Heart Beats measuring device: suggestions please

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had periods of arrhythmia, which led to heart investigations.... perindopril, which my doc tells me is good for my kidneys.... I not experienced much arrhythmia since but I would like to keep a track of my heart beats out of interest and was wondering if anyone could recommend any piece of kit.
I don't have a smart phone and pretty hopeless with apps... I have a tablet.
I don't wear a watch and would be happy to wear a wrist device for periods when I think the beats may vary, exercising..
Tagging a couple of folk who have commented on techie bits in past.
Many thanks for reading
Hj
@Baruney @dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had periods of arrhythmia, which led to heart investigations.... perindopril, which my doc tells me is good for my kidneys.... I not experienced much arrhythmia since but I would like to keep a track of my heart beats out of interest and was wondering if anyone could recommend any piece of kit.
I don't have a smart phone and pretty hopeless with apps... I have a tablet.
I don't wear a watch and would be happy to wear a wrist device for periods when I think the beats may vary, exercising..
Tagging a couple of folk who have commented on techie bits in past.
Many thanks for reading
Hj
@Baruney @dunelm
Hi @hankjam, Do you want something that just gives you your heart rate or something that will record your heart rate over time to store on your tablet (is it an android or an apple?).
I use a fitbit and the app is on my android phone as well as on my tablet. It is also loaded onto my laptop. Bit pricey and may not be what you want. You will want something that is fairly accurate so a good start is to look through this website: http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/
Polar are probably the leading brand at heart rate monitors so worth checking them out and Timex do some great basic monitors at a reasonable price (you can even have a play withTimex in Halfords). To get an idea how the timex ones operate have a look at a user guide here: http://assets.timex.com/user_guides/W246_M811/W246_M811_NA_EN.pdf. Check features carefully, especially if you want it to send info to your table. Once you have it down to a couple then go to somewhere like PC world and try a few.
Best prices can often be found online at such stores as Amazon, Wiggle and even Ebay.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hankjam, Do you want something that just gives you your heart rate or something that will record your heart rate over time to store on your tablet (is it an android or an apple?).
I use a fitbit and the app is on my android phone as well as on my tablet. It is also loaded onto my laptop. Bit pricey and may not be what you want. You will want something that is fairly accurate so a good start is to look through this website: http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/
Polar are probably the leading brand at heart rate monitors so worth checking them out and Timex do some great basic monitors at a reasonable price (you can even have a play withTimex in Halfords). To get an idea how the timex ones operate have a look at a user guide here: http://assets.timex.com/user_guides/W246_M811/W246_M811_NA_EN.pdf. Check features carefully, especially if you want it to send info to your table. Once you have it down to a couple then go to somewhere like PC world and try a few.
Best prices can often be found online at such stores as Amazon, Wiggle and even Ebay.
Hi @Pasha and @dunelm
Thanks for your rapid response and the links, they are a good start. Time for some research.
Hj

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola @hankjam It's your lucky day - well we'll come to that in a minute. Know a tiny bit about hrms and can give you some advice later. Bit chocci at the mo but as suggested do some research to know exactly what you want and how much you want to pay. As most people upgrade frequently you can pick up really good hrm on ebay for pittance especially a analogue watch which at this stage it seems is the preferred option. Don't worry so much about brand at the mo just that is ecg accurate. The pics range from £6 to my new toy from eBay the nike+ GPs sports watch £40. BARGAIN! !!! Laters hunk jam.

Attachments

• 1436428812190.jpg
    1436428812190.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 482

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola @hankjam

Have you been able to do a bit if research. What's the main criteria, budget etc.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola @hankjam

Have you been able to do a bit if research. What's the main criteria, budget etc.
Hi @Baruney
I'm thinking that something that will log my pulse, that I can download and look for when irregularities appear, how pulse responds to exercise and how quickly I recover.
I'm not so hung up on calorie calculations, I don't record weights of food any more, just my weight once every two weeks and my vital statistics every quarter.
I have a PC and an android tablet Samsung.
I'm pretty clueless to wifi, got it to work for tablet, wireless rather than communication data transfer... beginning to lose subject matter...
Cheers
Hj

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok
Hi @Baruney
I'm thinking that something that will log my pulse, that I can download and look for when irregularities appear, how pulse responds to exercise and how quickly I recover.
I'm not so hung up on calorie calculations, I don't record weights of food any more, just my weight once every two weeks and my vital statistics every quarter.
I have a PC and an android tablet Samsung.
I'm pretty clueless to wifi, got it to work for tablet, wireless rather than communication data transfer... beginning to lose subject matter...
Cheers
Hj

Ok. How much do you want to spend?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK sounds like you want an activity tracker - monitors are better for overall health but are expensive and have on going costs due to the software license (see here for background reading - worth read - if it's what your after you can get them a lot cheaper - don't worry about the retail price http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/about_us/default.aspx).

Activity trackers have started to be able to track hr. One that is being raved about is this - example only and good description below make sure it is the HR model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...07?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ae9fbee6f

Maybe @dunelm can shed some light though don't know what version he has.

Fitbit's app is also highly recommended

"The App Experience

A fitness tracker's app matters. Whether mobile- or Web-based, the app is absolutely vital because it is where you make sense of the information the tracker collects.

Fitbit has one of the best apps and websites, in my opinion. It lets you record all kinds of data that an activity-tracking device can't, such blood pressure, calories consumed, allergy severity, and stress level. Withings is also a favorite for providing a comprehensive account where you can measure your weight, glucose readings, and all kinds of health information."

Personally I had my eye on one of these but that's just personal choice

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mio-FUSE-...454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfd89834e

of course you can just buy an analogue watch and keep an eye on your activity or a cheaper alternative (if you have bluetooth on your tablet is a bluetooth HRM cheststrap which you sync through various sports apps. Both those options come in £10ish.

I'm more than happy with my Nike+ fuelband and Nike+ GPS sports watch with Polar HRM but that again is personal choice specific for my needs.

Ciao.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK sounds like you want an activity tracker - monitors are better for overall health but are expensive and have on going costs due to the software license (see here for background reading - worth read - if it's what your after you can get them a lot cheaper - don't worry about the retail price http://www.kiperformance.co.uk/about_us/default.aspx).

Activity trackers have started to be able to track hr. One that is being raved about is this - example only and good description below make sure it is the HR model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...07?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4ae9fbee6f

"The App Experience

A fitness tracker's app matters. Whether mobile- or Web-based, the app is absolutely vital because it is where you make sense of the information the tracker collects.

Fitbit has one of the best apps and websites, in my opinion. It lets you record all kinds of data that an activity-tracking device can't, such blood pressure, calories consumed, allergy severity, and stress level. Withings is also a favorite for providing a comprehensive account where you can measure your weight, glucose readings, and all kinds of health information."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mio-FUSE-...454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfd89834e

of course you can just buy an analogue watch and keep an eye on your activity or a cheaper alternative (if you have bluetooth on your tablet is a bluetooth HRM cheststrap which you sync through various sports apps. Both those options come in £10ish.

I'm more than happy with my Nike+ fuelband and Nike+ GPS sports watch with Polar HRM but that again is personal choice specific for my needs.

Ciao.
Thanks for this and taking the time @Baruney I'll follow up these links and see what is what.
Hj

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

"The App Experience

Ciao.
Hi @Baruney and @hankjam - been way fro a few day but to confirm, It is the fitbit charge HR that I have.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Baruney and @hankjam - been way fro a few day but to confirm, It is the fitbit charge HR that I have.
So I see. Hope you had a good time. What's your view of the hr version. Reviews are good but have found that's what's good for one person ain't for another.

From what hunky was saying it looks the business if he can pick one up under £100.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So I see. Hope you had a good time. What's your view of the hr version. Reviews are good but have found that's what's good for one person ain't for another.

From what hunky was saying it looks the business if he can pick one up under £100.
@dunelm @Baruney looking like it might be the one... just need to get my ordering cap on... thanks for the advice Hj

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm
Hi, I would be grateful if you could give me a little on your experiences with said device, how and when you use it, what you use it for and pros and cons and how you've got the comms set up.
Many thanks
Hj

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm @Baruney looking like it might be the one... just need to get my ordering cap on... thanks for the advice Hj
Cheapest buy it now price is £90 on ebay - so you now you won't have to pay any more than that. Watch some bids to see what they go for in auction and check with Dunelm if there is any issues in real life useage.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I have the fitbit hr and absolutely love it! I have an overactive thyroid so my resting heart rate can be very fast at times and this has been fab for tracking it and seeing if my medication is working before having to wait for my 3 month review. Two weeks ago I noticed that it had started creeping up from around 80bbm resting to around 120. Phoned the docs, got some blood tests done, they confirmed levels were increasing and upped my dose! I also use is as a way to motivate me to increase my exercise. It has the default step count set to 10,000 per day and I refuse to go to bed until I get that! You can set the timer on it for when your exercising and it will calculate your calorie burn, average heart rate etc, again fab when you want to monitor your heart rate. It also monitors your sleep, telling you how long you slept, how many times awake or restless. I wear mine pretty much 24 hour a day unless charging, during which time I refuse to move as I don't want to miss the steps haha (about 45 mins-an hour once every 4-5 days for me). It all syncs to a very user friendly app on my phone and tablet so I can see everything at a glance. You can also add friends and do challenges which are also fab for motivation! I'm pretty much addicted to mine, defo the best purchase I've made in a while!

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I have the fitbit hr and absolutely love it! I have an overactive thyroid so my resting heart rate can be very fast at times and this has been fab for tracking it and seeing if my medication is working before having to wait for my 3 month review. Two weeks ago I noticed that it had started creeping up from around 80bbm resting to around 120. Phoned the docs, got some blood tests done, they confirmed levels were increasing and upped my dose! I also use is as a way to motivate me to increase my exercise. It has the default step count set to 10,000 per day and I refuse to go to bed until I get that! You can set the timer on it for when your exercising and it will calculate your calorie burn, average heart rate etc, again fab when you want to monitor your heart rate. It also monitors your sleep, telling you how long you slept, how many times awake or restless. I wear mine pretty much 24 hour a day unless charging, during which time I refuse to move as I don't want to miss the steps haha (about 45 mins-an hour once every 4-5 days for me). It all syncs to a very user friendly app on my phone and tablet so I can see everything at a glance. You can also add friends and do challenges which are also fab for motivation! I'm pretty much addicted to mine, defo the best purchase I've made in a while!
Hi @Trixy83 many thanks for that really useful review, it hit a number of my bits.
I hope all is going good with you and yours,
Hj

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm
Hi, I would be grateful if you could give me a little on your experiences with said device, how and when you use it, what you use it for and pros and cons and how you've got the comms set up.
Many thanks
Hj
Hi @hankjam - About me and my fitbid.
Firstly let me say that if stuff interferes with my day, especially the opportunity to get out on my bike, then I shove it in the "waste of life" bin.
So, likes: very easy to set up on pc/laptop, tablets and phones.
Syncs with all devices.
You can charge it from any usb port - including in vehicle and using a phone charger.
It counts my steps and activities like running up and down stairs and also helps to set targets..
I can track routes on my phone.
Can check heartbeat any time and also get a graph on my computer.
Can keep any eye on how much water I drink throughout the day.
Can share info with others and compete with them if you like - I only do this with one of my sons.
Fitbit desktop is set out in "tiles" and you can turn off many of the ones that you don't use and also arrange to suite.

Dislikes (into my waste of life bin):
adding countless items of food consumed - I tried it for 2 weeks and it was draining my life away. So for me a pointless waste of time but whatever floats your boat. Could be useful if you are counting carbs.
The food diary also does not look at carbs per-se but if you have Google Chrome then you can download a plug in called FitbitKeto that replaces the sodium column with net carbs within the fitbit desktop. You can get this here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fitbitketo/gkpaagblehjajcbedipoaipnhclecemn?hl=en

Hope that helps

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hankjam - About me and my fitbid.
Firstly let me say that if stuff interferes with my day, especially the opportunity to get out on my bike, then I shove it in the "waste of life" bin.
So, likes: very easy to set up on pc/laptop, tablets and phones.
Syncs with all devices.
You can charge it from any usb port - including in vehicle and using a phone charger.
It counts my steps and activities like running up and down stairs and also helps to set targets..
I can track routes on my phone.
Can check heartbeat any time and also get a graph on my computer.
Can keep any eye on how much water I drink throughout the day.
Can share info with others and compete with them if you like - I only do this with one of my sons.
Fitbit desktop is set out in "tiles" and you can turn off many of the ones that you don't use and also arrange to suite.

Dislikes (into my waste of life bin):
adding countless items of food consumed - I tried it for 2 weeks and it was draining my life away. So for me a pointless waste of time but whatever floats your boat. Could be useful if you are counting carbs.
The food diary also does not look at carbs per-se but if you have Google Chrome then you can download a plug in called FitbitKeto that replaces the sodium column with net carbs within the fitbit desktop. You can get this here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fitbitketo/gkpaagblehjajcbedipoaipnhclecemn?hl=en

Hope that helps

@dunelm

It does

as the top half is all good for me and the bottom is also something I'm not too bothered with, I watch my weight, vitals and BGs as input guides.

Many thanks

Hj