know -- and here I thought Aveeno was pricey! About the only time I ever used Eucerin was when my sister had eczema and her dermatologist gave her a bunch of free Eucerin samples! :)

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make my own ointment 300mls oil (avocado is good for very dry skin, or olive) 1oz beeswax, essential oil to scent if required. Melt together pour into an airtight jar.

The thing about oils is, they make my dry, itchy skin .......... itchier! And, it stings a little. :-(

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've found the Hemp range from the Body Shop really good. I have the hand cream (in a tube) which really makes a difference to my hands, unlike so many other creams I've tried. It's not cheap but its often on offer so I get it then. I also have a Hemp butter which I use for my body.

For itching, I use aloe vera gel by Banana Boat. I find it really soothing. It moisturises too, but I generally put extra moisturiser on after its soaked in as my skin is quite dry.

I actually used to use that Hemp stuff from the Body Shop and the Banana Boat one. I wasn't crazy about the smell of either one. And, it didn't really help. Thanks, though! :-(

Alicia R

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm living in the sunshine right now, so need to be moisturising like mad.

I use either Shea Butter or a really cheap and cheerful oil from ASDA. It's from their baby range, and is in a mister, pump container. Curiously, after a moment it isn't at all greasy, but leaves a lovely sheen on the skin.

The only "sheen" I want on my skin is .......... Charlie! (Sheen) :-X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Hemp handcream an footcream a few years ago and I found it did the job but I wasn't keen on the smell

Yes, the smell is a bit...different. To be honest, I don't notice it during the day, but at night I sometimes just put a fruity or fragranced butter over the top of it on my hands. I think the hand cream smell is stronger than the body butter or body wash. I like it because it's the on,y hand cream that's actually changed the look and feel of my hands. Others seem to 'wear off' and you woukdnt know you've used them, but that Hemp one seems to have an ongoing effect.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually used to use that Hemp stuff from the Body Shop and the Banana Boat one. I wasn't crazy about the smell of either one. And, it didn't really help. Thanks, though! :-(

Ok : D I'm trawling through all the hand creams I've used in my mind now : D (my hands and feet are always the driest part of my skin). There's a Neutrogena Sesame Oil, which smells very mild and isn't greasy. I also found a Garnier body Lotion and hand cream good. I don't remember it's exact name, but it's an intensive one and is in pale green tubes and plastic bottles. I think it says it moisturises for 24 hrs or something. I don't know about that, but I can still feel how soft my legs are the following morning.

If you like the Body Shop (but not the Hemp smell!) then the Mango Body Butter is very moisturising too : )

Tilinghetuna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive been going through a number of creams and stumbled on "O'Keeffe's Working Hands" does the job a treat

carliannie

H
I love Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion! It used to do a very good job of softening and soothing my dry, itchy skin. Actually, I used to get very dry, itchy skin on my hands around the fall and sometimes in the winter, for years. And now, I get very dry, itchy skin on my hands in the spring and summer! And, unfortunately, the Aveeno doesn't work quite as well, anymore. :-( I used to put it on before bed and by morning, my hands were plump and moist and ready to go. It even helped me sleep, it really is calming! Knocked me out! It's just not the same for me, anymore. I was hoping someone might know of something that could help my dry, itchy skin. Preferably unscented, but if it smells like cucumbers, I'm not against it, either! Please let me know -- it's really getting on my nerves! Thanks in advance!
Hi Alicia
E45 cream is good on its own but if you add geranium, lavender and chamomile to it it will take it to a different level. You would have to add it in therapeutic dose, so for example if you purchased a 30ml jar if e45 you half of that in drops so that would be 15 drops across the 3 oils so 5 of each. The chamomile is a anti histamine affect and will help with the itching as will the lavender, lavender is also good skin regenerater and very soothing its great fir dry skin. You could add them to any other base cream that you fancy, your veeno would be good. I am a qualified clinical aromatherapist so you can trust my information good luck

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Dr Organic Shea body butter creams v nice. The vitamin E one is 100% organic and have been using on feet and hands.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to avoid anything with lanolin in as allergic too it, but get Cetraben from Dr which I use on my legs as they are so dry and this helps a lot. However, it is an emollient so quite thick so can only use it sparingly and at night.

DebbieC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear, I know the feeling!! I've tried all sorts, because I too have certain sensitivities to different things. Lanolin is one of them. I find a lot of creams sting if I have broken skin. I am 'lucky' in that I am also on medication for an underactive thyroid and this entitled me to free prescriptions in England, because I have found that the best thing for me is Diprobase lotion for my body and Diprobase ointment for my hands, which I get prescribed for me.

I apply the ointment at night, wearing white cotton gloves because of course it is greasy, but it gives me a good start for the next day! I've recently moved to Wales, where prescriptions are actually free for everyone (long may it continue!)

Diprobase lotion comes in a 500ml bottle with plunger which is handy and it doesn't leave a greasy residue. I have also recently started using a Nivea handcream during the day, which is inexpensive and is easily absorbed. So far this seems to be working well too.

There is also a Diprobase cream that comes in a tube, which my new doc prescribed for me in error, but this one stings if I have broken skin. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search for the right one for you.

Reactions: 4 people

fleurtess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spiteful people, noisy naughty kids
Oh dear, I know the feeling!! I've tried all sorts, because I too have certain sensitivities to different things. Lanolin is one of them. I find a lot of creams sting if I have broken skin. I am 'lucky' in that I am also on medication for an underactive thyroid and this entitled me to free prescriptions in England, because I have found that the best thing for me is Diprobase lotion for my body and Diprobase ointment for my hands, which I get prescribed for me.

I apply the ointment at night, wearing white cotton gloves because of course it is greasy, but it gives me a good start for the next day! I've recently moved to Wales, where prescriptions are actually free for everyone (long may it continue!)

Diprobase lotion comes in a 500ml bottle with plunger which is handy and it doesn't leave a greasy residue. I have also recently started using a Nivea handcream during the day, which is inexpensive and is easily absorbed. So far this seems to be working well too.

There is also a Diprobase cream that comes in a tube, which my new doc prescribed for me in error, but this one stings if I have broken skin. I hope this helps. Good luck with your search for the right one for you.
I use Diprobase too and find it really does help with my legs and hands. My fingers get quite sore from dry skin, I hate itchy legs it's an ough to drive me nuts. As I am a pensioner and live in scotland prescriptions are free. I have Diprobase in a large bottle with a plunger.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Diprobase works good for me. Used E45 and DoubleBass before but aggravated skin and they take ages to dry and still feel "greasy". No problems with Diprobase and hopefully his will continue.

Reactions: 4 people