The SCREAM thread

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Bank holidays always feel like Sunday to me, I have been convinced all day that it was Sunday. Driving to my son's flat for dinner I couldn't understand why the bus lane was clear..........yes I did...... and it's MONDAY:arghh: Forty years driving , no parking tickets or speeding, absolutely offence free and then I drive in a bus lane because I thought it was Sunday AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!:bigtears::bigtears:

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just want to scream as loud as I can. I've tried my best you be positive since being diagnosed 4 weeks ago but today my husband told me that my 'get up and go has got up and gone'.

I used to be spontaneous and find various little trips and outings like shopping, car boot, home improvement trips etc but...I just don't have the energy anymore. I can't believe the difference 4 weeks have made to my life.

Right now I just want to have some ice cream with my kids on this bank holiday weekend. So fed up of this way of eating, never no energy and an alien in my own family, my kids dying understand why I can't have the **** ice cream
I hear you and sympathize with you ...I too find the way of eating almost unbearable at times....afraid to go anywhere that may have a doughnut van or an ice cream man...terrified of walking past a chippy in case the smell gets too much and lures me in....the ''going without'' is horrible. I doubt I will always say no....I know my BG will go through the roof and somehow I won't care...just for that one moment.....it will come down and be written off as a lapse . It will get better for you though...your energy levels should pick up and hopefully you will feel stronger about everything. Hugs

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, the silly thing is the 17g lolly ids still in the freezer and according to my calculations I could have another 19g today to reach my limit...but I can't be bothered now lol

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I end up sharing my vanilla mini magnums with Daisy (one of my cats) She sits and watches me until I've got a bit left on the stick which she licks off. :cat:
Daisy might like the mini magnum but some dairy and chocolate products can be dangerous to cats and dogs. Interestingly our cat Teddy became diabetic, not because of dairy or chocolate, but after about 6 months of insulin injection he spontaneously cured himself. I think cats are the only animals to do this. A burmese, he lived another 4 years to 181/2 before he died. Good luck to you both.

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

Daisy might like the mini magnum but some dairy and chocolate products can be dangerous to cats and dogs. Interestingly our cat Teddy became diabetic, not because of dairy or chocolate, but after about 6 months of insulin injection he spontaneously cured himself. I think cats are the only animals to do this. A burmese, he lived another 4 years to 181/2 before he died. Good luck to you both.
The white chocolate is the least "offensive" with the dark potentially lethal due to the theobromine levels....in the cocoa solids. I haven't heard of dairy being a problem for dogs or cats although there may be some that are sensitive to it like one of mine is sensitive to wheat and chicken....

Glad you made mention though, its always better to be safe than sorry especially as the diabetic treat chocolate of choice tends to be 80% and above......

Reactions: 2 people

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
The white chocolate is the least "offensive" with the dark potentially lethal due to the theobromine levels....in the cocoa solids. I haven't heard of dairy being a problem for dogs or cats although there may be some that are sensitive to it like one of mine is sensitive to wheat and chicken....

Glad you made mention though, its always better to be safe than sorry especially as the diabetic treat chocolate of choice tends to be 80% and above......

I have a bit of 70% chocolate occasionally. I remember scoffing a whole bar in a supermarket once when I was having a hypo - but it didn't work quickly enough because chocolate is low GI, meaning that the sugar with it is absorbed more slowly than simple sugary sweets or biscuits.

S

Sable_Jan

I have a bit of 70% chocolate occasionally. I remember scoffing a whole bar in a supermarket once when I was having a hypo - but it didn't work quickly enough because chocolate is low GI, meaning that the sugar with it is absorbed more slowly than simple sugary sweets or biscuits.
Jelly babies next time ;)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
How about chunks of raw jelly? Especially if the need arises in a supermarket.

S

Sable_Jan

How about chunks of raw jelly? Especially if the need arises in a supermarket.
Ooh, probably but mayb something like original Lucozade would be better? Never had the need to counteract a hypo, just remember a lady saying jelly babies were what she uses .....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ooh, probably but mayb something like original Lucozade would be better? Never had the need to counteract a hypo, just remember a lady saying jelly babies were what she uses .....

Jelly babies are easy to eat. you can get small individual bags that can fit in a pocket or handbag, Morrisons do them.

Reactions: 7 people
C

chris lowe

Thank you, the silly thing is the 17g lolly ids still in the freezer and according to my calculations I could have another 19g today to reach my limit...but I can't be bothered now lol
Was in Iceland today (always get my fish there as it's such good value) and noticed -well OK, yes I bought some - Jubly Orange lollies you can just pop in the freezer. They are 6.1 carbs per 100ml and each one is 64 ml so works out about 4 g of carbs per lolly. ;)

Reactions: 5 people
C

chris lowe

Made the mistake of letting Mr Chris have some celery with his salad. Not only does the stuff make my fingers smell vile he makes sooooo much noise eating it. It's so annoying! :grumpy: I had to buy celery as I bought some St Agur cheese and he will only eat the cheese with celery.

C

chris lowe

I make sure that I lick all the chocolate off the stick before she gets her bit. The dairy doesn't seem to affect her, but when she had milk it used to give her very smelly wind :grumpy: so that's a no no.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrrrrrrrr BG doesn't like pork.....but I do dammit grrrrrrr.............:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

S

Sable_Jan

Made the mistake of letting Mr Chris have some celery with his salad. Not only does the stuff make my fingers smell vile he makes sooooo much noise eating it. It's so annoying! :grumpy: I had to buy celery as I bought some St Agur cheese and he will only eat the cheese with celery.
I've gotten into celery and cheese...nice with feta...not heard of St Agur....dogs don't.mind my crunching but it DOES make your fingers stink of celery for rest of day. Try using a handful of salt with your handwash and rub it all over your hands before rinsing...

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Was in Iceland today (always get my fish there as it's such good value) and noticed -well OK, yes I bought some - Jubly Orange lollies you can just pop in the freezer. They are 6.1 carbs per 100ml and each one is 64 ml so works out about 4 g of carbs per lolly. ;)
Oooh, lovely jubbly haven't seen those in years I'm going to the village tomorrow so will treat myself:depressed:
Thanks for that