Type 1 diabetes rant :). ( revised title ). DIABETES RANT.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I revise this now to include all and any diabetics... I am not one to purposely leave others out . I only wrote this as my own experience as a type 1 . It s purpose was not to state type 2s do not have the same issues... And now MY UNEDITED RANT OF THE WEEK...In the summer I turned 6 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and no, I do not have the same type of Diabetes that your Aunt Bertha got at age 65. They are totally different. There are about 23 million people who are Diabetic and only 5% of those have the same type I have..When I was a kid I was asked and told the most ridiculous things, not by friends or other kids but by Adults. "That is what happens when you eat to much sugar", "Is it contagious?" "My friend had that and it went away" Often times they would blame my parents or even me. Of course now that I am a loud mouth adult those comments would never fly..

What not to say to me A TYPE 1 DIABETIC...

1".Can you eat that or should you be eating that?"...I have been diabetic for 36 years, do you think I dont know what I can and cannot eat? I never say to a fat person can/should you eat that ? So show me some consideration.

2" Do you have BAD diabetes?" What do you think genuis? Is there a good Diabetes? All Diabetes is bad not only for the person who has it but for all the people in their lives who must deal with it too.

3."If you'd just exercise…or If you'd just eat better"…Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disorder, unrelated to diet and exercise, It was not my parents fault, it is not my fault. Call it bad luck but unlike some type 2 diabetes it cannot be prevented

4."You don't look like a diabetic!".. Maybe it is meant as a compliment but just dont say it. It sounds as bad as someone saying" you dont look like a drunk!"

5. "My grandfather had that and he lost his leg, eyesight and eventually died of kidney failure." Gee thanks for that enlightening story. Can't wait to share that wonderful story with my kids tonight at dinner. Guess what? Your Grandfather was 80, probably had really good health most of his young life. I have had more surgeries and complications then I can put on both hands. I am alive and kicking and hope if I am lucky and with the Good Lords help to make it to your Grandfathers age. Can you explain to me why you would tell me that?

6." I could never do that." (Inject insulin, test blood.) When I was a little kid nobody asked me if I wanted Diabetes. Nobody asked me if I could do it. They never asked my parents if they could. Your saying you would rather be dead then "do it" or that you would give up on life? Spare me.

7. "Oh how sad, you"ll never have children"....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh surprise! Meet my two beautiful boys .

8 " I have seen Steel Magnolias" ...yeah, great she dies at the end. To me this is the equilevent of telling every black person you meet you saw the color purple or every Mexican that you saw... I was born in East L.A. or every gay man Birdcage. Steel magnolias has nothing to do with me and doesn't mean you understand my disease. thanks

9. "There is a cure but drug companies dont want the public to know"..I can write a book on why this comment is so bad..but I won't.

I hope a cure will be found for both Aunt Bertha and people like me. Until that time try and remember we all have our struggles. Think before you speak or even acknowledge you dont know the difference or that you really don't care. Just leave the lame comments for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 50 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
encore encore --- said with no swearing and not harsh at all -- unfortunately many of us have heard these same things !!

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
MY UNEDITED RANT OF THE WEEK...In the summer that I turned 6 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and no, I do not have the same type of Diabetes that your Aunt Bertha got at age 65. They are totally different. There are about 23 million people who are Diabetic and only 5% of those have the same type I have..When I was a kid I was asked and told the most ridiculous things, not by friends or other kids but by Adults. "That is what happens when you eat to much sugar", "Is it contagious?" "My friend had that and it went away" Often times they would blame my parents or even me. Of course now that I am a loud mouth adult those comments would never fly..

What not to say to A TYPE 1 DIABETIC...

1".Can you eat that or should you be eating that?"...I have been diabetic for 36 years, do you think I dont know what I can and cannot eat? I never say to a fat person can/should you eat that ? So show me some consideration.

2" Do you have BAD diabetes?" What do you think genuis? Is there a good Diabetes? All Diabetes is bad not only for the person who has it but for all the people in their lives who must deal with it too.

3."If you'd just exercise…or If you'd just eat better"…Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disorder, unrelated to diet and exercise, It was not my parents fault, it is not my fault. Call it bad luck but unlike some type 2 diabetes it cannot be prevented

4."You don't look like a diabetic!".. Maybe it is meant as a compliment but just dont say it. It sounds as bad as someone saying" you dont look like a drunk!"

5. "My grandfather had that and he lost his leg, eyesight and eventually died of kidney failure." Gee thanks for that enlightening story. Can't wait to share that wonderful story with my kids tonight at dinner. Guess what? Your Grandfather was 80, probably had really good health most of his young life. I have had more surgeries and complications then I can put on both hands. I am alive and kicking and hope if I am lucky and with the Good Lords help to make it to your Grandfathers age. Can you explain to me why you would tell me that?

6." I could never do that." (Inject insulin, test blood.) When I was a little kid nobody asked me if I wanted Diabetes. Nobody asked me if I could do it. They never asked my parents if they could. Your saying you would rather be dead then "do it" or that you would give up on life? Spare me.

7. "Oh how sad, you"ll never have children"....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh surprise! Meet my two beautiful boys .

8 " I have seen Steel Magnolias" ...yeah, great she dies at the end. To me this is the equilevent of telling every black person you meet you saw the color purple or every Mexican that you saw... I was born in East L.A. or every gay man Birdcage. Steel magnolias has nothing to do with me and doesn't mean you understand my disease. thanks

9. "There is a cure but drug companies dont want the public to know"..I can write a book on why this comment is so bad..but I won't.

I hope a cure will be found for both Aunt Bertha and people like me. Until that time try and remember we all have our struggles. Think before you speak or even acknowledge you dont know the difference or that you really don't care. Just leave the lame comments for someone else.

All that applies to T2s as well. [ So what are you meaning by referring to T1s only?]

Edit: All that applies to T2s as well.

(Please disregard the second sentance in my original post, as some see it as me being offended. I'm not!)

Reactions: 2 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my own personal experience as a type 1. I cannot speak as a type 2 because I am not a type 2 . If it bothers you so much that I spoke as a type 1 maybe discuss this issue with the other 95 percent that are type 2s. I also did not discount nor say these issues were only type 1 issues I apologize if they offends you especially since 99 percent of anything I read in regards to diabetes is type 2 related. Sorry to be the 1 percent that is not . It is mighty sad that type 2s seem to feel left out all the time.

Reactions: 18 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, but as a T1 of 39 years. Your post don't associate with my personal experience..
On the subject of T2s. My dad was one. (Past tense. You won't find diabetes or its complications on his death certificate.) It didn't make him any less a man than I. He had never been near a burger joint in his life. & was a slim guy too!

Yarp. I could go on... Look up some of the research on what actually causes T2.? Ironically it's an over productive pancreas producing insulin that causes weight gain in the first place. Then fat cells cause insulin resistance... I'm not the ranting kind. So I just left a potted explaination in the hope it stirs an interest in the other side of the fence you seem to have erected...

As far as I'm concerned we're all one happy club. :cool:

Reactions: 15 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, but as a T1 of 39 years. Your post don't associate with my personal experience..
On the subject of T2s. My dad was one. (Past tense. You won't find diabetes or its complications on his death certificate.) It didn't make him any less a man than I. He had never been near a burger joint in his life. & was a slim guy too!

Yarp. I could go on... Look up some of the research on what actually causes T2.? Ironically it's an over productive pancreas producing insulin that causes weight gain in the first place. Then fat cells cause insulin resistance... I'm not the ranting kind. So I just left a potted explaination in the hope it stirs an interest in the other side of the fence you seem to have erected...

I am one person . It is my experience. As I said ... I cannot speak as a type 2 . What does having it have to even do with my my own personal experience ??

Reactions: 8 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am also very very aware of the differences between the types and what causes them as I am a nurse for the past 20 plus years. I am also married to a Doctor who is a cardiologist. I see both types . The difference is ... I cannot speak as a type 2.

Reactions: 13 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great post and unfortunately far too true....

I completely hate this one. I get it all the time. People saying "oh my god, I couldn't deal with injections ... I'd be dead".

Reactions: 9 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All that applies to T2s as well. ?edited!
I would have agreed with much of your original post had it said 'THINGS NOT TO SAY TO ANY DIABETIC'.

@Anaelena I understand your frustrations at the things people say that are annoying. It can wear you down and make you depressed. As a T2 these things annoy me too. I don't feel left out because people do say daft things to T2s as well. One of the most annoying daft things is that we are sometimes considered 'inferior' to T1s, some of whom think we are to blame for our impairment. A popular opinion expressed in the media.

If this thread was intended for discussion only by T1s there is a section on the forum specifically for T1s that I don't venture into, out of respect for T1s having their own issues that I have no need to comment on. As this thread was not in that section, I see no reason to be excluded from the discussion here.

Unless of course the OP is of the opinion that as an older, overweight T2, my opinions and feelings are not worthy of consideration?

Reactions: 8 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also very very aware of the differences between the types and what causes them as I am a nurse for the past 20 plus years. I am also married to a Doctor who is a cardiologist. I see both types . The difference is ... I cannot speak as a type 2.

Neither can I.. But I can learn from em! ;)

I have my own experiences. But on the subject of T2?? "Not in my name."

Reactions: 9 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eh? I didn't pick up any disrespect towards people with Type 2 in the OP's rant.

I took it as annoyance at comments from people without diabetes, put forward from the angle of someone with Type 1. I'm sure someone with Type 2 could do a similar rant about daft things people say to them.

We're all in this together, but we all have varying experiences, depending on so many things, not just the type of diabetes we have. What bothers one of us might be water off a duck's back to others.

I'm sure the OP's post wasn't meant to annoy Type 2s or undervalue the affect diabetes has on them. It's a cr*p condition for anyone.

Reactions: 25 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eh? I didn't pick up any disrespect towards people with Type 2 in the OP's rant.

I took it as annoyance at comments from people without diabetes, put forward from the angle of someone with Type 1. I'm sure someone with Type 2 could do a similar rant about daft things people say to them.

We're all in this together, but we all have varying experiences, depending on so many things, not just the type of diabetes we have. What bothers one of us might be water off a duck's back to others.

I'm sure the OP's post wasn't meant to annoy Type 2s or undervalue the affect diabetes has on them. It's a cr*p condition for anyone.
Ok. At sometime or another all of the things said in the original post have been said to me.

There has been an additional one or two as well, such as:-

'Type 1s are young and innocent when diagnosed. It is not their fault their pancreas doesn't work. Whereas T2s are generally older, have eaten too much junk food, are fat, and don't take enough exercise. So they brought it on themselves'.

Kind of damages the self esteem! Diabetes is a lousy condition regardless of type.

Reactions: 3 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would have agreed with much of your original post had it said 'THINGS NOT TO SAY TO ANY DIABETIC'.

@Anaelena I understand your frustrations at the things people say that are annoying. It can wear you down and make you depressed. As a T2 these things annoy me too. I don't feel left out because people do say daft things to T2s as well. One of the most annoying daft things is that we are sometimes considered 'inferior' to T1s, some of whom think we are to blame for our impairment. A popular opinion expressed in the media.

If this thread was intended for discussion only by T1s there is a section on the forum specifically for T1s that I don't venture into, out of respect for T1s having their own issues that I have no need to comment on. As this thread was not in that section, I see no reason to be excluded from the discussion here.

Unless of course the OP is of the opinion that as an older, overweight T2, my opinions and feelings are not worthy of consideration?

I see , so what makes what I said valid is adding type 2 to the equation ? One thing I also have learned in life , which I suspect as "an older" person you already know is being "inferior" is a mindset that only you can set . No one else can "make" you inferior. As a child however , adults around you can say things that get to you . Being 7 years old and constantly scolded by the adults (who are uneducated about diabetes) around you for eating this or that is difficult. As an adult you can educate as a child it is not as easy . So if we want to discuss "feeling" inferior . Yes as a child I often felt that .

As far as the placement of my post . I am new here and just posted .
I now have learned to remain on my designated territory,

My opinion on any opinion is that all are worthy of consideration. I can even make exceptions for you inferior type 2s :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
<snip> I do not have the same type of Diabetes that your Aunt Bertha got at age 65. <snip>
How do you know she could have got T1 at that age, the doc may have mis-diagnosed!.
Apart from that most of the rant is IMHO justified & a lot would apply to T2 as well:)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
T1 is vastly different to type 2.

Sole reason.. This is "generally" a disease that is diagnosed in childhood so there is mo if or buts.... It is non blame on that person. Generally speaking we are not fat, have only ate the things our parents thought were ok and is a life burdwn of constant injections and resting or pumping for the rest of our lives.

Sure, we can change carb qty and try different diwts but it usn't going to get us back in to non diabetes. At least some type 2's can reduce their meds.... We can't.

We're injecting insulin for the rest of our ****lives!!!

Type 2's, sorry.... You do not know how it feels to be a type 1 to be waiting on medical companies and research to get us off injections or pumps.

Tablets are a lot wasier to swallow than having to test and inject every time you want to eat.

Some type 2's here have actually shown me just how in sensitive some are to just realising the impact of T1 has on our lives.

Eg. How would type 2'a really feel about having to think every single morning before they even get out of bed...
1) have I enough insulin for the day
2) is my handset charged
3) s**t I have to do a set change
4) ****, today is 6th day, need to do a tube change
5)!****, I forgot to take cartridge out of fridge last night
6) this is after waking up at 3am to do a blood test. Was a bit high, I'll amrend basal before I forget
7) ok.. Shall I shower now, or change everything when I get home after a bath
8) if I do that, will I have enough insulin
9) oh my, I ate my hypo stoppers yest from car.. Got to remember to fill them up
10) oh have I enough blood strips till I get home?
11) am I driving today?
12) s**t I'm not working today so I should have changed my pump last night to "non work" basal profile- did I do it?
13) whats my blood?

Thoughts all within 2 minutes of waking...

This is first thoughts, every single **** morning of our lives....

Doesn't matter about whether its injections or pumps the feelings are the same.

T2's on tablets or diet control or non diabetics do not have a clue what it is to live depending upon injected insulin or pumps.

How we have to (or should) prepare for each day before we even get out of bed is nothing that a non diabetic will ever know.

It is hard.

We carry on. We live with stupid remarks from people who have not got a clue. This is not an easy illness to live with and the insensitivity of people without T1 is **** hard to cope with at times.

Reactions: 28 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was going to stay out of this one but,
I am t2 and like many on here insulin dependant because I have other medical problems I cannot take tablets and diet alone will not do it for me, I am 5ft 7 ins tall and not overweight, I resent the implication that t2's don't know what you are going through as many of us go through the same every day, but then we don't grouse about it, we just get on with life.
Ok so maybe 2,3,4 and 7 don't apply to me as I can't get a pump but the rest sure do.
My diabetes was caused by my other medical conditions not because I stuffed myself with the wrong food fizzy drinks or mountains of sweets, cakes or biscuits.

Reactions: 14 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I did state T2 on tablets or diet only or non diabetics...

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Sorry to be boring (but I'm only a ROOKIE so make allowances ;)), but its bad enough having all the ignorant cr*p spouted at us from those who don't know. Its worse hearing competitive sniping between diabetics, regardless of type who should be brimming over with empathy!
......... GROUP HUG TIME........ :):)

Sue xxxxx

Reactions: 26 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You did but its still a sweeping statement to say how would t2's feel if they had these thoughts before they got up, for all you or I know, they do.

Reactions: 4 people