Disability living allowance

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
If your Diabeties impacts on your ability to care for yourself or on your mobility then you should apply. Having diabetes alone doesn't qualify you for DLA as its not, in itself, a disabling condition.

I have struggled for years to get the correct amount of support from DLA - I have severe asthma and 8 out of 12 months I had at least one admission per month, in a mix of ITU and HDU alongside normal wards. Even though the majority of the time I am in, or about a week before I need to go in I'm too breathless to get out of bed, I was only awarded low rate mobility. It is, in all fairness a joke and I am still trying to get more than that. How on earth do they expect me to get to appointments without that additional money for taxis or to pay someone for petrol? Who do they think is going to make my dinner for me when I'm too tired and shakey to safely hold a knife? The main reason it's so hard to get the support is because people have been claiming when they don't need too, so they are cutting back!

So in my opinion, if your Diabeties causes you to have care or mobility needs, apply - but if it doesn't, there is no point in wasting the paper!

VickiT11979

Agree with Grazer, plus can I say DO NOT ask your GP to write a letter - if the DWP want medical advice they request (and pay for) it from the doctor directly. If you want medical evidence you will be charged by the practice for it. It's not covered under the NHS contract so is considered "private" work, and the fees are at least £15.

Reactions: 2 people

stephiesut

My hubby is type 2 and he claims DLA (and I claim carers for looking after him) but his DLA is not based on his diabetes. He has severe mental health problems and spinal arthritis so cant walk much, and also a few other problems. DLA is very hard to claim, we had to fight quite hard to get his DLA, even though the doctor DWP sent out to assess him could see the problems he had and wrote a very accurate report, even then the decision makers didn't want to approve his claim. Even when they did, he only got an 18 month award (it took them 6 months to award the money) so we stand to lose the car again if they cause trouble at renewal time next year :(

Unless you have very severe complications due to your diabetes I don't see why you would need DLA. Yes its annoying having to pay for test strips and food bills can be higher, but really DLA is to pay for things you need to give you a more normal standard of life. We use ours to pay for a car (through motability) as hubby is housebound without one, and for extra heating bills and that sort of thing. Well thats the theory anyway, in reality it pays for the car and petrol and nothing else! I am using my carers allowance to pay for driving lessons as, as hubbys condition worsens (its a degenerative condition) he wont be able to drive anymore but still needs to get to his many hospital and gp appointments (averaging three a week these days) and to see his children.

Reactions: 4 people

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
I agree 100% with grazer - diabetes should not be regarded as a disabiltiy. It is a horrible to thing to have but to claim money off tax payers is a disgrace unless it is genuinely needed due to a disability which may or may not have been caused by diabetes.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying on here but I wouldn't agree with diabetes not being a disability. Someone with hearing loss would be categorised as disabled and rightly so. They will have many difficulties in their lives but hearing loss can't directly cause them to die, diabetes can and in so many ways.

It's difficult for me to do a manual job where I might be on my feet for 8 or 10 hours, constantly moving around 5 days a week. I can and have done it but it left me absolutely exhausted. I would wake up go to work, get home and conk out within an hour or 2, whether I wanted to or not. The next thing I know I had to be up for work again. I've even slept for 18 hours as my body tried to recuperate on the weekend. The only way I thought that would be possible was in a coma. I basically had no life. Work, sleep, rest on the weekend. It also led to me suffering numerous hypos while I was asleep and eventually cost me my job.

I've heard stories of diabetics having to choose between whether they pay for gas and electricity or any other bills they may have or pay for food and lowering the amount of insulin they take because of it. Most people don't have money problems to that extreme but some do. Diabetes costs the nhs around £10 billion a year. 90-95% of those are type 2's and the main cause for type 2 diabetes is the fact that we have such poor diets in the UK, eating far too much carbohydrates and starchy foods, way more than anybody actually needs. Not having these problems would save half of that budget and if the government went after the corporations that earn billions in this country every single year instead of squeezing those at the bottom of the ladder, we would all be better off. What are those companies going to do, say they're not going to do business here. See how much that would affect their profits.

Reactions: 9 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I eat a healthy lowish carb diet , its not any more expensive than the diet I had pre diagnosis.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
know im talking about? i been diabetic for 15 years so, in eyes of law its life long condition and there is NO CURE!

That is not a qualification for getting DLA, or for PIP which has now taken over from DLA.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Many type 2's have 'reversed' their condition with food choices and ditched the meds for good or on minimum medication, so it can be done.
Always hoping there will be a cure one day, but that would probably be for type 1 as a type 2's pancreas still functions.

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i dont make the law but diabietes is a disability in eyes of law....

In the work place yes, but being diagnosed as diabetic, then no. unless there are other complications or medical conditions that come within the range of a certain benefit.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A quality of life is great, but diabetes and disability do not go hand in hand. I had an accident last year and severe complications set in. I was told I should claim for disability. but I didn't and never have, I was determined to get through the problem and fight it, which I did. Still not 100% and still under going treatment and I am type 1, for 26 years and female in my late 50's. ps sometimes threads and posts can get a little heated, best for people to stand back and have a little time out.

Best wishes RRB

C

catherinecherub

Diabetes is covered by the Disability Law, end of story. You do not get benefits for diabetes unless you have severe complications.
Some Type2's have managed to get their diabetes under control and do not have to rely on medication but some have to rely on medication to control it
diabieties is a life long condition requiring medication for life that unless treated will kill you

Nathan, your quote applies to Type1s who need insulin , not all Type2s .
This is an advocacy pack from DUK that explains employment and your rights at work.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Employment-advocacy-pack-2013.pdf

If anyone else decides that they need to get personal or would like to disrupt this thread, think before you act.

N

NicolaB70

I'm sorry but I don't class diabetes as a disability. I am disabled AND have diabetes. I am in receipt of DLA but only for my disability. I wouldn't dream of claiming DLA for diabetes alone. Me not being able to walk properly, having to use a wheelchair, being housebound and relying on my husband to get me out the house and into the car for appointments is called being disabled, not having diabetes

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm sorry but I don't class diabetes as a disability. I am disabled AND have diabetes. I am in receipt of DLA but only for my disability. I wouldn't dream of claiming DLA for diabetes alone. Me not being able to walk properly, having to use a wheelchair, being housebound and relying on my husband to get me out the house and into the car for appointments is called being disabled, not having diabetes

Aawww, bless you Nicola and I do agree with your post.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Catherine says "Diabetes is covered by the Disability Law, end of story." which is a good thing as it protects us from being discriminatd against because of our diabetes. It doesn't necessarily mean that WE are disabled, although complications can certainly be very disabling and life changing for many people.
Being diabetic in itself, and with no other illnesses or disabilities, doesn't entitle us to any disability benefits, although the complications very well could do, depending on the severity. It's the effect an illness has on us which determines whether we get benefits or not, and at which level, not just having the illness itself.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likely won't help much but -

As mentioned above in Canada diabetes CAN be classed as a disability IF the person meets certain requirements.

The list of requirements is not necessarily health based here but based on the time we spend managing our condition. They put a bottom limit set at 14 hours per week in management - and do not count meal prep, or exercise as 'management'.

So to claim being 'disabled' here its not that you need complications, or severe health problems or mobility issues, you simply need to be very involved on a level where staying healthy requires at least 14 hours per week.

So, someone like me - a T1D with good health, good A1cs and no impairment to daily life COULD claim being disabled because i do have a chronic, life long condition, that has potential for significant complications if un-managed, and to prevent these complications i spend a significant amount of time each day managing it.

On the other hand, if there is an unhealthy diabetic here, who already has complication, but is not involved enough with there management and mitigation to meet that minimum weekly time, then they would not qualify.

Its a strange way of looking at it, but to me it makes sense. Our condition presents the potential, and they are aiding those aiding themselves, and giving incentive to those who are not spending enough time. It essentially makes you work a bit, rather then just looking for a hand out.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I,m type1 diabetes for 42 year, I have copd ( early stage or it was 5 year back ) had a full hip replacement and a fibular bone graft when I was 35, I still cant claim a penny because I,m in a job were I am on my feet allday, if I was seated I could, but how do you change trades after so long?

The rules suck its plain and simple, btw I,m working 40 hours per week and have £60 a week to live on, so the point of my post is I work, I struggle with ever part of my job, but well make your own mind up

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yes as already stated for employment law diabetes is classed as a disability.
For claiming DLA or PIP as it is now, it's not the condition you have it's how you are affected by it.

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo

Perhaps it would help to remember that while diabetes is indeed a disability- but, that does NOT mean we cannot work, so long as the fabled "reasonable adjustments" are made. Which means that, so long as no discrimination is allowed, simple diabetes is not enough of itself to trigger extra needs.

Oh- and I'd relabel all "benefits" as "needs". Clarifies the arguments a tad.