Type 1 @ 40 after gestational diabetes?

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fairly new to this site. I was hoping to get some info and hopefully reassurance.

I had my son 4 months ago and had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and during my 1st pregnancy with my daughter 3.5 years ago. I was given the all clear 6 weeks after delivery the diabetes had gone, then last weekend I felt dreadful so thought I would check my bloods and they were 31.5! Straight to the hospital and they are convinced it's type 1. I'm now on insulin, nova rapid which I was on during pregnancy and also a slow release overnight.

Just seems very odd to me that I get type 1 at the age of 40 and so quickly after pregnancy?
We have pancreatic cancer in the family so I'm slightly concerned and they are doing a ct scan to check for this also.

Has anyone else got type 1 after pregnancy? And so late in life?

Would love any support or information as I really am quite nervous there is something else more untoward going on in my body :(
X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy, was told it had gone away - then felt ill one evening and tested my blood sugar only to find out it was 20. If I hadn't done that test, I'd probably have struggled on for a few more weeks, especially what with being a new mum and very tired.

I saw my consultant, who then told me I must have had the beginnings of Type 1 in pregnancy not gestational diabetes at all. That made more sense to me and all fitted.

So perhaps your diagnosis could have been wrong too?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Fairly new to this site. I was hoping to get some info and hopefully reassurance.

I had my son 4 months ago and had gestational diabetes during pregnancy and during my 1st pregnancy with my daughter 3.5 years ago. I was given the all clear 6 weeks after delivery the diabetes had gone, then last weekend I felt dreadful so thought I would check my bloods and they were 31.5! Straight to the hospital and they are convinced it's type 1. I'm now on insulin, nova rapid which I was on during pregnancy and also a slow release overnight.

Just seems very odd to me that I get type 1 at the age of 40 and so quickly after pregnancy?
We have pancreatic cancer in the family so I'm slightly concerned and they are doing a ct scan to check for this also.

Has anyone else got type 1 after pregnancy? And so late in life?

Would love any support or information as I really am quite nervous there is something else more untoward going on in my body :(
X

Hi AFR75 and welcome to the forums.

Going only by things I've read, full blown diabetes is not uncommon after the 2nd or 3rd child if you've been prone to GD beforehand. Also whilst it is not common to get it later in life it does happen, I was 54 when it started.

So don't worry about pancreatic cancer just yet!

CONCLUSIONS
— Pregnancy seems to identify women who are at risk of developing diabetes later in life. About 10% of Finnish women with GDM will develop diabetes over the next 6 years; nearly half of them develop type 1 diabetes and the other half type 2 diabetes. Age 30 years, the need for insulin treatment during pregnancy, and positivity for ICAs and GADAs confer a high risk of subsequent progression to type 1 diabetes in women affected by GDM

If you're interested the full text of this study can be found at...............

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/3/607.full.pdf

@daisy1 can give you some helpful notes. Is the hopsital going to test you?

Last edited by a moderator:

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 at 39 during my first pregnancy. I suspect that I am LADA however my consultant has always referred to me as Type 1. When you got your all clear at 6 weeks were you breastfeeding? My insulin requirements are very reduced whilst breastfeeding. If you are LADA and breastfeeding maybe that masked it.

Reactions: 2 people

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy, was told it had gone away - then felt ill one evening and tested my blood sugar only to find out it was 20. If I hadn't done that test, I'd probably have struggled on for a few more weeks, especially what with being a new mum and very tired.

I saw my consultant, who then told me I must have had the beginnings of Type 1 in pregnancy not gestational diabetes at all. That made more sense to me and all fitted.

Thank you for your reply. Did they test you 6 weeks post delivery and tell you it had gone away? Are you on insulin now?

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 at 39 during my first pregnancy. I suspect that I am LADA however my consultant has always referred to me as Type 1. When you got your all clear at 6 weeks were you breastfeeding? My insulin requirements are very reduced whilst breastfeeding. If you are LADA and breastfeeding maybe that masked it.

I had to have insulin in both pregnancies, could it be LADA still?
Stopped breast feeding at 3 weeks as my mother has in curable cancer and it was all getting a bit too much for me :(

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi AFR75 and welcome to the forums.

Going only by things I've read, full blown diabetes is not uncommon after the 2nd or 3rd child if you've been prone to GD beforehand. Also whilst it is not common to get it later in life it does happen, I was 54 when it started.

So don't worry about pancreatic cancer just yet!

CONCLUSIONS
— Pregnancy seems to identify women who are at risk of developing diabetes later in life. About 10% of Finnish women with GDM will develop diabetes over the next 6 years; nearly half of them develop type 1 diabetes and the other half type 2 diabetes. Age 30 years, the need for insulin treatment during pregnancy, and positivity for ICAs and GADAs confer a high risk of subsequent progression to type 1 diabetes in women affected by GDM

If you're interested the full text of this study can be found at...............

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/3/607.full.pdf

@daisy1 can give you some helpful notes. Is the hopsital going to test you?

Thank you, this is really interesting info. Hospital have taken bloods that will take 4 weeks apparently? Having other investigations with my hiatus hernia so just a worrying time as aches and pains everywhere :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, they tested me in hospital after the birth. I was in for four days. This was some years ago so things have no doubt changed now, but then they did a certain number of tests over a day and then just said it had gone away. The logic of that made no sense to me because they didn't seem to take into account the fact I hadn't eaten, and there was also a high blood sugar that they simply blamed on me eating half a small bar of chocolate.

Yes, I'm on insulin now. After speaking to my GP when I got that high 20 after eating, I went back on the insulin I still had left over from my pregnancy and have stayed on it ever since. My insulin needs were fairly low then, but have increased gradually over the years.

Initially, after the birth, I found that my sugars would vary eg they could be 15 just after eating with no insulin, but then come down a bit. My consultant said my body was still making a little insulin of its own at that stage.

I now have an insulin pump and have just had another pregnancy and had my son a couple of weeks ago : )

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, they tested me in hospital after the birth. I was in for four days. This was some years ago so things have no doubt changed now, but then they did a certain number of tests over a day and then just said it had gone away. The logic of that made no sense to me because they didn't seem to take into account the fact I hadn't eaten, and there was also a high blood sugar that they simply blamed on me eating half a small bar of chocolate.

Yes, I'm on insulin now. After speaking to my GP when I got that high 20 after eating, I went back on the insulin I still had left over from my pregnancy and have stayed on it ever since. My insulin needs were fairly low then, but have increased gradually over the years.

Initially, after the birth, I found that my sugars would vary eg they could be 15 just after eating with no insulin, but then come down a bit. My consultant said my body was still making a little insulin of its own at that stage.

I now have an insulin pump and have just had another pregnancy and had my son a couple of weeks ago : )

Oh wow congratulations! How lovely. Did you manage the diabetes ok during this pregnancy?
I have heard about the pump, would you recommend?
Do you drink alcohol with the diabetes? This is one thing I worry about as I do love a few glasses of wine! I worry about hypos too!

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes they have show that gestational diabetes after age 30 can raise your risk for both types of diabetes, it is actually age related .

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh wow congratulations! How lovely. Did you manage the diabetes ok during this pregnancy?
I have heard about the pump, would you recommend?
Do you drink alcohol with the diabetes? This is one thing I worry about as I do love a few glasses of wine! I worry about hypos too!

Thank you :) Yes, I managed the diabetes much better this pregnancy. Having the correct diagnosis and knowing more about it definitely helped.

I'd recommend the pump if you feel you'd like to try it. It's reduced my hypos a lot. I don't take large amounts of insulin as I'm quite sensitive to it and the pump allows me to have tiny amounts and to adjust my basal hour by hour as needed (unlike the more flat line action of Lantus, etc). It also allows me to reduce my insulin for exercise. I think it would be great with young children as it allows you to have more freedom, I think.

Reactions: 3 people

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :) Yes, I managed the diabetes much better this pregnancy. Having the correct diagnosis and knowing more about it definitely helped.

I'd recommend the pump if you feel you'd like to try it. It's reduced my hypos a lot. I don't take large amounts of insulin as I'm quite sensitive to it and the pump allows me to have tiny amounts and to adjust my basal hour by hour as needed (unlike the more flat line action of Lantus, etc). It also allows me to reduce my insulin for exercise. I think it would be great with young children as it allows you to have more freedom, I think.
How do you go about getting the pump? Privately or NHS?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
NHS. I've had my pump 11 years. I spoke to my GP and consultant about my hypos and how a pump would help me.

I was refused funding at first, but then appealed and was accepted. I think it's a little easier to get a pump now. When I had mine, I was only the second or third person in my area to have one.

Shazzle80

Hi lovely :)

I was diagnosed at 32 when my daughter was 6 months old (I had gestational too).

I can't add anything different to the above but wanted you to know you're not alone :)

AFR75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi lovely :)

I was diagnosed at 32 when my daughter was 6 months old (I had gestational too).

I can't add anything different to the above but wanted you to know you're not alone :)
Thank you for letting me know! Type 1 too? Does it run in your family? Xx

Shazzle80

Thank you for letting me know! Type 1 too? Does it run in your family? Xx

Yeah type 1, I don't know why I always presumed type 2 followed from gestational but it was most likely imagined!

I have in total 15 aunts and uncles and 40 cousins, im the only type 1 xxx