Reversing Diabetes Online Summit

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it's worth, some of the speakers on this Summit that I've heard before and got useful information from, top of the list would be:

Jenny Ruhl, author of Blood Sugar 101 and the website of the same name - it's been my bible since diagnosis
Dr Ron Rosedale MD - well known LCHF researcher with extensive clinical experience with diabetes, especially in India
Dr David Perlmutter MD - neurologist and author of "Grain Brain"
Dr Mark Hyman MD - author and real food advocate
Dr Mark Houston MD - cardiologist - he will shock you with the stats on CVD in teenagers!
Suzy Cohen (Pharmacist) and Sayer Ji - these two are experts on nutritional/medicinal supplements and the research that's been done on them
And of course Mark Sisson - one of the most rational voices in the Paleo/Primal real food movement - his website is a treasure trove of free content.

If this summit works the way most of them do, from 4-6 speakers are scheduled per day and you normally have 24 hours to listen/watch the interviews. Whether you decide to purchase the package is completely optional.

Reactions: 4 people

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sometimes i wonder, if people are not going to think positive and act. they might as well end their own lives before the big pharmaceutical and food company suck their money and blood dry.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Proving that it works is a personal matter. You need to keep a diary OVER TIME, in which you record all your data, physical, mental, emotional and relational and then you are in a position to more objectively examine it and find any correlations as may exist. You are then in a position to assess your own experience.

thanks but no thanks . the fact is we will always have glucose in our blood. i dun mind if others are calling me diabetic i just need to know that i am in control and not those who blindly believe in those medical report funded by some big firm and hospitals which only wants our money.

now to the toxic thing, it is common in where i comes from and mostly by MLM companies. those are a bunch of people trying very hard to sell concept like those greedy food companies.

Reactions: 2 people

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
Hi
I was using Victoza and metformin two years ago and worked very hard with sensible eating and exercise to reduce my weight and blood sugars. The results were amazing and it was stated that I had 'beat' Type 2 diabetes (my consultant's words), Victoza was removed and I carried on taking metformin as it was a 'sensible' thing to do. However, two years later, my bloods are extremely high and I am now back on Victoza with metformin at the maximum dose and also gliclizide. Nothing changed except for me believing that I had been 'cured' and so my tight control on food loosened and I stopped testing, resulting in weight gain, although not drastic, enough to raise my sugars again - I would now say that I am in a worse position medically than I was two years ago. My opinion from personal experience is that diabetes cannot be CURED, just well managed so PLEASE do not become complacent if you bring your readings down, as diabetes is still in the background. Good for those who have tightl control - long may it continue for you. I am now working hard again to get in a better place but it has been a lesson learnt the hard way.

It is very foolish to stop testing yourself and getting medical tests by a doctor for at least two years after you see positive results and can come off medication. In my case I only gave up after two years seeing my BGs were normal and my doctor did test every six months for 3 years after and it was consistently normal and normal under ordinary circumstances, i.e., I ate what I liked. In your case it is different. You need to control your diabetes and stay healthy. .People are different. We can only share our experiences but look after ourselves in the best way for ourselves.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
each to his own mind. but i think its better to drop all medication early.

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
each to his own mind. but i think its better to drop all medication early.

"Each to his own mind" is right. But it is wrong to encourage others to give up medication before they are ready, is what I was saying. I have overcome my diabetes and not merely controlling it. But at the same time I took medication while I needed it and I kept up the vigil and tests for another 3 years to satisfy myself that I was well. I respect
the decisions others make for themselves are their own and as is their right to make but at the same time I think we need to share our experience if it might help them.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
all medication are poisonous. i choose to bring down my bg in order to drop the medications long term.

you can choose whatever you think its right.

Reactions: 3 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another link for health professionals. You may have to say you are a Dr to read this.

Prof Gerald H Tomkin of the Diabetes Institute of Ireland examines how he can now tell many of this patients that weight reduction and exercise may lead to the reversal of their diabetes through recovery of their beta cells.

"Reversing diabetes
The final result that made me and many others sit up and take notice was the demonstration that the beta cell recovered not partially, but completely and even the first-phase insulin release returned to normal, so the patients really did reverse their diabetes. This article was of such interest that it made headlines in daily newspapers around the world."
http://www.imt.ie/clinical/2012/07/type-2-diabetes-—-is-it-a-disease-of-the-fat-cell.html

@trotskyite

Thanks for the link. I'm going print out this link and see what my doctor has to say about this.. One more question did you put any weight back on after completing your ND? I know you did mention that you'd gotten down to a BMI of 25 and stayed there then leaned up by a year of exercise. My BMI is now 23.8 down from 30 and I am still having issues..

Last edited by a moderator:

trotskyite

@trotskyite

Thanks for the link. I'm going print out this link and see what my doctor has to say about this.. One more question did you put any weight back on after completing your ND? I know you did mention that you'd gotten down to a BMI of 25 and stayed there then leaned up by a year of exercise. My BMI is now 23.8 down from 30 and I am still having issues..

If you haven't seen this it may give you more info for your gp:
Normal weight individuals who develop Type 2 diabetes: the personal fat threshold
http://www.clinsci.org/cs/128/0405/cs1280405.htm

I think I put on a couple of kilos over a week, which I was expecting as glycogen stores increased again. But I actually lost more weight after that from 82 to down around 76kg, just watching calories and carbs. I am now 81kg but I definitely added mostly muscle and lost fat over that time as I am the same waist size I was at 76kg now and I had to buy new shirts cos I got bigger in the arms and chest, not like in the past when my belt was bursting lol.
When I was working out a lot I was eating about 400g carbs per day but now I am trying to lose a bit of fat so I have dropped to 200g either way I never seem to go out of the normal range for blood glucose so I am very lucky/happy. As I said before I almost gave up hope on the diet as at 80kg I was still out of the normal fasting range. However I felt much better in myself one morning and decided to test again, after 6mths of not doing so, and was under 5 and that's where I've stayed. Also I have a viseral fat monitor and after the diet I was still at 14 which is high levels of vis fat. Now it has steadily gone down to 8 so I would say that is very much connected to bg levels going down.

Remember also bmi is very inaccurate for individuals
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v10/n4/full/nm0404-325.html

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't seen this it may give you more info for your gp:
Normal weight individuals who develop Type 2 diabetes: the personal fat threshold
http://www.clinsci.org/cs/128/0405/cs1280405.htm

I think I put on a couple of kilos over a week, which I was expecting as glycogen stores increased again. But I actually lost more weight after that from 82 to down around 76kg, just watching calories and carbs. I am now 81kg but I definitely added mostly muscle and lost fat over that time as I am the same waist size I was at 76kg now and I had to buy new shirts cos I got bigger in the arms and chest, not like in the past when my belt was bursting lol.
When I was working out a lot I was eating about 400g carbs per day but now I am trying to lose a bit of fat so I have dropped to 200g either way I never seem to go out of the normal range for blood glucose so I am very lucky/happy. As I said before I almost gave up hope on the diet as at 80kg I was still out of the normal fasting range. However I felt much better in myself one morning and decided to test again, after 6mths of not doing so, and was under 5 and that's where I've stayed. Also I have a viseral fat monitor and after the diet I was still at 14 which is high levels of vis fat. Now it has steadily gone down to 8 so I would say that is very much connected to bg levels going down.

Remember also bmi is very inaccurate for individuals
http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v10/n4/full/nm0404-325.html

@trotskyite

Funnily enough I've lost 57lbs give or take a few and I still have a muffin top. I am getting lots of exercise and now planning meals where directly before or directly afterwards I am getting some very vigorous exercise. So I 'll cycle to lunch then continue on my cycle trip to bring the post meal glucose spike under completely control. Yup I too have leaned up enormously in the last 12 months. Yet my doctor seem completely under-whelmed even though he thought that I was in the top 1 percentile when it came to exercising! Go figure!! If my knees were in better shape I'd be throwing in an additional run or two in every week. Alas I can but get aggressive on my bicycle..

We have to remember its a marathon not a sprint..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
all medication are poisonous. i choose to bring down my bg in order to drop the medications long term.

you can choose whatever you think its right.

All medication is not poisonous. I hate to see the above type of statement being posted on forums, it is not true!!:mad::arghh:

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@trotskyite

Funnily enough I've lost 57lbs give or take a few and I still have a muffin top. I am getting lots of exercise and now planning meals where directly before or directly afterwards I am getting some very vigorous exercise. So I 'll cycle to lunch then continue on my cycle trip to bring the post meal glucose spike under completely control. Yup I too have leaned up enormously in the last 12 months. Yet my doctor seem completely under-whelmed even though he thought that I was in the top 1 percentile when it came to exercising! Go figure!! If my knees were in better shape I'd be throwing in an additional run or two in every week. Alas I can but get aggressive on my bicycle..

We have to remember its a marathon not a sprint..
You seem to do lots of aerobic activity, but what about resistance/weight training and HIIT? Most exercise gurus these days say aerobic by itself is pretty useless for body fat reduction.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to do lots of aerobic activity, but what about resistance/weight training and HIIT? Most exercise gurus these days say aerobic by itself is pretty useless for body fat reduction.

I do work weights and HIIT sprints on a small hill locally the HIITs bring muscle buliding. I am confident that I've lost more fat & that I've put on muscle too. I do thank you for the concern and shortly I'll be living very close to my gym I'll probably opt for more weights & resistance training when I move houses..

One more thing that I am now doing is exercising after meals directly. So I'll plan to exercise after eating lunch and then I'll go for a 30 minute walk after dinner.. That gave me a peaceful night of rest last night..

Last edited by a moderator:

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All medication is not poisonous. I hate to see the above type of statement being posted on forums, it is not true!!:mad::arghh:

almost all the medication i got has a label stating "poison". i asked my doctors and they said that almost if not all medication is poisonous in some extend. therefore they need to be labelled as poison.