1st insight problem

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have started using insulin in my insight pump for the first time today. By 11pm I noticed a couple of air bubbles in the tubing. I refilled the tube to remove the bubble.
Now at 9 pm there are another couple of bubbles. I will repeat the earlier steps to remove.
What I want to know is:
Why are they happening?
What can I do to prevent it from happening again?
What will happen if I get more in the night?
Thanks

Eglinton71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi lisacp, are you making sure the new cartridge is at room temp before loading it?

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took my first cartridge out of the fridge at around 8 am this morning and put it into the pump for the first time around 10.30.
I have already taken my next cartridge out of the fridge ready for when this one runs out.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How big are the bubbles? The worst thing that can happen is reduced insulin is delivered. If the bubbles are big enough to block the pump, it will alarm.

A few very small bubbles you can't get rid of is not the end of the world. Learning how to minimise bubbles comes with practice.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Make sure the tube is attached securely to the pump. Apart from that the bubbles will be coming from air in the reservoir so recheck the reservoir. I don't know your pump so I don't know how that works exactly.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Spiker, Some of the bubbles are small, like champagne bubbles. The ones that are bothering me are about 2mm long. The insight is pre filled cartridge

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you are priming the tube are you holding the tube straight and upright with the pump at the bottom and the open end of the tube at the top? That's the best way to allow air to leave the tube in priming.

Even a 2mm long bubble the whole width of the tube is only a small fraction of 1u insulin missed so need to worry massively. You can just keep working on your technique over time.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I wasn't doing that Spiker, will try harder next time. Thanks ;)

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

A good tip from @CarbsRok regarding bubbles, is position the pump vertical so that tube is at bottom, then any bubbles will go to the other end of the cartridge and not in to the tube.

Another way is to get the cartridge up to the same temperature as it would get inside the pump. Try putting the cartridge close to yr body for abou 5hrs so gets warm and then the air bubbles will be in the cartridge and you can flick gently to get them to be one large bubble and then attach tube and prime it out.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The Insight pump tube goes sideways along the bottom of it so holding the tubing up doesn't really make any difference. Holding the pump vertical does not put the tube vertical....

Make sure that you always use the prefilled option for cartridges.

The small bubbles are from the insulin warming up. They are nothing compared to the combo bubbles....

You can reprime if bothered but nothing too much to worry about to be honest...

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
A good tip from @CarbsRok regarding bubbles, is position the pump vertical so that tube is at bottom, then any bubbles will go to the other end of the cartridge and not in to the tube.

Another way is to get the cartridge up to the same temperature as it would get inside the pump. Try putting the cartridge close to yr body for abou 5hrs so gets warm and then the air bubbles will be in the cartridge and you can flick gently to get them to be one large bubble and then attach tube and prime it out.

Problem with that method though is the air will still then move and find its way to the pipe. The air needs to be primed out
That's what I have been advised. :)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Not guilty @his :)
My pump stays the correct way up as have never had any problems with bubbles :) Having used injections for 42 years, before I went on the pump I learnt how to make sure no bubbles ever went in my syringe or cartridge.
Sorry no suggestions for OP.

iHs

Lol......whoever it was, the tip was good as air bubbles will always rise to the top so positioning the Accu chek pumps on the body or on belt so that the tube joins the cartridge vertical, should enable any bubble to stay in the cartridge and not travel to the tube until the cartridge runs out of insulin. Until I sorted how I got rid of the bubbles the iHs way, I always took out the Combo cartridge when it was down to the last 10u. At night when going to bed, I put the pump in the swivel clip pump holder and clipped the pump vertical on the edge of the pillowcase as the tube wasnt that long to hang the pump in a sock with a piece of elastic through the top and hang on the edge of the bed headboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
nope it was DD :)
Yep, I always had probs with combo pump.

I saw a large bubble in the tube with my 1st cartridge on this Insight pump and actually (as I always do!!) sent a picture to Accuchek because the rep on that 1st day clearly stated "no more bubbles".

However, as with all liquids that have been sealed into a container and having it change warmth etc I have myself now accepted up to 2mm bubbles in my tube without priming them out....

Reasons being for accepting: the cartridges are so small I can't afford to waste insulin!! And I know that the warmth if sun or cold when I'm working outside and then coming indoors etc is really not Accuchek or Novorapid fault. Finally, i only see my tube when I get dressed or undeessed so theres another 23hrs 50mins everyday that I wouldn't see a bubble-so what the heck!! I don't normally check tubes nowadays at all. Ist time yesterday since the big bubble on my 1st day with Insight.

Has taken me a very long time to forget bubbles but the Insight loading, the fact there isn't a lueur that can loosen as I used to get has just enabled me to relax a little bit!!

Seems strange to write this now as I used to get so frustrated previously...

Still wear pump vertical on arm though!! Would never wear it horizontal despite the total different aspect to the cartridge being loaded and the tube positioning with the Insight. Even lying in bed the pump remains vertical.. Still couldn't stop doing this!!