OMG don't believe this, LCHF is amazing

registerlady

I have being doing some research into LCHF as recommended by a lot of you wonderful people, and had my first LCHF meal this afternoon of omelette made with three eggs, three tablespoons of full fat cream and a heap of cheddar cheese (yum) Two hours later my bs read 9.2 !!!! This is the lowest reading I have had since diagnosis in 2007 after a meal.

I must admit I approached the meal with trepidation. The old anti-fat advice is so well ingrained in us all it is difficult to believe that this works, but it does big time, and this is only one meal !!! I am really excited now (although there is a chocolate bar waiting for later) My plan is to ease into the eating plan slowly as I want to avoid the side effects as much as possible. Having a child with ASD means that I need to be ready to deal with anything, and can't be laid up feeling sick :) My son always 'needs' something when I am feeling rubbish.

But this one meal has filled me with a feeling that I haven't had since my lovely husband died at Christmas, excitement and hope (guess that's two feelings) and the sun is shining, which is always good for the soul. So a massive big thank you to all of you who pointed me toward LCHF, instant result, amazing. (And I feel full as well)

Reactions: 32 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is wonderful!

Now... what delicious delights have you got planned next?

:D

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The first of many great meals and lowering BG levels I'm sure!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must admit I approached the meal with trepidation. The old anti-fat advice is so well ingrained in us all it is difficult to believe that this works, but it does big time, and this is only one meal !!!

One of my favourite things about lchf is being able to eat real Hellmanns Mayo without feeling guilty, makes a big difference to a salad having a large dollop of something that you've always thought of as naughty ;)
I especially love egg or prawn mayo, but you can use it for so much :hungry:

Reactions: 4 people

registerlady

I just need to find recipes now that fit the LCHF diet. Any one got any idea how to make cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese, in a low carb way? Is there a way of making it with cream rather than cornflour?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just need to find recipes now that fit the LCHF diet. Any one got any idea how to make cheese sauce for cauliflower cheese, in a low carb way? Is there a way of making it with cream rather than cornflour?

Try this:

Cheese sauce

Grated cheese
Cream
Milk or water
Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, herbs, horseradish, mustard

Obviously proportions vary depending on the thickness of the sauce you want, but I use these proportions as a basis:
Use a cereal bowl.
Put in the grated cheese so that it looks like a pile of muesli or cereal.
Add 50:50 cream and milk/water as if you were putting milk on cereal.
Microwave till gooey and melty.

DO NOT BOIL or the cheese will go grainy and split.

I copied this from another thread, in another forum.

Reactions: 3 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @registerlady - I had cauli cheese last night & usually just heat up some double cream in a pan, grated cheese & a shake of pepper & pour over my streamed cauli. I also add sunflower seeds for a bit of crunch! I don't measure out the cream/cheese - I just guess!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to whisk (just with a fork) an egg into the double cream (straight from the fridge), add a handful of shredded cheddar, pour over the steamed cauli and finish in the oven, 10-15 mins. Yum!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cheese sauce I know many others will not do it this way because everyone has their favorite way but I make my cheese sauce the same way I have always made it for over 50 years
I melt a knob of butter in a saucepan and add about a dessert spoon of cornflour and cook over a low heat until butter melts then gradually add milk until it thickens..a classic white sauce..remove from the heat season and add lots of strong grated cheddar cheese pour over the cooked cauliflower top with more cheese and put in the oven until top is bubbling and golden... yummy and just the way my grandmothers and mother made it
As it is so little cornflour it should not spike BG levels like wheat flour can. I have tried other way of making cheese sauce some suggested on here but the cauliflower cheese just does not have the traditional taste that I have known and loved since childhood when it was always eaten then as a meal on its own and for me and my Dad with lots of Worcestershire sauce.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cheese sauce I know many others will not do it this way because everyone has their favorite way but I make my cheese sauce the same way I have always made it for over 50 years
I melt a knob of butter in a saucepan and add about a dessert spoon of cornflour and cook over a low heat until butter melts then gradually add milk until it thickens..a classic white sauce..remove from the heat season and add lots of strong grated cheddar cheese pour over the cooked cauliflower top with more cheese and put in the oven until top is bubbling and golden... yummy and just the way my grandmothers and mother made it
As it is so little cornflour it should not spike BG levels like wheat flour can. I have tried other way of making cheese sauce some suggested on here but the cauliflower cheese just does not have the traditional taste that I have known and loved since childhood when it was always eaten then as a meal on its own and for me and my Dad with lots of Worcestershire sauce.

Because it's different, it doesn't necessarily render it inferior. I find I prefer the "just cream and cheese" variant.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because it's different, it doesn't necessarily render it inferior. I find I prefer the "just cream and cheese" variant.
The OP asked for ideas on a cheese sauce and that was mine. I did not imply other ways were inferior as I said everyone has their favorite way of making it .It is all down to personal preference how we make it is how we personally enjoy it and not meant to be inferior or better than anyone else's

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad that the original still works for you. It would spike me - cornstarch is pure carb, gram for gram, and milk, even whole, is pretty carby. But I find I have to keep my carbs quite low for good control.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad that the original still works for you. It would spike me - cornstarch is pure carb, gram for gram, and milk, even whole, is pretty carby. But I find I have to keep my carbs quite low for good control.

Me too.

Can't do milk, or starch any more. They spike me far too high.
So my cheese sauces are basically cheese, water and cream. But i think i prefer them that way. They're lush. :D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have used soya milk at times and I suppose gram flour could be used instead of cornflour I know some people use that as an alternative to other flours as they say it is less carby but at the end of the day it is what works for us personally

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I have being doing some research into LCHF as recommended by a lot of you wonderful people, and had my first LCHF meal this afternoon of omelette made with three eggs, three tablespoons of full fat cream and a heap of cheddar cheese (yum) Two hours later my bs read 9.2 !!!! This is the lowest reading I have had since diagnosis in 2007 after a meal.

I must admit I approached the meal with trepidation. The old anti-fat advice is so well ingrained in us all it is difficult to believe that this works, but it does big time, and this is only one meal !!! I am really excited now (although there is a chocolate bar waiting for later) My plan is to ease into the eating plan slowly as I want to avoid the side effects as much as possible. Having a child with ASD means that I need to be ready to deal with anything, and can't be laid up feeling sick :) My son always 'needs' something when I am feeling rubbish.

But this one meal has filled me with a feeling that I haven't had since my lovely husband died at Christmas, excitement and hope (guess that's two feelings) and the sun is shining, which is always good for the soul. So a massive big thank you to all of you who pointed me toward LCHF, instant result, amazing. (And I feel full as well)
I began this in April for my husband because I was desperate, he had constantly high sugars never below 10 often up to 19! But I know what you mean about the anti fat advice, my husband also has chronic heart failure...so we've always been told fat is a no no. Within 2 weeks his BS stabalised and he's between 5 and 7 all day even after meals. He still takes his medication but he's been able to drastically lower his nighttime insulin. We began on 60gs of carbs a day but we now try and keep it to 30g. Hope it works out for you:)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Well , good on you ,happy your on the right path now(lchf) you will see many benefits from eating this way,check out the " what have you eaten today" on this forum and also the recipe section,keep up the good work,clive