Absolutely deflated with myself

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Bloods have been perfect since changing pump this morning mid 6s to 7 had scrambled egg on 2 wholemeal slices about 4.30 and have just hit a 3.4 bit disappointed but ok now I bolused 4 units for the wholemeal I think it's been caused by the mentally demanding day I've had not just the pump but bits and pieces and flipping getting up at 4am

Reactions: 5 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Funny thing I've got a box of flex link, a box of Rapids and a few bits and bobs but only 40cm of tubing on any of them been told to try not to use the flex link as they have a tendency to kink so I'm using the Rapids ( eagerly awaiting release of tenders ) only problem im use to 100cm I've pulled cannula out once already because tubing is to short , should be fun trying to get comfortable in bed tonight, I've placed it round to my right side as with rotation today is the right side but it just about reaches my pocket I've ordered some supplies so I'll have to be careful until they arrive, oh the trivial things that try us.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Funny thing I've got a box of flex link, a box of Rapids and a few bits and bobs but only 40cm of tubing on any of them been told to try not to use the flex link as they have a tendency to kink so I'm using the Rapids ( eagerly awaiting release of tenders ) only problem im use to 100cm I've pulled cannula out once already because tubing is to short , should be fun trying to get comfortable in bed tonight, I've placed it round to my right side as with rotation today is the right side but it just about reaches my pocket I've ordered some supplies so I'll have to be careful until they arrive, oh the trivial things that try us.
Put some tape a couple of cm above the cannula on the tubing. No pressure on the cannula then, so can't be pulled out.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Put some tape a couple of cm above the cannula on the tubing. No pressure on the cannula then, so can't be pulled out.
Good idea

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DD I have been trying the multi wave because my dsn told me that if my carb intake exceeded 60g
I could not administer that amount of insulin in one go and that I should put it onto muliwave.
When I had a tin of soup and a couple of slices of thick crusty bread it was over the 60g so I gave it a go. I won't try it again.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
DD I have been trying the multi wave because my dsn told me that if my carb intake exceeded 60g
I could not administer that amount of insulin in one go and that I should put it onto muliwave.
When I had a tin of soup and a couple of slices of thick crusty bread it was over the 60g so I gave it a go. I won't try it again.
Max delivery I would do in one hit is 10 units after that I've just split the dose in two and leave a gap of 1/2 hr or I have the 10 units + with a TBR its seemed to have worked for me over the years pumping

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

How much insulin would you be taking with say the bread and soup?

How longer period would you multiwave over?

I know a young lady that is on a pump has larger needs for bolus's but she doesn't multiwave.

I understand dsn thoughts on multiwave but eould be interested as to what period you use to multiwave and hos you split the dosage.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was working on a ratio of 1 unit per 10g carb so therefor it was about 61/2 units.
My dsn told me to spread it over 2 hours and have about 30% upfront.
My bg before eating was 5.6 and 2 hours later it was around 15. I don't know whether it was the length of time or how I split the dose that was the problem. Another issue that I have is that due to another medical condition I have to take steroids daily meaning that for my evening meal I have to work on 1 unit of insulin per 5 carb this means that my dose easily exceeds 6 units. Tonight I had a meal that meant that I needed 10 units of insulin I tried a standard bolus and that has worked really well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm not surpised you going high based on those multiwave timings for normal food.

Most people start on 1 to 10g when new on a pump.

To me it is dangerous to start off doing multiwaves for simple bread and soup. If it was a 3 cheese pizza I would say MW.. but no way for soup and bread.

If you need to do so because of larger qtys of insulin being used for something like bread and soup you should do the MW over the most minimal time and always shove thru the 5 units straight away and the rest over the shortest time possible.

Will catch back up in morning... As getting late... Glad the 10 units worked ok tonight...

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been to my pre pump dietician meeting and was told that if over 50g in one meal then should use the extended bolus feature. The question of how long to extend it was answered with "trial and error". Do you all use this rule?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have been to my pre pump dietician meeting and was told that if over 50g in one meal then should use the extended bolus feature. The question of how long to extend it was answered with "trial and error". Do you all use this rule?

Never....I used multi wave an odd couple times in over 4.5 years.

However, this may be because I mainly eat salads and carbs which for my whole day are below 50.

Accuchek did a good article in one of their pump magazines last year...i think I sent it to somebody though.

The odd occasions have been for pizza about 4 years ago. The pizza was cheese loaded. For food like fish n chips from shops because it is such a heavy carb meal I have to use a TBR over night, and also for takeaways.

I do understand the need for multiwave for over 5 units.. But not extending it for 2 hours for a bowl of soup and bread.....perhaps to do a MW OF 5 units upfront and the rest at the shortest time your pump will allow.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Never use the multiwave and been pumping 8 years :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried the multiwave once, when starting from a morning low point adn having a bowl of porridge loaded with nuts, to try and match the insulin profile to the food.

I generally don't eat enough carbs to worry about delayed portions of bolus for slow digestion.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i would try using a different browsers. firefox.etc. my software for medtronic pump wont work on chrome only IE. also its need the most up to date JAVA
and you need to follow the usb driver install to the letter as it wont work. PS [ hate windows 8.1
i go back to the good old days of DOS .6.2 loading systems with the boot disc that you made yourself and partitioning drive so the kids couldn't mess it all up. happy days:)

Is there software for the Medtronic pump? Where do you get it from? Does it matter which pump?

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there software for the Medtronic pump? Where do you get it from? Does it matter which pump?
The software is called carelink you need to register with medtronic web site and you need to be using the contour link usb meter or a dongle then you can download it.
it is web based so you can give your DSN or Doctor your password and they see how you are doing online . saves keep going to the doctors. i would ask them first to see if your pump is compatible.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Windows 8.1 is notorious for nothing working on it. It's not you, @masonbason63. My trusty Vibe upload was working fine and completely popped its clogs when I got Windows 8.1.

Reactions: 3 people