VICTOZA users

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I started injecting Victoza on the 27th of March 2015 and it started bringing my readings down almost immediately. I was so all over the place before, on just Metformin. Here is a graph of my readings showing the drop. I still have some unexplained highs but on the whole doing much better.
screenshot.png
That's fantastic cazza.I'm starting on Victoza on monday and now i can't wait as your previous readings are similar to mine .I can't take Metformin but I'll be continuing with my insulin and Sitiglipten.

Scylla

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi guys
I have looked on here for advice for a long while but this is my first post

I am on week 3 of Victoza now on 1.8 which I have read here many GPs wont allow? The professor that put me on it suggested eventually going to 3 but my GP said he is not licenced to perscribe this in the UK- oops!

My first two weeks on .6 and 1.2 were ok but today i am off work due to severe nausea, headaches, weakness (and the funny burps!) Has anyone else had a delay in the side effects?

I am off my food which is not like me at all ( it would never occur to me to leave some food on my plate until now) - i guess i am worried that the weight loss will come from feeling so sick you cant eat and that just isnt sustainable and i am worried about time off work.

I have also had a cough, sore throat and sniffles that started at the same time as my first few doses and have not gone away despite my best efforts to ease them - anyone else had this?

No pain, no gain - i get that but everytime i get new meds something like this happens and i get down about it

My sugars are always under 10 lately which is good for me (not uncommon to be up at 25 in the past)

ChrisQuinn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone had any information about Victoza from their health care team? The doctor on this morning was very enthusiastic about it's use by type 2s instead of insulin.

Looking at the cost of about £78.50 per month and only 1 injection and probably 2-3 test strips per day I think it would be more economical than two types of insulin, 4-5 needles per day and 8-10 test strips per day.

Unfortunately my Dr is away at the moment but I intend to see him asap to discuss the possibility of using Victoza.

I have been using Victoza daily for about three months now - I'm on a six month trial - if my HBA1C comes down and I loose 3% of my body weight, I will be allowed to continue. So far the HBA1C is down from about 89 to 72, but my weight has remained virtually constant.

The main side effects are wind (both ends) and occasional Diarrhoea - on a couple of occasions I have mis-identifed them, which is not a good idea!

I have had a couple of spells of vomiting, but suspect this may have been an unrelated stomach bug.

I am injecting 1.2mg per day, in conjunction with 6x500mg Metformin and 4x80mg Gliclazide daily.

nessabie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Re: Victoza mentioned on This Morning

Thanks babbette.

That has added the Patient information leaflet to my little collection about this drug.

Someone earlier asked about this drug VICTOZA.
Here is the list of:
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Victoza can cause side effects although not everybody gets them.
Side effects may occur with certain frequencies, which are defined as follows:
• very common: affects more than 1 user in 10
• common: affects 1 to 10 users in 100
• uncommon: affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000
• rare: affects 1 to 10 users in 10,000
• very rare: affects less than 1 user in 10,000
• not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
Very common side effects
• Nausea (feeling sick). This usually goes away over time.
• Diarrhoea. This usually goes away over time.
Common side effects
• Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar). The warning signs of low blood sugar may come on
suddenly and can include: cold sweat, cool pale skin, headache, fast heart beat, feeling sick,
feeling very hungry, changes in vision, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, nervous, anxious,
confused, difficulty concentrating, shaking (tremor). Your doctor will tell you how to treat low
blood sugar and what to do if you notice these warning signs. If you are already taking a
sulphonylurea medicine when you start using Victoza, your doctor may tell you to reduce the
dose of the sulphonylurea.
• Headache
• Vomiting
• Indigestion
• Inflamed stomach (gastritis). The signs include stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
• Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD). The signs include heartburn.
• Painful or swollen tummy (abdomen)
• Abdominal discomfort
• Viral infection in stomach
• Constipation
• Wind (flatulence)
• Decreased appetite
• Bronchitis
• Common cold
• Dizziness
• Fatigue
• Fever
• Toothache
• Injection side reactions (such as bruising, pain, irritation, itching, and rash)
Uncommon side effects
• Pancreatitis

After reading through that lot, I am so glad I am on Byetta. Good luck. :D

Ken.
Hi I was on byetta for a year 18 months and and it got to the point where every dose made me feel or be very sick! I am now on victoza and find it much more user-friendly no need to do it in public before I eat no explaining no sickness and doc is happy with my bloods. As for the side effects the metformin provides the wind and what I eat effects the rest. X

diamonds500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
People who use people.
Hi Carol,

I am also using victoza 1.6 everyday n haven't had any problems I've not lost much weight but could I use a higher dose that might help so when I go be to see diabetes nurse in August I will ask her then.

Diamonds500.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Victoza for a few months now and although it has had an effect on my BG there is a high price to pay with constant nausea ,tummy cramps and diarrhoea which according to my DN is why it is supposed to cause weight loss . I have also had problems with terrible swollen joints which my GP thinks is related .

TrishG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners
Hi, I am due to pick up my first prescription for Victoza on Wednesday which will be combined with metformin 850 x 3 a day. About six months ago my bs started to shoot up and no matter what was tried they wouldn't come down enough.

Helenwales.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
many things depression is awfull,I wish there were more support with Diabetes in my area would love to meet people and talk about the condition ... I get along .
I myself have been advised to go on Victoza, as Metformin gives me stomach aches, also my bloods are very High, the average from 8 to 20, I am Type 2, on and Inject Glargine, also I needed a huge wake up call, on my diet...

TrishG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners
Hi, I have been using Victosa for two months now. It has brought my readings down from 90 to 59. I am also taking Metformin 850mg three times a day. Some days were hard as I felt so ill. Now my dr. Wants me to increase to 1.8. What is ironic is that he has prescribed glucogel in case I have a hypo. I have also lost a stone in weight which has to be a good thing. Now for a funny. Last week I bought a raffle ticket with the number 666. Guess what I won? ...a chocolate cake. Still my family enjoyed it.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
In the interests of sharing information about drug benefits, side effects and risks, people considering victoza might want to read this:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18538438.php

I believe people are entitled to accurate information about the drugs they are prescribed and doctors often do not have the time to keep up to date with everything. They might not even realise some of the long term risks of the drugs they prescribe. So it's a good idea for us to do our own reading.

From what I have read at the above website I believe a safer alternative to some of the diabetes drugs is insulin therapy and the website has an article about that here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

For most people, reducing carbs may be the safest option of all and I believe this should be tried first, and if it doesn't work well enough to get your HbA1c level out of the danger zone for complications, then insulin may be an option to consider.

Just my thoughts.

ChrisQuinn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got to the end of my 6 months trial on Victoza and the outcome wasn't as good as I'd hoped. My HbA1c came down by 12 points (11 required) but my weight only dropped by 1Kg (5% drop in bodyweight required). As I also suffered quite badly from side effects (Nausea, the trots etc) they have decided to put me on to Insulin starting in about 10 days time.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have got to the end of my 6 months trial on Victoza and the outcome wasn't as good as I'd hoped. My HbA1c came down by 12 points (11 required) but my weight only dropped by 1Kg (5% drop in bodyweight required). As I also suffered quite badly from side effects (Nausea, the trots etc) they have decided to put me on to Insulin starting in about 10 days time.
They might start you on mixed insulin or basal only but if it were me I would be asking for a basal/bolus regime with injecting a variable amount with each meal. More details in the link in my post above.

Max250

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pretty well like it all
I am very uncontrolled on current Metformin and Lantus Solostar. I will be switching to Victoza next week. There is no coverage for it in USA and I will be paying $800 a month (500 pounds). For Metformin -- it tore up my stomach and I was eventually switched to the extended release formulation [Metformin HCL ER 500 -- twice a day]. It is a wonder and my stomach does not have any problems now, nor do I have the diarrhea with it. I gained 40 pounds using the Lantus -- felt like I was starving all the time. I have hopes that Victoza will worked better for me.

FierceViking

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys,

So I'm starting my Victoza treatment in a couple of days, as I've been unsuccesfull on both Metformin, Eucreas and Januvia, with some terrible side effects.

But as I've come to understand, there are some people who get serious side effects including nausea. Has anyone gotten the chance to be treated with antiemetics (ie Metoclopramide or Maxolon (trade name) initially to avoid the worst part of these side effects?

There's also a requirement to be on oral antidiabetics (either Metformin or Sulfonylurea) to have this covered by the equivalent of the NHS (I live in Norway)... Not looking forward to this again, as metformin gave me a 6 month diarrhea and sulfonylurea secrets sugar trought the urine, and one of the reasons I discovered my diabetes was trough 6 fungal infections in 4 months...

Any tips or advice?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I started on victory 11 days ago have had no side effects and injecting is easy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'd been on metformin 2g a day for 2 years and no change in blood sugar, the metformin were making me very unwell to the point that my stomach ruled the day, it was not working at all because of this. Change of diabetic nurse and a full review and my metformin was cut in half I was prescribed a trial of Victoza. Yes it can make you feel nauseous and very full even if you've only eaten a tiny nugget of food but the weight loss has been steady and is about 1kg per week for me. If you try to eat normally you will feel terrible and have a very uncomfortable stomach. There are days I feel like a greedy binge eater just eating something small. I am very pleased with the outcome so far and hope that I get to continue with it. I finally feel like I am making progress.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I'd been on metformin 2g a day for 2 years and no change in blood sugar, the metformin were making me very unwell to the point that my stomach ruled the day, it was not working at all because of this. Change of diabetic nurse and a full review and my metformin was cut in half I was prescribed a trial of Victoza. Yes it can make you feel nauseous and very full even if you've only eaten a tiny nugget of food but the weight loss has been steady and is about 1kg per week for me. If you try to eat normally you will feel terrible and have a very uncomfortable stomach. There are days I feel like a greedy binge eater just eating something small. I am very pleased with the outcome so far and hope that I get to continue with it. I finally feel like I am making progress.
I have been on victoza now for 10 months. For the first 3 weeks, it did make me feel full and could only eat small amounts. After 3 weeks that feeling went away and ended up eating the amount I was eating before. The first 5 months I only lost a few pounds. It's only the past 3 months, it was me that decided to start cutting down on my portion size, that I started to lose weight.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I have been on victoza now for 10 months. For the first 3 weeks, it did make me feel full and could only eat small amounts. After 3 weeks that feeling went away and ended up eating the amount I was eating before. The first 5 months I only lost a few pounds. It's only the past 3 months, it was me that decided to start cutting down on my portion size, that I started to lose weight.
Just had my one month review to see how its going and the diabetic nurse has confirmed a loss of 7kgs and happy to continue to let me be on victoza. I do still have to lose a shedload of weight but this was the first progress I have made in 2 years. It seems to work differently for everyone. Are you taking anything else with the Victoza?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am very uncontrolled on current Metformin and Lantus Solostar. I will be switching to Victoza next week. There is no coverage for it in USA and I will be paying $800 a month (500 pounds). For Metformin -- it tore up my stomach and I was eventually switched to the extended release formulation [Metformin HCL ER 500 -- twice a day]. It is a wonder and my stomach does not have any problems now, nor do I have the diarrhea with it. I gained 40 pounds using the Lantus -- felt like I was starving all the time. I have hopes that Victoza will worked better for me.
how did it go?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi guys
I have looked on here for advice for a long while but this is my first post

I am on week 3 of Victoza now on 1.8 which I have read here many GPs wont allow? The professor that put me on it suggested eventually going to 3 but my GP said he is not licenced to perscribe this in the UK- oops!

My first two weeks on .6 and 1.2 were ok but today i am off work due to severe nausea, headaches, weakness (and the funny burps!) Has anyone else had a delay in the side effects?

I am off my food which is not like me at all ( it would never occur to me to leave some food on my plate until now) - i guess i am worried that the weight loss will come from feeling so sick you cant eat and that just isnt sustainable and i am worried about time off work.

I have also had a cough, sore throat and sniffles that started at the same time as my first few doses and have not gone away despite my best efforts to ease them - anyone else had this?

No pain, no gain - i get that but everytime i get new meds something like this happens and i get down about it

My sugars are always under 10 lately which is good for me (not uncommon to be up at 25 in the past)
I'd be interested to know how you are getting on with the Victoza as this post was over a year ago. I can relate to the funny burps, I usually feel very nauseous beforehand then can't stop burping.