How Can I create awareness In India...?

priyankakedia

Hi everyone,
I am Priyanka, a Type-1 diabetic for almost 10 years now. I am a resident in India. People in India are very much less aware about type-1 diabetics as minimal percentage of people are suffering from this disorder. Although diabetics is much more prevalent.
When anyone hear that girls at their young age has to take insulin injections they get shock. Because of this little awareness, all type-1's are facing problems with regard to their marriage especially girls.
How can we change their attitude and mindset with respect to this disease...? Can anyone suggest some ideas in this regard. Does life involve many complications at a later stage in life?
Does being a Type-1 diabetic involves issues in married life? My doctor says a no. What are your answers?
How to I create an awareness about it...? Please help.

Thanks,
Priyanka

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Priyankakedia,
If you keep good control you will be able to live a normal active life. If you read on this forum you will find that there are lots of people who have had T1 for many years and many who are mothers.
There are people with T1 both in the US and UK who have lived without complications for 50 or more years. Here is a video of just some of them.
[youtube]OxCpQqjLRo8[/youtube]

If you are wanting to create awareness in general, obviously that's a huge task but there is a charity that aims at doing just that. It's primary aim is helping children, particularly girls , in India to get access to insulin and to educate their families.
http://www.dreamtrust.org/aim.html

Reactions: 4 people

priyankakedia

Thanks phoenix for your reply and for sharing such a motivational video.
Type-1 is so rarely found in India that even the educated ones are not aware of it. When anyone hear that children at young age are on insulin they consider it to be a big problem. No one is ready to marry such child. I am not saying that being a Type-1 involves many issues but this is something which the society has to understand, not us. I am very much positive about my future. As awareness is so less Type-1's feel shy sharing what problem they have because the other people don't understand much. As cancer is so well known everywhere people know what it is all about. But type-1 awareness is much less although diabetes is much known for. We have to hide and take insulin. Life seems dull because the society is unaware about it.
In this regard, something needs to done. I mean till the time no research is out to overcome this we all should lead our lives more freely and happily. For this some sort of awareness on a big scale is needed.

Reactions: 2 people

hello123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
your concern is right. but we r born in such country
u shud show cofodence to others while dealing and seek help of matrimonials as O srr msny indian T1 add there. feel free to contact for possible support. T1 for 33 yeareyour concern is right. but we r born in such country
u shud show cofodence to others while dealing and seek help of matrimonials as O srr msny indian T1 add there. feel free to contact for possible support. T1 for 33 yeareyour concern is right. but we r born in such country
u shud show cofodence to others while dealing and seek help of matrimonials as O srr msny indian T1 add there. feel free to contact for possible support. T1 for 33 yeare

anupk

Priyanka, i'am having T1D since almost an year, whatever you said is absolutely right, people in our country(India) feel that its a big problem and if any one tell that they have a T1D the other person creates an image of huge problem and is a life threatening one, yes it is but one should not showcase that kind of attitude as the opposite person who is suffering would get psychologically disturbed and would not tell other from there on, i feel one should bring an awareness about this in India and i am ready to join hands.

Thanks,
AK

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi Priyanka,I am a Type 1 diabetic for over 52 years and have only a couple of minor complications,providing you maintain good Blood/Glucose control you can live a almost normal life.

Reactions: 4 people

Saintclair

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I am Priyanka, a Type-1 diabetic for almost 10 years now. I am a resident in India. People in India are very much less aware about type-1 diabetics as minimal percentage of people are suffering from this disorder. Although diabetics is much more prevalent.
When anyone hear that girls at their young age has to take insulin injections they get shock. Because of this little awareness, all type-1's are facing problems with regard to their marriage especially girls.
How can we change their attitude and mindset with respect to this disease...? Can anyone suggest some ideas in this regard. Does life involve many complications at a later stage in life?
Does being a Type-1 diabetic involves issues in married life? My doctor says a no. What are your answers?
How to I create an awareness about it...? Please help.

Thanks,
Priyanka

Saintclair

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Priyanka,

Compare to other countries, we find our best vegetables in India to contrôle the level of sugar.Did you Forget our ladies finger,Bitter Melon Pavatkaie and even our Kadalai?These are the best vegetables to contrôle the sugar in our body.
However please remember that in India almost all the foods items in the backeries are sugar items.The Indian children eat lots of sugar Daily and they get this diabete at the early âge.
I stayed in Coonoor but it was very vêry difficult to find a lofa of bread without sugar.
A regular gym or yoga Will help you.
Keep your hope of living and there millions of millions are suffering from this terrible malady.I am too with type 2
Good luck

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

just to let you know, this thread was started almost 2 years ago, and the OP only made 11 posts (last one July 2013) so they probably won't see your posts.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OPs initial question is in regards to "cultural acceptance" with T1..
Priyankakedia's doctor on the other hand seems like a reasonable person.

Incidentally I have been to India. & I have been met with "pity" and the perception my life is before it began in the exclaimed reaction "but you are so young!"

Unfortunately blanket cultural change for the better won't happen overnight.. Better to find that person that can see past it & work together on life..

Saintclair

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To all my Indian friends,

Compare to other countries India Is not taking any calculable steps on food bakeries.
Almost every food items are full of sugar.they eat more sweets .
So diabète Will come to any body at any âge
It Is sad that autoritaires are not taking to help people .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To all my Indian friends,

Compare to other countries India Is not taking any calculable steps on food bakeries.
Almost every food items are full of sugar.they eat more sweets .
So diabète Will come to any body at any âge
It Is sad that autoritaires are not taking to help people .

Whilst this may be true, the OP was talking about awareness of T1 in India. T1 is not caused by eating sugar. It is an autoimmune disorder often occurring after an illness. Also there are very many people who eat vast amounts of sugar who never go on to develop diabetes at all. I agree though that sugary foods are not healthy as sugar increases inflammation which can in turn cause a variety of health problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Dear Priyanka,

Compare to other countries, we find our best vegetables in India to contrôle the level of sugar.Did you Forget our ladies finger,Bitter Melon Pavatkaie and even our Kadalai?These are the best vegetables to contrôle the sugar in our body.
However please remember that in India almost all the foods items in the backeries are sugar items.The Indian children eat lots of sugar Daily and they get this diabete at the early âge.
I stayed in Coonoor but it was very vêry difficult to find a lofa of bread without sugar.
A regular gym or yoga Will help you.
Keep your hope of living and there millions of millions are suffering from this terrible malady.I am too with type 2
Good luck

Hello, the OP, Priyanka, is Type 1 and has been for 10 years ( now in 2015, 12 years)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed. Though I feel the OP has asked a difficult question with regards to a cultural attitude towards people who manage long term conditions (in this case T1.) affecting marriage prospects. & changing general attitudes in this respect..

Incidentally. In the Victorian era it was common for a bride to have her teeth removed as a "wedding present" in order to keep potential future dental costs down for the "master of the house." :confused: