Holiday

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I was diagnosed a year ago with type 2 diabetes and so far I have been managing it with diet/exercise control only. I am now thinking about having a holiday abroad but I keep worrying about everything. Do I have to take my testing kit for a few days and if so is it ok on a plane?

I'm worried generally being abroad with diabetes even though I have good control and I have no symptoms. I got my hba1c down from 55 to 44 in 3 months but I am still waiting for next blood test that is overdue. The 44 result was from last September. Should I wait for next test until I go abroad or am I worrying too much?

Thanks for any advice.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I was diagnosed a year ago with type 2 diabetes and so far I have been managing it with diet/exercise control only. I am now thinking about having a holiday abroad but I keep worrying about everything. Do I have to take my testing kit for a few days and if so is it ok on a plane?

I'm worried generally being abroad with diabetes even though I have good control and I have no symptoms. I got my hba1c down from 55 to 44 in 3 months but I am still waiting for next blood test that is overdue. The 44 result was from last September. Should I wait for next test until I go abroad or am I worrying too much?

Thanks for any advice.

I was exactly in your position. I also low carb as well. I don't know the new hba1c numbers but I got mine down from 7.9 to 5.4 (I was diagnosed May last year). I've just come back from a few days in Amsterdam (4 days to be exact). I took my BG meter with me, BG was ok while I was over there but slightly higher when I got back *scratches head* but seem to be ok now though. I got back Tuesday. Before I went I researched the place to find out what food I could get easily. Luckily for me I could get more or less the same foods as I am eating here, although I did have to walk 3 miles to get it, but the exercise probably wasn't a bad thing! My next Hba1C is due July, but I was going to see a concert so could only go then, but even if it was just a 'normal' holiday I don't think the timing of my hba1c would put me off. Btw I took my meter in my hand luggage and didn't have any problems.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply! So you didn't need a doctors note for test kit and lancets then?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Thanks for any advice.

Go and have a good holiday.

Unfortunately, diabetes is now our way of life, so unless you want diabetes to control what you do, having a holiday and the other myriad of experiences are just "firsts" of many.

I was diagnosed 3 weeks before leaving for a 9 month trip overseas. My stats are in my signature. I was determined my trip would not be deferred, so I got on with it. I did break the 9 months up by coming back to UK to have bloods and checks done at 4 months. With my current knowledge, I would have had those bloods done overseas. (£65 lab costs versus £700 flight, plus other travel costs.)

I took testing kit with me. My only flaw in that regard was not taking enough strips, then discovering the meter I was using at the time wasn't routinely available where I was, so had a few weeks without testing. But, I had a handle on things by then. It wasn't ideal, but it seemed like a decent experiment, and I didn't go off the rails.

Obviously, any "first" will involve a bit more thought, and perhaps planning, but I can honestly say I have never found myself in a restaurant, bar or house where there wasn't something I could eat or drink.

Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: 2 people

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely go on your holiday! You deserve it. If you have been sticking to the regime that worked for you for the first three months then your results should be good this time too.
It might be an idea if you are flying to take your own food. Having been on a number of flights recently the inflight food tends to be very carbs base...even when you have a choice, You must now have a fairly good idea of which foods work for you. Do you have a tablet or a smart phone? Downloading one of the carb counting apps may help when making decisions about less familiar foods e.g. Carbs and Cals

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi
There should be no problem with taking your test kit in your hand luggage check with your airline ,and declare it when you check in as they may wonder what it is on the X-ray . They probably have hundreds go through every day
Have a really great time
Keep well stay safe JJ

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply! So you didn't need a doctors note for test kit and lancets then?

No I didn't have a doctors note. I didn't even tell them at the scanner and I didn't have any problems. They seemed more concerned about my iPad. That's good advice about the airline food by @Mandy p, they only give snacks on mine but even they were loaded with carbs.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. Has anyone had any trouble when returning with a testing kit? I am only asking this as when I went to Paris (before I was diagnosed) they inspected all of my handbag and make up bag and I was wondering if I would be asked questions then. Do you think it would be bad to test on Monday...go on holiday and come back on the Friday and test then? Also is it hard to get travel insurance? I feel I am leaving this a bit last minute :(

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Princess

Enjoy your holiday, you deserve it. I was diagnosed with similar numbers to you, and as @AndBreathe
mentioned, found I just needed to adjust things a bit, so arrangements for holidays, work trips, meals out etc, till I'd got used to living and eating with diabetes and low carb living in mind! In terms of testing or not on holiday, if you are able to eat on holiday same-ish to what you eat at home, I'm sure you'd be ok not testing, but I found on my first holiday, it was really reassuring to be able to check by testing that I was keeping up the good work! Actually, found bs readings went down, due I think to less stress and walking on the beach.

All the best.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I think you should go on holiday and enjoy your holiday!! well i am going away in July for long weekend-since i was diagnosed. Just be careful what you eat and order and ask the staff where you eat what is in the food , i am sure you will be ok.

have a good time

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies. Has anyone had any trouble when returning with a testing kit? I am only asking this as when I went to Paris (before I was diagnosed) they inspected all of my handbag and make up bag and I was wondering if I would be asked questions then. Do you think it would be bad to test on Monday...go on holiday and come back on the Friday and test then? Also is it hard to get travel insurance? I feel I am leaving this a bit last minute :(

I wasn't asked any questions on my return. With regards to travel insurance I didn't have any trouble although I think it was a bit higher than previous years, but that could be inflation? I tested to reassure myself, although I read the labels I still tested "just in case". I am going away in September, I think I'll still take my meter though.