Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ scottish-jimWhat is the benefit of the ND?....I don't quite understand it....the way you go on it and then come off it after a set period of time. What does it achieve and what way do you eat after you come off it?
I'll try and keep this brief...
I was on full dose Metformin, Full dose Gliclazide and daily Lantus Insulin.
I first did the Newcastle Diet for 25 weeks starting last June (a long time, I know) and lost 5.1 stone. Managed to stop all medication and went on a low carb diet. I panicked a bit about loose skin so I put on 4.5 kilos then realised I shouldn't have worried so I maintained my weight with the low carb diet.
I'm on a low budget so I tend to eat the same thing everyday...
Breakfast was 2 slices Burgen bread toasted
Lunch was an Asda Good and Balanced Ham and boiled Egg Salad
Dinner was a breast of chicken with salad.​
With that diet I maintained my weight and stayed off medication until Mid April when I decided I wanted to lose a bit more weight down to a "healthy" weight and to get my BMI down to a "healthy" figure.
So I decided to do the Newcastle Diet again and this time for 10 weeks.
Currently on week 9 and have lost a further 1.2 stone so far. My weight and BMI are now in the healthy range and I'm still in good control of my blood sugars without any medication.
When I finish in just over a weeks time I will go back to my low carb diet with the only change being the change from Burgen to the Lidl rolls you introduced me to in your other post.

Achieved:
  1. Large weight loss (5.7 stone)
  2. Come off medication
  3. Great control of blood sugars
  4. Healthy BMI
  5. Smaller, better fitting clothes
  6. Much happier
Hope that helps answer your questions and feel free to ask more if you wish.

Cheers

Jim :)

Reactions: 19 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I first did the Newcastle Diet for 25 weeks starting last June (a long time, I know) and lost 5.1 stone. Managed to stop all medication and went on a low carb diet. I panicked a bit about loose skin so I put on 4.5 kilos then realised I shouldn't have worried so I maintained my weight with the low carb diet.
With that diet I maintained my weight and stayed off medication until Mid April when I decided I wanted to lose a bit more weight down to a "healthy" weight and to get my BMI down to a "healthy" figure.
Currently on week 9 and have lost a further 1.2 stone so far. My weight and BMI are now in the healthy range and I'm still in good control of my blood sugars without any medication.
When I finish in just over a weeks time I will go back to my low carb diet with the only change being the change from Burgen to the Lidl rolls you introduced me to in your other post.

Achieved:
  2. Come off medication
  4. Healthy BMI
  6. Much happier

Cheers

None of my business I know but from you info about what you are eating and plan to eat there is basically no veg or salad. ND does indicate a plate of leafy green veg per day is required. Fibre and vitamins and minerals from veg I would think are essential for long term health.

UPDATE - oops, you do mention salad. Anyway, I hope that does include some more substantial veg. than just lettuce or tomato :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Achieved:
  2. Come off medication
  4. Healthy BMI
  6. Much happier

Cheers

Wow...amazing results and now I can quite understand why you went on the ND. It's brilliant that you have managed to get off the medication. I can't help wondering what your GP has to say about your fantastic results? The weight loss alone is outstanding and you must be very, very proud of yourself. Fantastic achievement ...and so many good things out of a diagnosis that has truly changed your life....and very much for the better. It isn't easy to budget for eating differently but you seem to have managed to do that as well. I also eat pretty much the same food most days...mostly because it is similar to what I ate before with the exception of adding a little meat. I love my bread and the rolls have filled that hole and are also helping me to maintain my weight a little easier as low carb is making me lose a lot more than I want to now. 1 stone 2 pounds is enough....just got to tone up what's left and try and not to lose anymore. Serious congratulations on your achievements....:D

Reactions: 6 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Morning all 5.9 got to give up the fags ,throat is killing me this morn.
Like some of the others have mentioned, I am cigarette free since 1st November last year after some 47:48 years of fags. Personally I am still vaping but consider this be healthier and cheaper than cigs.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Reactions: 5 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Achieved:
  2. Come off medication
  4. Healthy BMI
  6. Much happier

Cheers

Jim, that's a belter of hard work, good on you.

Reactions: 10 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like some of the others have mentioned, I am cigarette free since 1st November last year after some 47:48 years of fags. Personally I am still vaping but consider this be healthier and cheaper than cigs.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
I quit 9 months ago and also vape...smoked an awful lot of years and consider vaping a far safer alternative...sure it is still an addiction but much better than all the tar and chemicals of cigarettes. Never felt fitter in my life and no more smelly smoke and gasping for breath :D

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi all im going to see the smoking nurse at 6pm will report back when i get back.

Reactions: 9 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow...amazing results and now I can quite understand why you went on the ND. It's brilliant that you have managed to get off the medication. I can't help wondering what your GP has to say about your fantastic results? The weight loss alone is outstanding and you must be very, very proud of yourself. Fantastic achievement ...and so many good things out of a diagnosis that has truly changed your life....and very much for the better. It isn't easy to budget for eating differently but you seem to have managed to do that as well. I also eat pretty much the same food most days...mostly because it is similar to what I ate before with the exception of adding a little meat. I love my bread and the rolls have filled that hole and are also helping me to maintain my weight a little easier as low carb is making me lose a lot more than I want to now. 1 stone 2 pounds is enough....just got to tone up what's left and try and not to lose anymore. Serious congratulations on your achievements....:D

@scottish-jim is the kind of T2 I have a lot of time for, getting on with fixing the problem and hopefully avoiding long term complications :)

Reactions: 9 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@scottish-jim is the kind of T2 I have a lot of time for, getting on with fixing the problem and hopefully avoiding long term complications :)
He is a shining example of what we all hope to be. :D With the guidance and support here we all hope to achieve the best we can and with people like Scottish Jim we have a role model to look up to knowing that it CAN be done :)

Reactions: 11 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None of my business I know but from you info about what you are eating and plan to eat there is basically no veg or salad. ND does indicate a plate of leafy green veg per day is required. Fibre and vitamins and minerals from veg I would think are essential for long term health.

UPDATE - oops, you do mention salad. Anyway, I hope that does include some more substantial veg. than just lettuce or tomato :)
While on the ND I'm eating the shakes and a big plate of veggies for dinner. Off the diet I intend to do salad as well as veggies.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He is a shining example of what we all hope to be. :D With the guidance and support here we all hope to achieve the best we can and with people like Scottish Jim we have a role model to look up to knowing that it CAN be done :)
Stop it you're making me blush he he

orchid5

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Achieved:
  2. Come off medication
  4. Healthy BMI
  6. Much happier

Cheers

What a fabulous achievement and inspiration for all of us, well done and keep up the good work.

Reactions: 7 people

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Haven't been here for a while. Was getting levels In 6s few weeks ago. Then like,a bolt from the blue was diagnosed with cancer. Had a big operation 6 weeks,ago and have taken that long to start feeling ok again. Have not been low carbing but havn't gone mad. Level this morning was over 12. Need a bit of encouragement to get back to it. Any help gratefully received.

Reactions: 16 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Haven't been here for a while. Was getting levels In 6s few weeks ago. Then like,a bolt from the blue was diagnosed with cancer. Had a big operation 6 weeks,ago and have taken that long to start feeling ok again. Have not been low carbing but havn't gone mad. Level this morning was over 12. Need a bit of encouragement to get back to it. Any help gratefully received.

The stress of recent/current events and just the events themselves is probably impacting on your levels, but 12 is rather high if that's where it has been running.

As you were doing well lower carbing, why don't you just start that again? I can imagine that part of you just wants something, anything "normal" in your life. Well, in our lives, eating a reduced carb diet is our new normal.

But, take it steady and certainly don't focus on losing weight whilst you're in this recovery phase; whether or not you could do with dropping a bit (more) weight as you go along. Make sure you eat extremely well.

Good luck Comfort. It must have been a tremendous shock.

comfort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The stress of recent/current events and just the events themselves is probably impacting on your levels, but 12 is rather high if that's where it has been running.

As you were doing well lower carbing, why don't you just start that again? I can imagine that part of you just wants something, anything "normal" in your life. Well, in our lives, eating a reduced carb diet is our new normal.

But, take it steady and certainly don't focus on losing weight whilst you're in this recovery phase; whether or not you could do with dropping a bit (more) weight as you go along. Make sure you eat extremely well.

Good luck Comfort. It must have been a tremendous shock.
Thanks and breathe. Just what I need to hear at the moment. I'll let you know tomorrow's reading.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Speedy recovery comfort. Hope your operation went well and your on the road to recovery. A normal routine especially with food is good for cancer patients take care:)

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.