Type 1 diabetes rant :). ( revised title ). DIABETES RANT.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, absolutely. It's the 'never having a day off' that gets to me. At certain times I could just do with a break, eg when I'm I'll (no going to bed and sleeping for hours because my BS needs watching even more closely than normal), when I was pregnant (enough to think about without diabetes in my head 24/7 ) and just on those days when life's being awkward.

That obviously applies to everyone with diabetes, no matter what type. It'd be nice if we could ALL have a break.

It's upsetting that there are still people feeling bad about this thread. I really didn't see it as anything other than a rant rom a Type 1 about being a Type 1. That didn't mean people with Type 2 didn't have it bad as well. If we're going to react like that, then I'd like to berate every single person on this thread because no-one's included epilepsy, and having epilepsy is just as hard as having diabetes so how very dare you all rant about diabetes, etc

I'm sure there are things that are 'easier' for Type 1s than Type 2s and vice versa. That does not mean we don't have empathy for each other. However, as long as we're polite I don't see the problem in having an honest rant. I'm sure we all have personal bugbears and sometimes it's nice to get them off our chests. Mine? That there's no cure for Type 1 - no diet, no losing weight, no taking more exercise, no lifestyle changes. Nothing. And that's depressing some days.

Well said, thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've stayed away from this thread because I didn't want to get into an argument. :rolleyes: So this is the only post I am going to make on it.

As a seriously obese type 2 I normally get upset by this type of thread by T1's. However, I have found this one to be different. I would like to say thanks @Anaelena I now understand the T1 perspective a whole lot better than I did before. I took your rant to be just that - a rant and not personal to me or any other T2. I particularly liked reading the facebook extract and wholeheartedly agree with your approach there.

I also agree with @azure about never having a day off. As a T2, one day relaxing the rules a bit because I am ill in bed doesn't affect me too much, I can see how that would be different for T1's.

Thanks. :)

Reactions: 14 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If a rant is so bad to some of you... Why continue to comment ? Allow us to sit in our misery.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've stayed away from this thread because I didn't want to get into an argument. :rolleyes: So this is the only post I am going to make on it.

As a seriously obese type 2 I normally get upset by this type of thread by T1's. However, I have found this one to be different. I would like to say thanks @Anaelena I now understand the T1 perspective a whole lot better than I did before. I took your rant to be just that - a rant and not personal to me or any other T2. I particularly liked reading the facebook extract and wholeheartedly agree with your approach there.

I also agree with @azure about never having a day off. As a T2, one day relaxing the rules a bit because I am ill in bed doesn't affect me too much, I can see how that would be different for T1's.

Thanks. :)

Thank you so much for understanding. Yes , this is not personal to you or anyone else. I honestly did not expect such a reaction from people on my rant. I thought some might read it and get a chuckle , but still do not understand those who are offended. I appreciate it and I am glad it gave you some perspective . That is always great !

Reactions: 9 people

diggerfrank

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hot currys.indian food.
I don't know why every body seems to be harping on about every thing. why doesn't every body just get on with their lives. aged 26 while working on a construction site, I banged my head on a steel girder ( head hight ). It knocked me backwards, flat on my back . wasn't knocked out just winded. From that moment my whole life changed. the full symptons of diabetese came on immediately.I went to my GP that same night and was diagnosed. TYPE 1. I've been injecting ever since. 45yrs ago.I've got the usual problems neoropathy, retinopathy, high bp, kidney transplant 30 months ago,every thing's working real well.had a stomach tumor removed 12 months ago, also asthma, c.o.p.d. but now, microvascula angina. with tny bleeds in both eyes i had a lot of laser treatment.... what happened in my eyes is now happening to my heart...Blood vessels inside are leaking hense the pain i am now getting..stair lift and wet room just installed.. but what the heck..my sister says i have a cavalier attitude to all this , but this the only way i cope. all you to do is go with the flow. cheers frank

Reactions: 4 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know why every body seems to be harping on about every thing. why doesn't every body just get on with their lives. aged 26 while working on a construction site, I banged my head on a steel girder ( head hight ). It knocked me backwards, flat on my back . wasn't knocked out just winded. From that moment my whole life changed. the full symptons of diabetese came on immediately.I went to my GP that same night and was diagnosed. TYPE 1. I've been injecting ever since. 45yrs ago.I've got the usual problems neoropathy, retinopathy, high bp, kidney transplant 30 months ago,every thing's working real well.had a stomach tumor removed 12 months ago, also asthma, c.o.p.d. but now, microvascula angina. with tny bleeds in both eyes i had a lot of laser treatment.... what happened in my eyes is now happening to my heart...Blood vessels inside are leaking hense the pain i am now getting..stair lift and wet room just installed.. but what the heck..my sister says i have a cavalier attitude to all this , but this the only way i cope. all you to do is go with the flow. cheers frank

Who is not going on with their lives ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Me too :) as I think we all are . Stopping to rant and complain doesn't mean we don't. Lol . In fact , I have rarely / never done it in "real life".

Me neither Anaelena and that's why I started The Scream thread, so we could have a good moan and a big blow up about anything and everything if necessary and it's going well :)

Reactions: 7 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I've just read the facebook page from the mother of the diabetic 19year old.:mad: ok, she's a mum and no mum wants to read the bad stuff that could happen to their child, but it is a reality of the illness.

He's gone 19 years without complications, that's great. I just don't understand why she felt the need to stick her nose in to a conversation that didn't involve her.

.......and her comment about cgm's is laughable. Have they started giving them away for free now?

Perhaps she had had a really **** day or was upset about something. Perhaps she also felt like a rant, doesn't she have as much right as anyone else to post her opinions, thoughts, or feelings whether on a Facebook page or here on this forum?
My own rant - I don't believe it is appropriate to copy a named person's comments which include personal information about them on a forum, then critise them without their knowledge, their opportunity to reply or their permission to publicly identify them.Apart from that I agree the right to rant should be sacred! Sue x

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps she had had a really **** day or was upset about something. Perhaps she also felt like a rant, doesn't she have as much right as anyone else to post her opinions, thoughts, or feelings whether on a Facebook page or here on this forum?
My own rant - I don't believe it is appropriate to copy a named person's comments which include personal information about them on a forum, then critise them without their knowledge, their opportunity to reply or their permission to publicly identify them.Apart from that I agree the right to rant should be sacred! Sue x

That was a public forum as this is . It is still up on Facebook and anyone can find it .

M

mrspuddleduck

That was a public forum as this is . It is still up on Facebook and anyone can find it .

My apologies @Anaelena if I've misunderstood, does that mean you have informed her that you are using her posts on this forum so she has the right to reply to comments such as 'stick her nose into a conversation that didn't involve her'? Sue x

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No she doesn't have a right. It was posted by a diabetic speaking to other diabetics discussing their illness and the complications that affect them. Diabetes can be horrible and sharing with others who know what you're going through can be a bit of therapy. Who is she to tell others not talk about health problems that relate to them?

She effectively told them to shut up because she didn't want to know about it. She should've ignored it instead of trying to censor them.

M

mrspuddleduck

No she doesn't have a right. It was posted by a diabetic speaking to other diabetics discussing their illness and the complications that affect them. Diabetes can be horrible and sharing with others who know what you're going through can be a bit of therapy. Who is she to tell others not talk about health problems that relate to them?

She effectively told them to shut up because she didn't want to know about it. She should've ignored it instead of trying to censor them.

So she has no right to voice her opinions because they are different to other people's? And because her views are different her posts can then be exploited without her knowledge in order to critise her, and while we are at it we can name and shame her! Interestingly enough I read her posts in a completely different way, all I read was a mother saying how lucky they had been compared to others and that reading about other people's complications and difficulties frightened her..... I saw no censorship at all

Reactions: 4 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My apologies @Anaelena if I've misunderstood, does that mean you have informed her that you are using her posts on this forum so she has the right to reply to comments such as 'stick her nose into a conversation that didn't involve her'? Sue x
It was through this site .It was under the question section of this site and if you feel so supportive of this lady you can look up the post and let her know . It was a question that new diabetic guy addressed specifically to ...TYPE ONES WHO HAD 15 plus years of diabetes . I believe what you are misunderstanding is that I am not attacking her for her opinion... If you read what I wrote to her ( I am AnaElena Ortiz-Gil) I believe I was very understanding of what she was feeling. I am not attacking her nor did I attack her and believe me others on that post were not as nice .You cannot censor people on forums as we all know but she did imply that the discussion was not necessary. So it is ironic that you defend her right to her opinion yet ours is unnecessary ??? I think I will delete this entire post as it seems to have upset and turned into something it was not meant to be . This may not be the place for me .

Last edited by a moderator:

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am sorry @shaggy1974. It seems this is has turned into something that I feel is very typical ... I am deleting this post .

Edited*******
I actually thought about it and I will not delete this . Although this post is not what I had hoped for I will not disrespect the participants by removing it . Although some are offended by my experience and feelings it will not change my experience.

Reactions: 3 people

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So she has no right to voice her opinions because they are different to other people's? And because her views are different her posts can then be exploited without her knowledge in order to critise her, and while we are at it we can name and shame her! Interestingly enough I read her posts in a completely different way, all I read was a mother saying how lucky they had been compared to others and that reading about other people's complications and difficulties frightened her..... I saw no censorship at all

:banghead:

I'll leave it at that

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never said you have no right to respond as you like. As I also have every right to respond to you as I did.

If anyone is interested ... 2 weeks ago I was on Facebook and a new young diabetic asked a question ( it was from this site actually ) . He asked people who have long standing diabetes to describe their complications from diabetes. The majority of those who posted had at least one complication. About middle way in a lady posted and said that she was very upset about the post and thought it was completely negative and that we all should just be happy we are where we are and focus on the positive . After seeing her post I saw that she herself was not a diabetic but her son , who was 19 was . I include a picture of what I said . If I cannot rant on a diabetic forum about frustrations I have as a diabetic than I cannot imagine where I can. I have lived almost all of my life as a diabetic. I can have empathy for others just as I can for myself.

Yes the rant is tongue in cheek but in every joke there is truth & My age should not negate my feelings. I am in my 40s and look good considering everything I deal with . I am actually not an angry lunatic but a person who just wanted to rant with people who just might understand and not assume I am angry or unhappy in the context of my life . If ranting on a forum makes you an angry person in general well my god we are all in trouble . View attachment 13752View attachment 13753View attachment 13754View attachment 13755

Oh yes. The interaction with that rare breed the "T1mom". I empathise with you on this.. (You have my sympathy.) & I have been involved in JDRF fund raising to cure their kids... (Not any more. Though I work with raising money with an ex partner of a T1M.) I have no complications. Yet. Some of them seem to resent the fact I still draw breath. The matriarchal pacreases of this world who "think like a martyr." Not realising the affect in the kid as they treat em like a freak show in demonstrating prowes in BS control like a dog chasing its own tail...

I just "bolus" for em with a massive dose of see you in the future when yer kid goes off the rails in resentment of your self obsessed D by proxy attitude.

Rant over. See? Some things do get my goat... ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes. The interaction with that rare breed the "T1mom". I empathise with you on this.. (You have my sympathy.) & I have been involved in JDRF fund raising to cure their kids... (Not any more. Though I work with raising money with an ex partner of a T1M.) I have no complications. Yet. Some of them seem to resent the fact I still draw breath. The matriarchal pacreases of this world who "think like a martyr." Not realising the affect in the kid as they treat em like a freak show in demonstrating prowes in BS control like a dog chasing its own tail...

I just "bolus" for em with a massive dose of see you in the future when yer kid goes off the rails in resentment of your self obsessed D by proxy attitude.

Rant over. See? Some things do get my goat... ;)

You know as I replied to her and when I saw the young man who asked the question on there I thought of the irony just might be that , this young man who was asking the question just might have a mother like her. He may want to ask the question just like I did at his age because hearing it from your Dr is not the same as hearing it from those who experience it or asking the question and being told not to worry about .