Type 1 diabetes rant :). ( revised title ). DIABETES RANT.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know as I replied to her and when I saw the young man who asked the question on there I thought of the irony just might be that , this young man who was asking the question just might have a mother like her. He may want to ask the question just like I did at his age because hearing it from your Dr is not the same as hearing it from those who experience it or asking the question and being told not to worry about .

Another irony is this teenager is "stepping up" to good health & longevity.. The "mom" has a blinkered view.
The "future" has as much a duty as the past does in its investment to it..
As an aside. I have an elderly "T1 mom" with the onset of all the mind stuff that comes on with old age.. I take it all in my stride. She's no more a pain in the **** to me, than I was to her back in the day! If she wants the "truth" I tell her straight.. Though unfortunately I have to repeat it like a mantra some days, drawing different analogies to keep it interesting all round.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
About 18 months ago, after being on my own for over a decade bringing up my child who is now a teen, I tried dating sites. These are a huge eye opener and a minefield at times. I tried a new site so I thought, out of curiosity, that I would say I had a medical condition in my profile, bad move, not one member, guys, got in touch. So I did remove it. Met a couple of members, one had a mother with type 2 and the other guy had type 2 himself, but nothing came of these meets.
A couple of months ago, I was messaging a reasonably pleasant guy, so again out of curiosity I said I have a medical condition, Type 1 diabetes. His response was :-
type 1, is that why you aren't sexually active and you can't get anyone ? :eek::arghh::mad:My jaw dropped to the floor, I just couldn't believe what I was reading( even though by with holding the 'medical condition' on another site, I did get lots of messages). After a minute or so, I told him if he wanted to know what it was , then ask or Google it, but then told him where to go and to grow up and then deleted the crass moron. He seemed to think it was Aids/HIV related and a sexually transmitted condition, that just took the biscuit for me:wideyed:. I hid my profile on that site and didn't go back for about 6 weeks.

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
About 18 months ago, after being on my own for over a decade bringing up my child who is now a teen, I tried dating sites. These are a huge eye opener and a minefield at times. I tried a new site so I thought, out of curiosity, that I would say I had a medical condition in my profile, bad move, not one member, guys, got in touch. So I did remove it. Met a couple of members, one had a mother with type 2 and the other guy had type 2 himself, but nothing came of these meets.
A couple of months ago, I was messaging a reasonably pleasant guy, so again out of curiosity I said I have a medical condition, Type 1 diabetes. His response was :-
type 1, is that why you aren't sexually active and you can't get anyone ? :eek::arghh::mad:My jaw dropped to the floor, I just couldn't believe what I was reading( even though by with holding the 'medical condition' on another site, I did get lots of messages). After a minute or so, I told him if he wanted to know what it was , then ask or Google it, but then told him where to go and to grow up and then deleted the crass moron. He seemed to think it was Aids/HIV related and a sexually transmitted condition, that just took the biscuit for me:wideyed:. I hid my profile on that site and didn't go back for about 6 weeks.

I hope this interesting thread can get back on track :) love and peace to all :)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
OMG what a complete and utter pilak :***:

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OMG what a complete and utter pilak :***:

Hi, yes he was and I did think (and also said to the screen:mad:) of many other words as well, but I couldn't repeat them on here :rolleyes: lol

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp, because the OP is Type 1 herself and it's from her own experiences.
Robin. I think I dealt with this query about a month ago.

Oh, sorry, just read your next post. You want to get the thread back on track. So I don't understand why you resurrected a query from me that seemed to knock it off track and for which I explained was my intention to be inclusive?

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Robin. I think I dealt with this query about a month ago.

Oh, sorry, just read your next post. You want to get the thread back on track. So I don't understand why you resurrected a query from me that seemed to knock it off track and for which I explained was my intention to be inclusive?

Okay, I had missed your post that I just quoted earlier, that's all.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Just a line , rrb from what i have read and seen of your posts and experiences, i think you are a very nice lady, and although some experiences are not nice ,they are character building and you have a lovely onedon't worry rrb you will know true happiness

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just a line , rrb from what i have read and seen of your posts and experiences, i think you are a very nice lady, and although some experiences are not nice ,they are character building and you have a lovely onedon't worry rrb you will know true happiness

Thank you Mr Clive you are very kind, too kind and I seem to of had a lucky escape :wideyed: If you are out and about, drive safely :)

Reactions: 2 people

Ladybirdy75

OMG RRB!!!!!! Didn't you have one helluva lucky escape there. What a total douchebag

You're ace RRB

Reactions: 7 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OMG RRB!!!!!! Didn't you have one helluva lucky escape there. What a total douchebag

You're ace RRB

Lol, Lesleywo quoted pilak and you quoted douchebag, I didn't even think of those words, but thanks, they are ace words :D x

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Lol, Lesleywo quoted pilak and you quoted douchebag, I didn't even think of those words, but thanks, they are ace words :D x
Actually the first adjective that came to mind began with F and ended with 'it' but I thought I'd better tone it right down!

Reactions: 7 people

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, but as a T1 of 39 years. Your post don't associate with my personal experience..
On the subject of T2s. My dad was one. (Past tense. You won't find diabetes or its complications on his death certificate.) It didn't make him any less a man than I. He had never been near a burger joint in his life. & was a slim guy too!

Yarp. I could go on... Look up some of the research on what actually causes T2.? Ironically it's an over productive pancreas producing insulin that causes weight gain in the first place. Then fat cells cause insulin resistance... I'm not the ranting kind. So I just left a potted explaination in the hope it stirs an interest in the other side of the fence you seem to have erected...

As far as I'm concerned we're all one happy club. :cool:
This is my own personal experience as a type 1. I cannot speak as a type 2 because I am not a type 2 . If it bothers you so much that I spoke as a type 1 maybe discuss this issue with the other 95 percent that are type 2s. I also did not discount nor say these issues were only type 1 issues I apologize if they offends you especially since 99 percent of anything I read in regards to diabetes is type 2 related. Sorry to be the 1 percent that is not . It is mighty sad that type 2s seem to feel left out all the time.

How do I post a Like to this? Anyway: I couldn't agree more.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is my own personal experience as a type 1. I cannot speak as a type 2 because I am not a type 2 . If it bothers you so much that I spoke as a type 1 maybe discuss this issue with the other 95 percent that are type 2s. I also did not discount nor say these issues were only type 1 issues I apologize if they offends you especially since 99 percent of anything I read in regards to diabetes is type 2 related. Sorry to be the 1 percent that is not . It is mighty sad that type 2s seem to feel left out all the time.

I for one can understand that. But what I don't understand is your reference to my Aunt Bertha as she did not have Diabetes in fact what she did have was Scoliosis which meant she never grew much above four foot tall and had a life time of being singled out for ridicule. It is my Aunt Sylvia who has T2 diabetes which she actually got at 60 not 65.

No offence but I just thought I would clarify those few points.

John

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Above the reply icon are 10 emojis, first one is a thumbs up, which is a like, you can click on the one you want, but only one can be used. Hope this is helpful.