Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning, about half an hour after getting up, 6.1. I don't know if this is good - it's my first FBG measurement (i got a meter yesterday and had 5.0 two hours after lunch)

Reactions: 26 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

To be honest, you completely miss the point. The facts are that if I eat X amount of carb a day and achieve Y result, that's completely personal to me, my metabolism, my lifestyle, exercise, climate and even the day. Someone else replicating the testing exercise is almost certain to return different results, because they're them, and not me. I offered you the insight that, for me, reducing my carb consumption into the very low carb brackets didn't suit me, and my numbers didn't react in a way I expected. Actually, I had hoped you might merely find it interesting someone else had experienced something broadly similar (although not 14gr for me) to your own experience. The minutiae is too personal to be relevant to you, as we are highly unlikely to be unconsciously mirroring each other.

I have stopped posting my numbers on the fasting thread these days as I am no longer on the Diabetic Register, and it could be considered disingenuous for a non-diabetic to post on there, bearing in mind the thread specifies it is a T2 thread, and it is hosted in the T2 section of the forum. Mentally, I still treat my diet and lifestyle as if I were diabetic, in terms of continuing to eat a carb controlled diet, and exercising etc, but officially, I appear to have been successful in putting the condition into abeyance.

When I was recording my numbers, on the fasting thread, more than once I received opprobrium for posting very low numbers. Some posters feel my numbers are unnaturally low, and some even suggest I must be on starvation rations to maintain as I do. Trust me, I eat plenty, and indeed more than my OH, and he has a hearty appetite. We live very active lives, and eat extremely well, but healthily in the terms we understand in this community. My personal fasting range is 3.5 - 4.5, almost irrespective of what I do these days. I would actually have to try to drive my scores up, if I went along with even some posters on the main forum, and I’m not entirely sure how successful I would be, to be honest. In terms of my diet, it is fresh foods, reduced carbs, with enough fat to satisfy any hunger pangs. I exercise daily and carry no weight. Any insulin resistance I was suffering at diagnosis appears to have significantly improved.

In terms of my giving, or otherwise, to the forum, I feel I have given of myself and offered decent and honest support to many members, in various contexts. I have often-times written long and detailed responses to queries, and where I think it offers material benefit, I will divulge information about myself, but I don’t choose to live my life on the internet, and I don’t choose to disclose many personal details. I find it somewhat ironic these comments coming from someone whose profile is hidden and has no signature.

But, I’m not here to cause hassle or be worked up by “….. just pixels on a screen …”. The current proliferation of sock puppets, trolls and flamers take care of that quite well enough.

Good night.
Sorry, off topic, but when you are no longer on the diabetic register, do you still get offered annual retinal screening?

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning, about half an hour after getting up, 6.1. I don't know if this is good - it's my first FBG measurement (i got a meter yesterday and had 5.0 two hours after lunch)
Well done those numbers are good. Are you type 2 and are you on any medication

Reactions: 13 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AndBreathe,

I really cant understand your attitude

I'm really struggling here, to understand how you have come to the conclusion you have, and level criticism @AndBreathe , when you have your personal data blocked and you have no signature!

Neil

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

5.2 fasting this morning. Pee ketones 1.5 ish.

Some great personal numbers coming in by peps - adds a bit of colour to an otherwise grey and windy day down here at saga central.

Reactions: 20 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done those numbers are good. Are you type 2 and are you on any medication
Thanks! I'm Type 2, recently diagnosed, not given any medication but told to lose weight. Actually, more than told - I've been referred to a dietician, bariatric surgery assessment and a diabetic education programme (Right Start). These appointments are coming up in May and June. In the last 10 days (since I started posting here) I managed to get back onto Low Carb, though, so I'm hoping that helps.

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, off topic, but when you are no longer on the diabetic register, do you still get offered annual retinal screening?

No, Avocado. I don't believe I do.

Whilst it may not be quite the same, my optician does retina photography on every sight test, which I have annually anyway, so I have a safety net of sorts there. I am still to have an annual HbA1c, on the basis of being "at risk", and I do still self test, so I'm not blanking the whole diabetes thing.

Reactions: 8 people

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning to all. Back home again
5.7 this morning. Off again in two weeks, so I expect my reading to be variable over the next month or so.

Reactions: 27 people
M

mojo37

Thanks! I'm Type 2, recently diagnosed, not given any medication but told to lose weight. Actually, more than told - I've been referred to a dietician, bariatric surgery assessment and a diabetic education programme (Right Start). These appointments are coming up in May and June. In the last 10 days (since I started posting here) I managed to get back onto Low Carb, though, so I'm hoping that helps.
Its strange how treatment and medical advise differs so much from practice to practice ..I had statins ( which I don't and won't take ..my choice ) and metformin thrown at me so to speak ...told to eat healthly lose some weight (I am 3 stone overweight ). No mention of carb reduction expect as part of calorie reduction .As with some others told to eat lots of fruit and veg ...beans jacket potatoes etc o_O.

Reactions: 7 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, Avocado. I don't believe I do.

Whilst it may not be quite the same, my optician does retina photography on every sight test, which I have annually anyway, so I have a safety net of sorts there. I am still to have an annual HbA1c, on the basis of being "at risk", and I do still self test, so I'm not blanking the whole diabetes thing.

There is retinal screening and there is retinal screening. My opticians did not detect any problems at my last test (they photograph and examine the retina at every eye test). But my diabetes was discovered by accident after I was referred by the same optician to the local hospital ophthalmology department for investigation after failing the glaucoma 'puff in your eye' pressure test. At the hospital they decided I did not have glaucoma but instead a normal thicker than usual cornea but their retinal scanning was much more detailed and in 3D. They not only noticed evidence of a couple of microvascular bleeds (extremely small and thankfully not affecting my sight) but advised me that the retinal thickness of my eyes could be better. 6 months later the scan was much improved. Thanks to the NHS not communicating internally properly I was told to go for a second retinopathy screening at a different hospital - I did say it was repetition but was advised to go. This time the screening only involved a system similar to the opticians and although the operator said he could see abnormality, although not severe, he did not have the 3D facility of the other hospital. I have requested future screenings be done at the better-equipped original hospital but once again I have been booked for future screenings at both hospitals - wonderful :(

M

mojo37

Morning all

5.2 fasting this morning. Pee ketones 1.5 ish.

Some great personal numbers coming in by peps - adds a bit of colour to an otherwise grey and windy day down here at saga central.
Hope that's not your "pee ketones " that is adding the colour ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its strange how treatment and medical advise differs so much from practice to practice ..I had statins ( which I don't and won't take ..my choice ) and metformin thrown at me so to speak ...told to eat healthly lose some weight (I am 3 stone overweight ). No mention of carb reduction expect as part of calorie reduction .As with some others told to eat lots of fruit and veg ...beans jacket potatoes etc o_O.
To clarify, I was not given any advice re: carbs at the GP, I am just a long-term on-off dieter (very obese at present) who's had best results with LC in the past. Well, they gave me a booklet which mentions "healthy eating" on one page, starting with starchy carbohydrates! I'm currently reading Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, and he presents a lot of evidence that LC is helpful in managing diabetes.

Reactions: 5 people
M

mojo37

To clarify, I was not given any advice re: carbs at the GP, I am just a long-term on-off dieter (very obese at present) who's had best results with LC in the past. Well, they gave me a booklet which mentions "healthy eating" on one page, starting with starchy carbohydrates! I'm currently reading Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, and he presents a lot of evidence that LC is helpful in managing diabetes.
I know its funny re the carb situation its only since I've been on this forum that it as been really high lighted . Though I must admit I can lose weight eating quite a lot of carbs / bread and pasta .Have yo yo dieted for yrs but now of course the carbs are now playing havoc with my BG which I am finding mega difficult to really cut down on ...still its got to be done :rolleyes:

Dinesidda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are right the doctors and nurses never mention low carbs. Why?

Reactions: 4 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Good afternoon all. I'm late today, but my fasting reading was 6.0 after a 6.7 last night at 21:00 (no bedtime reading).

Reactions: 19 people
Status
Not open for further replies.