FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

AnaSofia

Hi everyone! I already have Freestyle Livre. At this moment i don't ever use it. For people who have a little of experience with that... can you explain me what are the cares that you must have? And can you go to beach using this?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's the best thing in the world ever and you should start using it @AnaSofia. It will be fine on the beach.

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick info my sensor number 10 has given me allergic reaction and an infection at the insertion site
weird how our bodies reject these things after a while anyways for other reasons too (BAD sensor readings etc) I have given up with these things

Maybe I will try again in a few years when the tech gets better

All the best to you all with this device hope it all works out Byeeee :¬)

julian27ish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I plan to just use the libra occasionally because I couldn't afford £100 a month. I thought maybe I'd just use it when my routine changes, e.g. holidays or changes in work patterns. Does anyone else plan to use it in a similar way or do you all wear it continuously?
Thanks!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
tim2000s. I'm on day 6 of my first sensor and it is consistently running 1.5mmol lower (average) than my bg tests. I know Abbott say there can be a difference of 15%, but some of my results are as much as 30% out. May I ask how close your sensor readings and bg tests are as I'm disappointed with these results?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
tim2000s. I'm on day 6 of my first sensor and it is consistently running 1.5mmol lower (average) than my bg tests. I know Abbott say there can be a difference of 15%, but some of my results are as much as 30% out. May I ask how close your sensor readings and bg tests are as I'm disappointed with these results?
Right now I am exactly the same between the bg and the sensor. This one is proving to be pretty good and consistently close.

Not all are. When they aren't keep a record of the bg and sensor readings. You will need a few that exceed 15%. They will then swap the sensor.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Thanks Tim. I've kept a record from day 1 and not one has been remotely close. The difference has been 16% to 35% lower every time ! At the moment I should be on the floor with a hypo as the sensor is telling me 3.2mmol, but I'm not as I know my bg is in fact 5.0mmol.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Tim. I've kept a record from day 1 and not one has been remotely close. The difference has been 16% to 35% lower every time ! At the moment I should be on the floor with a hypo as the sensor is telling me 3.2mmol, but I'm not as I know my bg is in fact 5.0mmol.
That's definitely one to get on the helpline and get replaced then.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Sorry, another question. Does it matter that I'm using my own bg meter and not using the libre and optimum strips?

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When applying the sensor are people shaving the application site? Not an issue for my arms but if putting on my leg it's a different story!!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@June_C Don't take this wrong ;) who's to say your meter is right? all meters have to be with in a certain %, what if the Libre is just reading slightly lower and your meter is just reading slightly higher?

a man with 1 watch knowns the time, a man with 2 watches is never quite sure..........

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
@June_C Don't take this wrong ;) who's to say your meter is right? all meters have to be with in a certain %, what if the Libre is just reading slightly lower and your meter is just reading slightly higher?

a man with 1 watch knowns the time, a man with 2 watches is never quite sure..........
Very philosophical saying
But a man with bs at 2.5 for 9 hours would know all about it!!! That's what my last sensor was telling me lol!!

Reactions: 6 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is correct.
The tolerance is about 15% for Libre and something similar for the BG meter. This means that with an *actual* BG of, say, 5.5, Libre could show 4.7 and meter 6.3 and both would still be "right".
Obviously for higher numbers, this gap gets bigger and bigger.

Personally, I find them reasonable close (for good numbers) generally, when I bother to check, but that Libre tends to read highs high and lows low (which I think is to do with the prediction algorithm it uses.

All these things are missing the point a bit for me, though - the real magic of the Libre is not the numbers, but the graphs you see afterwards - the line.

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls

I appreciate your point, but when the sensor was telling me I was 2.3, when in fact I was 4.6, I had no doubt the sensor was wrong. :( It has been running between 25% - 35% lower than my bg and I've even been to the bother of comparing the two bg meters I have and they are only 0.1 to 0.2 different. Anyway, Abbott are sending me a replacement:)

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
@Type1Bri Ahhh!....but what did your blood meter say it was?! lol
I use the blood meter built into the libre, this was reading 5.8 coincidently my glucomen lx plus read exact the same as the libre blood reading so that was reassuring

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
This is correct.
The tolerance is about 15% for Libre and something similar for the BG meter. This means that with an *actual* BG of, say, 5.5, Libre could show 4.7 and meter 6.3 and both would still be "right".
Obviously for higher numbers, this gap gets bigger and bigger.

Personally, I find them reasonable close (for good numbers) generally, when I bother to check, but that Libre tends to read highs high and lows low (which I think is to do with the prediction algorithm it uses.

All these things are missing the point a bit for me, though - the real magic of the Libre is not the numbers, but the graphs you see afterwards - the line.
I'm different I'm afraid, I want to know what my bg is at any given time, I have to say the graphs are interesting, but as I say, not the reason for getting the Libre.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I use the blood meter built into the libre, this was reading 5.8 coincidently my glucomen lx plus read exact the same as the libre blood reading so that was reassuring
I have some strips on order that I can use with the Libre, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare with the sensor and my own bg meter (a glucomen lx plus like yours).Btw, what did the sensor tell you when you were 5.8?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm different I'm afraid, I want to know what my bg is at any given time, I have to say the graphs are interesting, but as I say, not the reason for getting the Libre.
You may find the Libre is not for you. It doesn't tell you your BG level, at all. Full stop. It's also not a replacement for a bg tester, as it does lag your bg a bit (I tend to reckon by about ten minutes).

What it's great for is showing is the range you are in and the rate at which the bg is moving, which I find far more useful than the actual bg.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I got it for the trend arrow. I knew the thing was running lower than my bg meter, but being able to avoid a low blood sugar has been a massive thing for me.

My current sensor has settled down and is now within .3 mmol/l