Memory Loss

Theabbott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I'm 16 year old and have had diabetes since I was 2 years old. Recently in attempts of lowering my blood sugar my blood sugars have been awfully low and in fact I've had quite a few seizures (which have been quickly attended to)

Anyways will these lows have a permanent impact on my memory which is so bad at this moment, I'm currently revising for my exam and I'll read a short sentence 20 times and after that I'll try saying it without reading and I get stuck. Will my memory improve as my sugar levels go up?

Additionally my doctor told me diabetic seizures have a permanent scarring damage to the brain will these few seizures do any serious damage to my young brain? I haven't had one in a while but I've had around 7 in these last 6 months.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your bad memory could be down to the stress of your exams, we all become forgetful when under stress.

No one can answer your question about the long-term damage I'm afraid, but you should try and avoid hypo's wherever possible and test your bg regularly so that you catch the low bg levels in the early stages and treat accordingly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Additionally my doctor told me diabetic seizures have a permanent scarring damage to the brain

Hi, Theabbott.
Interesting you mention this.. I actually remember being told this by my doctors up until back in the 1980s.
Though I only came close to one seizure when I was about 10 years old..
Certainly for me, the proffessional emphasis for the last 20 years was "loss of hypo awareness" with frequent hypos.
Like I mentioned I have never passed out. So they may have felt there was no need to caution me thusly....?