New pump today! Is it working properly??

victry77

Hi all

Got set up on pump this morning but I'm actually questioning whether it's actually delivering any insulin!!

MY BG has been steadily rising all day. Correction dose this afternoon didn't seem to touch it.

Had my tea earlier on and gave myself my normal bolus of 1:8 (instead on my new ratio of 1:15) and just tested and I'm 24!!!

There are no problems flashing up on my pump. I'm delivering the bolus as I should be, but yet when I look in my bolus history it is only showing the 0.5 I bolused as I test to make sure it was coming out of the tubing.

Pump is Medtronic. Anyone know what might be wrong? I have taken a correction using my pen. I'm just worried about my basal through the night.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you sure you pressed Act when you bolussed? Try disconnecting and do another bolus. If it doesn't register, there's something wrong and you'll have to contact Medtronic.

Reactions: 2 people

victry77

Hi, yes, I pressed ACT and it does the little vibrate thing to tell me how many units are being delivered. I'll do what you say and disconnect and trying a bolus. Thanks.

Toe31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have a diabetes nurse or equivalent that you can contact at any point during the first few days following your pump fitting? I found this support invaluable the first few days? Cant let high sugars go on for too long, Persevere though as it will be worth it. I hope you get it sorted soon.

victry77

Yes, she did the whole pump thing this morning and call at 4pm to see how it was going. She's calling tomorrow. I did feel everything this morning was rather rushed, though.

OK, I can NOT disconnect. I'm trying to line up the little blue triangles at it is not budging!

Toe31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, she did the whole pump thing this morning and call at 4pm to see how it was going. She's calling tomorrow. I did feel everything this morning was rather rushed, though.

OK, I can NOT disconnect. I'm trying to line up the little blue triangles at it is not budging!

If it is anything like mine, you need to squeeze both the two sides in as you remove it?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Victry77, because I'm waiting to be upgraded, I presumed you were the same.

As a new pumper, your basals won't necessarily be at the correct levels and will need tweaked when a pattern shows up.

What infusion set are you using? I often find difficulty when trying to disconnect my Mios.

Make sure you're pressing the bit that detaches and not the part on the actual set. Hope you understand what I mean by that!

Toe31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember how all over the place i felt when I had mine fitted in November. I had excellent support from my Diabetes nurse, which was even available through he night if required.

victry77

OK, I know what I was doing wrong! I was not even delivering my bolus properly!!

I was setting it and pressing ACT but you need to press ACT twice. How do I come out of pump training not knowing something so basic? Maybe because the nurse sped through it (there were three of us there) and I was even discouraged at one point to make notes - even though there were pens and notepads there!!

Thank you for all your help :)

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
OK, I know what I was doing wrong! I was not even delivering my bolus properly!!

I was setting it and pressing ACT but you need to press ACT twice. How do I come out of pump training not knowing something so basic? Maybe because the nurse sped through it (there were three of us there) and I was even discouraged at one point to make notes - even though there were pens and notepads there!!

Thank you for all your help :)
Bed time reading tonight will be your manual :)

victry77

Ha ha! Yeah, definitely! I wouldn't mind, I'd already read over it once. I learn by doing, though, and making notes. I thought the flashing and vibrations meant it was delivering the bolus. D'oh!

Toe31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found it really helpful to keep a really detailed diary for the first few weeks, that way i didn't forget anything when speaking to nurse. It also helps for all those firsts that you will have.

Reactions: 8 people

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got it, THANK YOU!
Adapting to pumping is hard work and a steep learning curve! I have been pumping for 12 weeks now and am still learning something new every day. It wasn't the best start for you, but you dealt with it and used this site wisely for people's experiences and guidance. Keeping a diary will help, If you write everything down you can always refer back to it, and you can see how far you have progressed!! Try not to put pressure on yourself to get it right- it's trial and error and everyone is an individual and what works for one person may not work for another, comparisons can get confusing, stay focussed, especially on the hard days! (They will come!!) but you will see progress. For me it's been a gradual progression but I can see that now and can't believe the difference in how I feel! Good luck

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope your first night with pump went ok @victry77 after the hiccup yesterday, I've been pumping just over a year and still do the occasional silly thing, and sometimes want to throw it out the window, but couldn't imagine life without it now! Glad you got it all sorted :)

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you have a Medtronic pump download the software and upload your results every 2 days then you can look back and it will show you all the things that the pump has done right from when you refilled how much insulin you use to fill ,all your basal rate. everything that the pump has done.this is very handy.

Reactions: 4 people

victry77

Thank you for all your replies! Very much appreciated since I got off to a very rocky first day.

I managed to get my BG level down ~ in fact a bit too much ~ as I then had a hypo (2.7) at 11pm and then again (2.4) at 2.30am!

However, I woke this morning at 7.7, I changed my ratio from what was set at 1:15 to 1:12 and have just tested for lunch and I am 6.6 :)

So, a good start to the day. I figured seen as though my basal didn't begin until 12am this morning that I would count today as my first day and scrap yesterday (just call that that the 'getting hooked up' day). I will begin my diary from today onwards.

I did half-wake a few times through the night, checking I was still plugged in. I bought a handy little leg strap that I plan to pop it into for sleeping and everything was nice and comfy.

Looking forward to my lunch now as I'm bloomin' hungry :D Thank you all again for your help xx

Reactions: 3 people

victry77

Thank you for the link, noblehead. I have taken a week off work next week (currently on 'spring break'), so I will get to basal testing then.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When basal testing you will only really get true results from doing your normal day to day routines....
Many DSN's and consultants say to do it on a non busy day but unless you do it on a 'normal" day your results will not be "normal"...

Reactions: 4 people