Low GI cereals?

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I'm getting a bit bored of having omelettes for breakfast every morning, but the porridge I used to buy would not bring my levels down to normal, never mind how much insulin I gave myself.

I was wondering what cereals work for you guys and keep your levels in normal range?

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason wholegrain oats (groats) soaked overnight in a thermos of hot water and then added to other stuff is ok for me. I use variously chia seeds, flax seeds, berries, butter, coconut oil, sweetener, almond milk and double cream and sometimes the whole lot at once. Oh, and mixed nuts. Very satisfying. I assume the fat content spreads the sugar load. Well over 30 carbs per half-litre bowl I think and the only high-carb recipe I deliberately eat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Porridge, but not the instant variety like Ready Brek as these are highly processed/milled and can spike bg levels badly.

If you try porridge again look for Pinhead, Rough-Cut or Irish Oats as these are lower gi and take longer to digest, I also add some fats in the way of seeds (pumpkin, linseeds & sunflower) to the mix as well as some Greek Yogurt and Blueberries.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you both! @noblehead Which brands would you recommend?

Holland & Barrett do a few, one is Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats or there's Prewetts Course Oats that I've used several times now, the brand I'm using at the moment is Flavavan's Irish Organic Jumbo Oats which I purchased from Sainsbury's, but there's a lot to choose from so have a look around.

chl0ejasmine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Holland & Barrett do a few, one is Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats or there's Prewetts Course Oats that I've used several times now, the brand I'm using at the moment is Flavavan's Irish Organic Jumbo Oats which I purchased from Sainsbury's, but there's lot to choose from so have a look around.

I have the flavavan oats which you pick in the microwave for 2 minutes - would they still be causing me to spike?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have the flavavan oats which you pick in the microwave for 2 minutes - would they still be causing me to spike?

Not sure which variety of oats they are, I know Flahaven do a few and yours look like the highly processed instant type, the one I'm using takes a while to cook thoroughly in the pan as the oats are quite big.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one tblspoon of hot oat cereal, one tablespoon of oatbran microwaved with some milk and water. Then add one dessertspn of milled flax seed. It has a few carbs in it but doesn't cause me to spike. I also have bran flakes and add nuts and, if I've got them, blueberries which I have with ffat milk.