Fruit good or bad for you

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As my blood test this time came back a little high my nurse and I discussed what food choices could be contributing to the raise. She did offer me a meter for educational purposes even as a type 2 and I said I would accept this offer if my result was not lower in 3 months time. I also asked her if I should cut down my fruit intake and she told me to avoid watermelon, not to eat too ripe fruit i.e banana because it's sugar content will be higher and to have a small one. To have maximum of maybe 3 pieces spread throughout the day. I love fruit and their are so many benefits I'd really hate to have to cut it out. So I am going to be more mindful of what fruit I choose and what size.

I am Type 1 on insulin, I eat fruit as part of my meal and drink pineapple juice between meals if I feel low, but I don't test 30 mins after I have eaten so I am not aware of the effect it is having. I currently focus on eating foods with high nutrition content and I use insulin to monitor the glucose levels.

happe

I was suprised to read in form the other day a person adviceing someone to lay off bannana grapes and melon, the first thing the nurse told me to give up was my daily grapefruit I know fruits have there own natural sugars but surely taken daily in moderation they are better for you as an alternative to snacking I mean what else is left do we just eat veg all day. The more I read the form the more of a mine field it is becoming it seems to me that the Diabetes has taken over my life with all the do,s and don't,s and the endless Med appointments off to a Diabetes review with nurse this afternoon, first time question and new to the form hi guy,s type 2 and at present overweight
Comments would be most welcome
I am type 2 diabetic for more than five years I am eating food with starch with brown color such as finger millet, wheat and sorghum with green vegetable and white meet like fish and chicken. My daily fruit was cucumber, avocado and half of orange. from that time my sugar range between 5- 7 without using any medication I follow doctors instructions and my body weight is 67.2 kgs So my advise to you is to follow instruction of your nurse.
Good day Danny.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Most fruit will spike, general rule is stick to berries in small quantities.

Ali

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most fruit will spike, general rule is stick to berries in small quantities.

Ali
I am Type 1 and I eat fruit but it is part of my meal - lunch and dinner - and my insulin covers the glucose.

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't work for me so I don't do it. Love fruit too. Do you come back down to low levels after 2 hours without a spike?

Ali

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't work for me so I don't do it. Love fruit too. Do you come back down to low levels after 2 hours without a spike?

Ali
Hi, I have never checked my levels after eating, I check morning, before lunch occasionally if I am at home, before dinner and before bed - also before going out like for walks etc, I was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago and this was not advised then so it is new to me. I think the insulin I take covers the food content but I need the food to last me till the next meal and to cover any activity I do so I am sure it peaks higher than 'normal' but comes down. If I check my levels before going for a walk and it is normal, I will eat more or have a pineapple juice to give me enough sugar to cover the walk.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I worry about spikes but people are constantly contradicting what is and isn't true. As I understand it it is the spikes that cause things like retinopathy and neuropathy etc so I am trying to avoid the complications associated with this disease. Who knows what is right or wrong, since Jan I have been low carbing and it seems to help with keeping in a tighter range.

Ali

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I worry about spikes but people are constantly contradicting what is and isn't true. As I understand it it is the spikes that cause things like retinopathy and neuropathy etc so I am trying to avoid the complications associated with this disease. Who knows what is right or wrong, since Jan I have been low carbing and it seems to help with keeping in a tighter range.

Ali
Hi, I currently focus on eating a variety of nutritious foods, lots of fresh veg and some fresh fruit every day, I reduce the amount of starchy carbs I eat because they are low in nutrition. I eat good fats and have some form of protein with each meal. I am reading about doing low carb but not being able to eat fruit, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar or any starchy food puts me off - I don't eat meat so my diet would be very limited, mostly green veg and a small bit of protein which puts me off. I have not finished reading yet, I am interested in this low carb because you don't get hypo's or if you are low you don't get the severe symptoms which really appeals to me so I may change my mind. I have had diabetes for nearly 30 years and my health so far is good. I was prescribed a statin drug years ago after the breakdown of a very bad relationship, my cholesterol went up to 6 but after 6 months came down to 5.something, they still prescribed a statin drug 10mg but I reduced it to 5mg and that is all I take other than insulin and vitamins and I don't take it everyday, I miss the odd day because I don't believe I need it really. Everything else is good and I have spikes but I do test often and if it is high, I bring it down with insulin. I also gets lots of exercise and drink lots of water which I believe helps to avoid complications. Low carbing will help to keep a tighter range that is true.

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I currently focus on eating a variety of nutritious foods, lots of fresh veg and some fresh fruit every day, I reduce the amount of starchy carbs I eat because they are low in nutrition. I eat good fats and have some form of protein with each meal. I am reading about doing low carb but not being able to eat fruit, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar or any starchy food puts me off - I don't eat meat so my diet would be very limited, mostly green veg and a small bit of protein which puts me off. I have not finished reading yet, I am interested in this low carb because you don't get hypo's or if you are low you don't get the severe symptoms which really appeals to me so I may change my mind. I have had diabetes for nearly 30 years and my health so far is good. I was prescribed a statin drug years ago after the breakdown of a very bad relationship, my cholesterol went up to 6 but after 6 months came down to 5.something, they still prescribed a statin drug 10mg but I reduced it to 5mg and that is all I take other than insulin and vitamins and I don't take it everyday, I miss the odd day because I don't believe I need it really. Everything else is good and I have spikes but I do test often and if it is high, I bring it down with insulin. I also gets lots of exercise and drink lots of water which I believe helps to avoid complications. Low carbing will help to keep a tighter range that is true.

Lol yes I imagine being a meat eater makes low carbing easier. Way more restrictive for you. I don't mind it actually and I eat berries still. Found lots of alternative recipes and not being a rice and pasta fan means I don't miss those and in fact, I love love love cauliflower rice, hash browns and zucchini patties as alternatives so it is really only bread and potatoes that I miss a little.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 controlled by diet but, although I've cut my carbs, I can still eat cereals, either bran flakes with nuts or hot oat cereal with oatbran and milled flax seed, seeded bread, pasta and potatoes without too much affect on my BS. I also eat a lot of vegetables and salads inc tomatoes and cucumber but tend to stick to apples and berries for my fruit intake. However, because I'm diet only, it means that if a food does cause a significant increase in my BS I have to wait for it to come down of it's own accord thus my spike lasts longer and could, potentially, cause more problems if it occurred on a regular basis

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi,

I think the way low carbing works varies hugely from individual to individual.

Bernstein recommends eliminating tomatoes, and very much focuses on carb grams, which is understandable since he's a type 1 and that how he thinks.

But my type 2 body reacts very differently to different foods - and I'm sure it isn't just because I'm type 2.
Tomatoes and vinegar - no problems. Berries (slower release when eaten with cream) fine.
One small piece of low carb bread - disproportionate spike.

So, whether you are type 1 or 2, I would encourage a gentle exploration of different foods, because you may find (depending on food and portion size) that you are not nearly as restricted as you first think.

If you want to see what others eat, have a read of this thread. Some of the menu plans are amazing.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I enjoyed a nice jucy pear yesterday,I havent had one for months,I read pears were good for diabetics,two hours later I tested 12 so I wont be having another one.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I enjoyed a nice jucy pear yesterday,I havent had one for months,I read pears were good for diabetics,two hours later I tested 12 so I wont be having another one.

Pears are sweet Pat. I and my teen, love raspberries so much and they are great for my BS so no spikes, but I like a satsuma or a small orange and also grapes. These don't push my levels up, but pears, banana's and pineapple do :( I am growing raspberries and gooseberries in my smallish garden :hungry::hungry: and my son gave me a lemon plant he grew from seed :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Robin.thank you.
You must send pics of your garden when its finished.you are always busy.
I usually eat berries and they are fine,you live and learn.

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol yes I imagine being a meat eater makes low carbing easier. Way more restrictive for you. I don't mind it actually and I eat berries still. Found lots of alternative recipes and not being a rice and pasta fan means I don't miss those and in fact, I love love love cauliflower rice, hash browns and zucchini patties as alternatives so it is really only bread and potatoes that I miss a little.

How do you make hash browns? I thought they were potato, do you make them with cauliflower?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Robin.thank you.
You must send pics of your garden when its finished.you are always busy.
I usually eat berries and they are fine,you live and learn.

Thanks Pat, just having a 'hypo' break now, I was 3.3. :oops::rolleyes: Teen loves strawberries as well, but I rarely eat them, not much taste and over rated for me :meh:

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be getting spikes with blueberries....really like them too

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I low carb, am vegetarian, and just to keep things interesting, I am coeliac as well :rolleyes: :D

When you low carb as a veggie, the rules change somewhat, I do use balsamic vinegar fruit and my carbs tend to come mainly from vegetables and the protein component , usually pulses , legumes and tofu . As a rule, my diet is a very healthy one, I rarely hypo and when I do its explainable. Much of the info on low carb is aimed towards omnivores, so you do have to like to cook, be creative and test more to discover your own threshold.

From the omnivore low carb information comes the idea that you can't eat certain things, but it's not necessarily true when you are vegetarian , and very personal to each person. I really can't say that my diet is limited, as I do make some good low carb meals with a lot of variety, and also include some adapted baked goods in to it.

A good resource is Celia Brooke's " Low Carb & Gluten Free Vegetarian " , though it says Gluten Free in the title, it's good for any vegetarian that is looking to lowering their carb intake because it automatically excludes wheat and other gluten containing grains.

Oh, and as a Type 1, who doesn't eat meat, your carb threshold for achieving a good HbA1c , less post prandial spikes and avoiding hypos whilst controlling your insulin doses is entirely personal. Some may need to go very low carb, others have a better tolerance at a different level. I would describe it as being " Low(er) Carb " , but still within the parameters of " Low Carb ", if that makes sense :D

You would, at least initially have to remember to test 2 hours post prandial to see what foods result in an unacceptable spike , but this lessens somewhat as you learn what works and what doesn't .

Signy

Edited to say- from what you describe , you probably are eating at a lower carb level already :) You probably wouldn't need to alter that much, just a tweak here and there , should you wish to give it a whirl :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you make hash browns? I thought they were potato, do you make them with cauliflower?

Yes, cauliflower. If you google low carb...... and whatever you are looking for, tons of recipes come up. Also join Pinterest and search low carb on there. Lots and lots of recipes covering virtually everything you might ever want!

Ali

jane1950

I was suprised to read in form the other day a person adviceing someone to lay off bannana grapes and melon, the first thing the nurse told me to give up was my daily grapefruit I know fruits have there own natural sugars but surely taken daily in moderation they are better for you as an alternative to snacking I mean what else is left do we just eat veg all day. The more I read the form the more of a mine field it is becoming it seems to me that the Diabetes has taken over my life with all the do,s and don't,s and the endless Med appointments off to a Diabetes review with nurse this afternoon, first time question and new to the form hi guy,s type 2 and at present overweight
Comments would be most welcome