Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
There is retinal screening and there is retinal screening. My opticians did not detect any problems at my last test (they photograph and examine the retina at every eye test). But my diabetes was discovered by accident after I was referred by the same optician to the local hospital ophthalmology department for investigation after failing the glaucoma 'puff in your eye' pressure test. At the hospital they decided I did not have glaucoma but instead a normal thicker than usual cornea but their retinal scanning was much more detailed and in 3D. They not only noticed evidence of a couple of microvascular bleeds (extremely small and thankfully not affecting my sight) but advised me that the retinal thickness of my eyes could be better. 6 months later the scan was much improved. Thanks to the NHS not communicating internally properly I was told to go for a second retinopathy screening at a different hospital - I did say it was repetition but was advised to go. This time the screening only involved a system similar to the opticians and although the operator said he could see abnormality, although not severe, he did not have the 3D facility of the other hospital. I have requested future screenings be done at the better-equipped original hospital but once again I have been booked for future screenings at both hospitals - wonderful :(

How interesting that you should have thicker than usual corneas.... About 7 years ago, following a test similar to yours, my husband was given a huge dose of a dreadful drug when he was told by a private consultant that he had glaucome... the man never tested his cornea depth, and two years later it was a very nice lady in Saudi Arabia who told him to stop putting the drug into his eyes immediately - by this time he had a persistent cough, his already black, thick lashes were really thick and his green eyes had almost become brown... five years later his eyes are green again, and his cough is gone, but it was terrible stuff.... you have to wonder...

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
You are right the doctors and nurses never mention low carbs. Why?

We have no idea... I have a theory that it's the big pharmaceutical companies that control the advice that the NHS gives to us.... It wouldn't suit them if everyone was told to stay healthy without drugs now, would it? :mad: Some of the guys on here seem to have a sympathetic nurse who listens, but most not... My doctor is a lovely young man who is highly impressed with me and my 'normal - good' numbers.... He is very interested in what I am doing to achieve it too.... sadly he seems to be a rarity...

Reactions: 10 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.8 again after a further increase in calories and carbs yesterday (1750 calories and 42g of carbs). Very happy :)

Reactions: 22 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
4.6 last day at work off on Anniversary hols with my much better half tomorrow.

Have a great day.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430372103.147309.jpg

Reactions: 18 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
8.2 this am .....yesterday must have been a fluke cos back up to 8's again :eek:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have no idea... I have a theory that it's the big pharmaceutical companies that control the advice that the NHS gives to us.... It wouldn't suit them if everyone was told to stay healthy without drugs now, would it? :mad: Some of the guys on here seem to have a sympathetic nurse who listens, but most not... My doctor is a lovely young man who is highly impressed with me and my 'normal - good' numbers.... He is very interested in what I am doing to achieve it too.... sadly he seems to be a rarity...

I'm less convinced by conspiracy theories but am convinced that NHS people are just largely out of date and not embracing low-carb theory and practice. There was a TV program on yesterday morning (Rip-off Britain) focusing on the food industry and there was practically no coverage of low carb/high fat even though sugar and salt were spotlighted. Even a Type 2 diabetic who was a guest was only interested in avoiding sugary foods, not all high-carb foods and a nutritionist also interviewed basically said we all need a low fat and low sugar diet (so basically lots of protein and starchy carbs - all of which as most of us now realise here can easily lead to problems). The problem is that fat has been so villified that it is a taboo food in our society.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 not sure how that happened after a 4.2 the day before, still a good figure. Have a good day folks.

Reactions: 21 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.0 this morning :( But at least I probably now why: stayed up very late to finish some work and had practically no sleep. Also the cold I have had since the weekend persists and last night I was cold and fluey. Feeling better this morning and cheered by the fact that I still got out yesterday and did a good 3.5 mile power walk for an hour. Going to London today for a meeting and Google Maps indicates I can walk to the venue from the station - 1.6 miles each way.

Reactions: 15 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice 5.5 this morning - bed time was 5.7 so my liver behaved nicely! !

Croc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
5.3 on this very sunny pay day.

Am off to get myself some comfy trainers. I may go for the Sketchers Go Walk.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does! Put your doc in the DUK hall of fame.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all

5.2 fasting. Ketones P 1.5 ish. B 1.1.

Weight loss stalling a bit so just started a 'fat fast'.

Nice sunny start to the day here on the south coast. Will this hold for the bank holiday weekend?

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Morning all
7.2 last night before bed
8.6 this morning :) out for 3 mile cycle this glorious morning before work, have a good day all.

Reactions: 16 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 am third on the trot, 6.1 last night... we'll see where this goes.....

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks. Didn't get chance to post yesterday but was 5.7 fasting. Today it's 5.8. A little higher than I would like but still quite good considering my recent naughtyness with carbs. :sorry::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.