Diabetes Type 2 taking Cinnamon powder

LesH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the capsules any better than cinnamon powder?
Obviously powder sprinkled on food or drink tastes better

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I recently bought the capsules from the site shop. My morning BGs have always been high, no matter what I do, so trying this in desperation. I've taken one before breakfast for about 4 mornings now, so still very early, but there has been no effect so far. Having read the threads here I wish I hadn't bothered!

ashlin20184

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Diet only
Best way to work it out is too eat something with cinnamon and then eat the same thing without cinnamon.
Keeping the rest of your eating constant or the the same and making sure no fluctuations in stress level and no injuries or trauma in between.
Doesnt work for everyone but it has incredible results for others.

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
As I am of Indian origin we are familiar with the use of Cinamon (in form of sticks or powder) added to the Indian curries as spices . If you had tried Indian curries, you probably know that Cinamon adds test to the food.
After reading articles on herbal treatment of Cinamon in reducing Blood sugar level, I just started taking powders with my Tea /Coffee that also adds some extra flavour to my drinks .I like that. With the believe that Cinamon is good herb that reduces blood sugar I even try the sticks without anything (of course I soak the sticks in water to make these soft to chew ). I fully agree that there might be different varieties of the product ,so we need to be very careful while buying this.
I agree with other forum members comment that though we may not notice the effect directly, but it makes sense to me to believe that it should help .At least , as a natural herb, should be free from harmful substance and should not have adverse effects .
Anyway, thanks for sharing the post . Good to hear more on this

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful with Cinnamon, especially the variety commonly sold in supermarkets because it is Cassia Cinnamon and it contains Coumarin which is a liver toxin and anticoagulant ... Of the four varieties of bark sold under the name of cinnamon, the safest is cinnamon verum (Sri Lanka cinnamon) which contains a very negligible amount of coumarin. Unfortunately, if you can find it, it is very expensive.
I read about this a while ago and checked my own source at the dear old Co-op. It's not expensive and says "packed in France using cinnamon from Sri Lanka", so already the supply chain is lengthening, making true sources more difficult to trace (remember horse meat?). However, I like using it in my porridge groats and in some meat recipes like tagine so I'll carry on. I was also told it curbs the craving for sugar.
Anyway I like making things with as many little jars from the spice rack as possible :p

Reactions: 2 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful with Cinnamon, especially the variety commonly sold in supermarkets because it is Cassia Cinnamon and it contains Coumarin which is a liver toxin and antocoagulant.

A teaspoon of cassia cinnamon a day is above the level thought to be safe for the amount of coumarin it contains. Anyone who is already on any anticoagulant should not take cinnamon as a supplement because it can increase the risk of internal bleeding. Coumarin is also a known carcinogen and has been banned from use in tobacco products and perfumes. In the small amounts normally used in cooking and baking, cassia cinnamon is thought to be relatively safe.

Of the four varieties of bark sold under the name of cinnamon, the safest is cinnamomum verum (Sri Lanka cinnamon) which contains a very negligible amount of coumarin. Unfortunately, if you can find it, it is very expensive. I've tried it as a supplement and found it didn't produce the reduction in blood glucose claimed by the quackery of Dr. Mercola, and Dr. Oz and all the others. It was certainly not worth the £14 for a bottle of 60 capsules.

Having said all that, I still like cinnamon in my oatbran porridge and on my yoghurt, I just don't use more than needed to flavour my food.

I use the shop's ceylon cinnamon Easybetic & so does my father in law. Seems to work - twice a day though. Interested to see if anyone else uses it?

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently bought the capsules from the site shop. My morning BGs have always been high, no matter what I do, so trying this in desperation. I've taken one before breakfast for about 4 mornings now, so still very early, but there has been no effect so far. Having read the threads here I wish I hadn't bothered!

If you are taking the shop one, you won't be able to see results until week 6 or there about, I read something by Dr David Morris on this site - stick with it!

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using Saigon Cinnamon for quite a long time and have used a lot recently as I have had very high blood sugar for a week or two. I did read that it could thin your blood and therefore you have to be careful with it. Due to circumstances beyond my control I have not taken tablets at all yet. I live abroad and It took me a week to get a medical appointment and then my tablets had to be ordered ! My blood sugar had reached 27 so I have taken lots of supplements over the last two weeks to bring it down. The thing that works best for me is chopped almonds. They are such a good snack. I also put a tiny bit of cider apple vinegar in a glass of warm water in the morning. I also bought some Green Doc Blood sugar control tablets which contain bitter melon extract and chrom. My blood sugar today was 15.7 so something is working. I am due to see the doctor tomorrow to discuss tablets. I have been told i will be given Gliclazide but I am not keen as I have an awful fear of Hypo's I am a great fan of treating ailments with natural products if possible but accept that I will have to take tablets at some point soon.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using Saigon Cinnamon for quite a long time and have used a lot recently as I have had very high blood sugar for a week or two. I did read that it could thin your blood and therefore you have to be careful with it. Due to circumstances beyond my control I have not taken tablets at all yet. I live abroad and It took me a week to get a medical appointment and then my tablets had to be ordered ! My blood sugar had reached 27 so I have taken lots of supplements over the last two weeks to bring it down. The thing that works best for me is chopped almonds. They are such a good snack. I also put a tiny bit of cider apple vinegar in a glass of warm water in the morning. I also bought some Green Doc Blood sugar control tablets which contain bitter melon extract and chrom. My blood sugar today was 15.7 so something is working. I am due to see the doctor tomorrow to discuss tablets. I have been told i will be given Gliclazide but I am not keen as I have an awful fear of Hypo's I am a great fan of treating ailments with natural products if possible but accept that I will have to take tablets at some point soon.

Saigon Cinnamon? Is that Ceylon? Because that is the good one... as long as it isn't the cassia cinnamon... What is the chromium in the Green Doc? GTF Chromium I read is the best. If that is it I'm interested too...!

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mogzilian I bought the Green Doc blood sugar control tablets in a German Pharmacy. They seem very popular over here.
I can't find any information on the box to say which type of Chromium it is but perhaps if you google it they will have more information.
To be honest I have been experimenting with lots of different things but chopped almonds bring my BS down a lot and quite quickly.
I bought some Ceylon Cinnamon recently from Amazon but it smells really peculiar so I haven't used any of it.
I know the Saigon Cinnamon can thin your blood so it needs to be used sparingly. I need to do some more research to check that it is actually safe as some people have read that some cinnamons can cause liver problems.

maria111979

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cinnamon is considered very good for BG control. Anyone every tried cinnamon spiced cake? It is yummy

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read about this a while ago and checked my own source at the dear old Co-op. It's not expensive and says "packed in France using cinnamon from Sri Lanka", so already the supply chain is lengthening, making true sources more difficult to trace (remember horse meat?). However, I like using it in my porridge groats and in some meat recipes like tagine so I'll carry on. I was also told it curbs the craving for sugar.
Anyway I like making things with as many little jars from the spice rack as possible :p

I've read that it curbs hunger pangs too. For it to be effective, to improve one's insulin resistance, it needs to be a concentrated amount though...

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mogzilian I bought the Green Doc blood sugar control tablets in a German Pharmacy. They seem very popular over here.
I can't find any information on the box to say which type of Chromium it is but perhaps if you google it they will have more information.
To be honest I have been experimenting with lots of different things but chopped almonds bring my BS down a lot and quite quickly.
I bought some Ceylon Cinnamon recently from Amazon but it smells really peculiar so I haven't used any of it.
I know the Saigon Cinnamon can thin your blood so it needs to be used sparingly. I need to do some more research to check that it is actually safe as some people have read that some cinnamons can cause liver problems.

Hi that sounds interesting. What ingredients are in the Green Doc? I've read that cinnamon can cause liver probs) but also read that Ceylon Cinnamon is OK. They sell it here on diabetes.co.uk under the name Easybetic - I use it and it is good for me (and my father in law). I think I'm the only one to take it as if I do a search, no information comes up in the forum!!?? Only what I've written.. I'm curious as to why no one else writes about it because it works for me... ??? I would think it would be popular...