Driving License Renewal

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm going to be 18 in 3 weeks but I need to get my driving license renewed within the next couple of weeks. I'm getting quite worried/Stressed about it as I have been struggling lately and I'm worried that my doctor won't let me drive anymore.

I'm worried that if she doesn't I will have to tell my parents and they won't be happy as they are quite strict and can get quite short tempered as they don't know how badly I have been struggling.

Unfortunately I have issues when it comes to trusting people due to past experience which is why I deal with a lot of things on my own.

I'm hoping someone out there can give me some reassurance over this as if I keep stressing like I am I might have a meltdown.

Aimee :) xx

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
so long as you have not needed assistance if you have been hypo you should be ok

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all,

I'm going to be 18 in 3 weeks but I need to get my driving license renewed within the next couple of weeks. I'm getting quite worried/Stressed about it as I have been struggling lately and I'm worried that my doctor won't let me drive anymore.

I'm worried that if she doesn't I will have to tell my parents and they won't be happy as they are quite strict and can get quite short tempered as they don't know how badly I have been struggling.

Unfortunately I have issues when it comes to trusting people due to past experience which is why I deal with a lot of things on my own.

I'm hoping someone out there can give me some reassurance over this as if I keep stressing like I am I might have a meltdown.

Aimee :) xx

Hi Babyboscher,

The final decision rests with DVLA but if they write to you doctor then it will depend what is reported back. When you say 'struggling' what exactly do you mean? Do have hypo's that require the assistance of a third party or have you lost hypo awareness?

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Babyboscher,

The final decision rests with DVLA but if they write to you doctor then it will depend what is reported back. When you say 'struggling' what exactly do you mean? Do have hypo's that require the assistance of a third party or have you lost hypo awareness?

I haven't needed assistance with hypos in a very long time!

When I say struggling I mean it in a way of struggling to cope with my diabetes so my blood sugars haven't been as well controlled as they have been but they have slightly improved.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I haven't needed assistance with hypos in a very long time!

When I say struggling I mean it in a way of struggling to cope with my diabetes so my blood sugars haven't been as well controlled as they have been but they have slightly improved.

Ok, so you're a bit high most of the time? Unless this is affecting your health in some other way (eyesight ?) then you 'probably' won't have a problem. DVLA are mostly interested in the hypo thing and knowing whether you're likely to collapse whilst in control of a vehicle, (as I understand it but happy to be corrected by forum members.)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just make sure you read the questionnaire very carefully and put the ticks in the correct place. A careless tick could cost you your driving licence. You will be fine. :)
As to your problems is there anything any of us can do to help?

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Just had mine renewed
Type 1 driver for 30 years.
Usually takes 3 or 4 months to get 3 yr licence renewed.
3 yrs ago doctor added notes to help my application but it hindered it as if additional notes are added to the diabetic questionnaire then it has to be dealt with by a DVLA doctor and there aren't enough of them.If just the boxes are ticked then staff can deal with the application.
This year I sent my licence application in by recorded delivery on 15th April and 10 days later had my new 3 yr licence with a letter dated 17th April i.e.2 days after my application was sent in.
First time I've never had to have medicals, wye tests etc etc.
You'll be ok if you are hypo aware and havent needed assistance more than once (?) if youve had a hypo.It's now a condition of your licence you test before driving and every 2 hours when behind the wheel.Police can request to look at your meter if you're stopped from speaking to another type 1 diabetic while waiting to see my diabetologist this morning.
Don't worry about it.