Lowish carb bread

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a slice of nimble wholemeal bread it says 8.1g of carbs per slice are these figures on the pack accurate had it with egg and bacon I take it 10 g of carbs for a breakfast is ok I only just fall into the pre diabetes range thanks in advance

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much carb anyone can eat is entirely upto each individual, what was your reading before the meal, 1 hour after and 2 hours after is what is important.

I could eat 50g carbs per meal and still be ok and someone else might not be able to tolerate 5g

But since you fall in prediabetic levels, I would say personally that should be ok but do test so you know what are the spikes you get from what food.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@bladerfc, the carb value for the bread sounds about right as these slimming breads tend to be much smaller in size, there's a bread that some members eat that is sold in Waitrose and can also be purchased on-line, its called Livlife and has just under 4g of carbs per slice.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks a don't really miss bread but good to have a slice now and then might try that bread u suggest

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I can tolerate one or sometimes two slices of Burgen soya and linseed bread, its lovely and very filling too , around 12 gr per slice .

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I bought some Rye and Sunflower Pumpernickel at the weekend to test the glucogenicity of it. It should be dead slow acting, but we shall see!

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I posted about Lidl's high protein rolls the other day, half is 5g of carbs and it is massive and more than enough for me.

Ali

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I bought some Rye and Sunflower Pumpernickel at the weekend to test the glucogenicity of it. It should be dead slow acting, but we shall see!
Well I had a piece this evening, and it seems to be as slow as I was expecting. Will try the morning too.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're prepared to pay through the nose and spend a little time preparing it, Sukrin do a very low carb bread mix, 1 carb per fairly small slice. It's available direct from their UK website, and via Amazon.

I also have tried their sesame seed flour to make savoury muffins of sorts. Mixed half and half with milled flax seed, and flavoured with cheese, etc, it makes a firmer, less cakey textured mix than using ground almonds, and at the (large-ish) size that I bake they're no more than 2g carbs per muffin.

Robbity

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted about Lidl's high protein rolls the other day, half is 5g of carbs and it is massive and more than enough for me.

Ali
thanks for the heads up, bought two this morning and as you said half of one with butter and a boiled egg on was more than enough for my breakfast

Reactions: 2 people

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do all lidl that have a bakery have these mines has a small bakery

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
went in our Lidl this morning and couldn't see anything being sold as high protein rolls,are the called something else ?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do all lidl that have a bakery have these mines has a small bakery
dont know if all have them but this is what your looking for
20140128_183433a.jpg

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just going into lidl now will see if I can find it as I really want to give this a try but if I am not wrong I don't think I have seen it in the lidl near my house.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is a fresh bakery product so you will need a store with its own ovens.

So far so good, I inject for 5 grams and it works.

Ali

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I had a piece this evening, and it seems to be as slow as I was expecting. Will try the morning too.
One slice of this (estimated at 12g carbs given size and regular slice of pumpernickel) this afternoon caused a bg increase from 4.9 to 6.2, however the key point to note is that it took 90 mins to do that and my bg level flattened out after the rise.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Just been to our local Lidl ,it has a bakery but no HP rolls on display and couldn't find anyone that knew so came and phoned which gets you thru to customer service( Central service) so they didn't know if our store did them or not,I will try again later this week.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Just eaten my first Lidl High Protein roll - well, actually only half of a whole one. I toasted it, smothered it in butter and had 2 boiled eggs with it. I'll update everyone with the results later.

P.S. It was delicious and very filling.