Replacement Knee

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to everybody, I am under starters orders for my knee replacements. Right knee first, then left sometime. As a T2 I have to lose at least 20 kg or more before I go back next year, too heavy to have the operation done. So reading lots on the LCHF diet to make sure that I do it right, Just to make me get it right, the right knee keeps locking and stiffening up making it painful to walk on, and today I was told that I need to have hearing aids, both ears, but con just do left ear first.
Life just keeps getting more fun to live with each and everyday lol.... so ttfn from Karen

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I also have have been told I should have a right knee replacement but at 70 and a type two diabetic Ian concerned about infections and I also ride a motorcycle.
I am 75 T2 one metformin only, A friend (75 T2 loads of meds plus injections) had his hip done yesterday and his BGs were all over the place even before he went in .Anyone with diabetes go down for the first op of the day... It is a slightly slower recovery but if you take care and make sure you eat properly, exercise properly you will be fine. I am 12 weeks post op.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hello to everybody, I am under starters orders for my knee replacements. Right knee first, then left sometime. As a T2 I have to lose at least 20 kg or more before I go back next year, too heavy to have the operation done. So reading lots on the LCHF diet to make sure that I do it right, Just to make me get it right, the right knee keeps locking and stiffening up making it painful to walk on, and today I was told that I need to have hearing aids, both ears, but con just do left ear first.
Life just keeps getting more fun to live with each and everyday lol.... so ttfn from Karen
Karen, once something goes it all goes! but hoepfully not all at the same time! You will be fine. Losing the weight will be better for you after the op as you have to do lots of leg lifts and bends. There are exercises on the net pre op and the same ones are use post op. Just heard from a friend that Turmeric is very good for pain and inflamatory conditions and its also good for diabetes so might try following that for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Karen, once something goes it all goes! but hoepfully not all at the same time! You will be fine. Losing the weight will be better for you after the op as you have to do lots of leg lifts and bends. There are exercises on the net pre op and the same ones are use post op. Just heard from a friemndd that Turmeric is very good for pain and inflamatory conditions and its also good for diabetes so might try floowing that for myself.
Really interested in turmeric. As I have flare ups with my Polymyalgia I'm willing to give anything a go. Determined not to go back on steroids. Took them for 6.5 years and believe they did untold damage.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I had a great nights sleep in my own bed so that was a good start. Fasting bg was 7.3 and I'm ok with that. I'm still on strong meds to help me cope with the burning pain. The exercising doesn't look like much but wow I can feel the difference in my knee just after.

Reactions: 2 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I had a great nights sleep in my own bed so that was a good start. Fasting bg was 7.3 and I'm ok with that. I'm still on strong meds to help me cope with the burning pain. The exercising doesn't look like much but wow I can feel the difference in my knee just after.
Make sure you take your pain medication before the exercises...this does help as they take time to get into your body. Try and take the meds at set times through the day and evening. Ice after exercise, elevate leg...once the staples are out you can massage with bio oil or E45 cream.
Take care don't try to run before you can walk!!!!!!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Greetings to all on this post. Turmeric is one of those spices that do not agree with my digestion, so I will look at this option. I had my cartledge out in 97 from my left knee, so I understand the things that go on post op, that was hard work then, so now I must get the weight off and do my best to get fitter before my next review in 2016. I walk with crutches everyday, because of the osteoarthritis in my knees, and the pain in the hips and lower back, so some days I feel like crying with the pain, but thankfully this is not very often, well I need to go to bed so ttfn from Karen.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lorraine,

How's it going?

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hi Lorraine,

How's it going?
Hello Lynn, I'm finished the fast acting morphing and the cocodomol just doesn't cut it. My leg is turning all sorts of wonderful colours and still feeling very hot but the wound is dry and very neat.
How are you now?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Lynn, I'm finished the fast acting morphing and the cocodomol just doesn't cut it. My leg is turning all sorts of wonderful colours and still feeling very hot but the wound is dry and very neat.
How are you now?
Don't hesitate to see your GP if your medication isn't effective. You need to have good pain control to do the vital exercises.

Are you icing your knee? When are the staples coming out?

I'm doing quite well - much better than I was with the first knee. Had all sorts of emotional meltdowns first time round. Am driving again and catching up with friends. Just needed to feel 'normal' again.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Greetings to all who are getting over their knee operations, and I understand the pain and problems that go with knee operations. I wish you all well with your re-cooperation and pray that you soon get back on your feet and enjoy the new found freedom of the new knee's. So for now ttfn from Karen.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
The ice packs are great and I'm coping better with the pain. I have stitches that melt away and they are very neat. Today is day 6 for me and I can move around the house well on my crutches. Doing the exercises to get the movement back is hard task, I'm going to phone the just to get through it.
I'm looking forward to getting mobile enough to get out of the the house and back to normal..

Reactions: 3 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
The ice packs are great and I'm coping better with the pain. I have stitches that melt away and they are very neat. Today is day 6 for me and I can move around the house well on my crutches. Doing the exercises to get the movement back is hard task, I'm going to phone the just to get through it.
I'm looking forward to getting mobile enough to get out of the the house and back to normal..
Great Lorraine you seem to be coping well. Don't forget a towel or cloth under the ice pack as it can burn your skin..

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Been discharged. Went to see the consultant, they were pleased with me, pleased with the xrays, and found out I had my old knee cap not a new one. 12 months for the next review. Got to keep up with all the straightening exercises, massageing, icing etc. Doing 3 x 8 mins on my exercise bike each day. Have to walk outside more but that will come, tried at the weekend and really overdid it, should listen to my leg and not go for a marathon. Next check up is for a liver scan as numbers were up 160 in Oct to 260 in April but Dr. thinks the meds had something to do with that...hope so as I have a fatty liver.....was 537 when diagnosed in April 2013 so was coming down nicely. Just hope its nothing else. I don't drink, can't remember when I last had a glass of wine!
Take care veryone...

Reactions: 7 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
To all with knees that hurt. I am still waiting, and suffering at times due to it, but keep up with the special things you have to do and be patient, it will get better in it's own time. I like the pillow under the knee, it is softer than the bed,,,,ttfn from Karen.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
To all with knees that hurt. I am still waiting, and suffering at times due to it, but keep up with the special things you have to do and be patient, it will get better in it's own time. I like the pillow under the knee, it is softer than the bed,,,,ttfn from Karen.
Karen, it is a horrendous op but well worth it. I only had pain for 2 days, maybe I was lucky, just discomfort but the medication they give you keeps things under control. You must take the medication as prescribed at the time prescribed , do not miss any out or think you can do without. Exercise , ice, and I massage three times a day with Bio Oil, you can use E45 or any good moisturiser. It takes time to heal, takes time for your body to accept the foreign parts but all in all well worth it for the chance of a better life.
Take care and let us know when things start happening for you. Best Wishes to all who suffer with knee pain and those of us who have had the op. We are all different in the healing process but we get there in the end. It's a slow journey, can't rush it it's time that heals.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Karen, it is a horrendous op but well worth it. I only had pain for 2 days, maybe I was lucky, just discomfort but the medication they give you keeps things under control. You must take the medication as prescribed at the time prescribed , do not miss any out or think you can do without. Exercise , ice, and I massage three times a day with Bio Oil, you can use E45 or any good moisturiser. It takes time to heal, takes time for your body to accept the foreign parts but all in all well worth it for the chance of a better life.
Take care and let us know when things start happening for you. Best Wishes to all who suffer with knee pain and those of us who have had the op. We are all different in the healing process but we get there in the end. It's a slow journey, can't rush it it's time that heals.
Very true Hazel. Afraid the knee rules as far as recovery goes. I measure my progress in terms of months rather than weeks.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hello HazelD and Lynn1 for that most valuable information on knee replacement surgery. I have a low pain threshold and not very good at pain, so I will not be the best of patients,, nothing new there then!!!.

I wish you well with your new knees and will let you know when my turn comes around, after my weight goes down a good amount. So ttfn from Karen,,,,

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hello HazelD and Lynn1 for that most valuable information on knee replacement surgery. I have a low pain threshold and not very good at pain, so I will not be the best of patients,, nothing new there then!!!.

I wish you well with your new knees and will let you know when my turn comes around, after my weight goes down a good amount. So ttfn from Karen,,,,
Best Wishes Karen, we will support you..