**** NHS Cutback Needles - GlucoRx

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back in May sometime, I was surprised to see that my prescription was changed. For the last 9 and a bit years, I have always used BD Microfine 5mm needles, never had any major problems with them. However this time I was given a box of GlucoRx needles. I was very reluctant to use these. I have had copies of BD before which were sent back to the pharmacy to be disposed off and replaced by genuine product, however I was informed that these Gluco needles were legitimate. I decided that I would trial these needles and complain if I didn't get on with them, so I stuck with it for about 2 months. When it came for me to go back to the clinic. I was informed that the local area, Nottinghamshire, is facing cutbacks to services, this includes the needles. It was decided they would switch to UK based GlucoRx instead of US BD all to save a few pennies. I had also found out that my Local GP had changed my prescription for me. A Dr I have not seen for several years nor even discussed my condition with. I was not even formally notified of the changes to my prescription. Why this was deemed ok to do so, even if the GP was forced to sign this off by higher ups. It seems very deceptive.

My complaints with GlucoRx as follows;
  • Needle base was often too small or too adhesive which meant the needle clung to the insulin cartridge, excessive use of these could easily fracture the insulin cartridge or lead to breaking the pen. In my case I had a trusty NovaNordisk 3 break on me. :(
  • Needles were often bent or blunt, this lead to pain when injecting with these needles.
  • Needle is slightly fragile, this meant that the needle could bend upon or during use.

• ALSO NOTE; It is know the Lantus can occasionally sting during or after the injection. I found this pain increased in amplitude and duration when using the GlucoRx needles.
So from the clinic trip in mid June, my DSN made a letter to the pharmacy, and since then I was given BD once again. I hope however doubt that this will be last of this debacle.

A little more information on the companies.
BD Microfine is based in the US and needles are manufactured within the US as clearly stated on their website and needle package. The cost of these approx. £20 for a box of 100.
GlucoRx is a company based in the UK, however their manufacturing is outsourced to South Korea. This means the cost is approx. £7 per box of 100 needles.
Therefore you can see the difference is cost and why the NHS decided to switch to these cheaper needles. However you can also see the difference in quality. Leave you with this "You never regret buying quality".

Anyone else had, used or been switched to these GlucoRx needles? Positive or negative results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yep, i was switched earlier in the year, never had any problems but only use pre-filled pens though.

I 'believe' that the BD pentapoint design is patented and the RX design is therefore slghtly different which may account for a difference in the feeling. I've looked at a couple under a magnifying glass in the past and have not seen any blunt ones.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was changed without notice to GlucoRX and found them horrendous, not only did they bend on insertion they were as you attest very painful when I managed to get one to go in, worst of all was the pain on withdrawing the needle, I ended up black and blue on both legs and tum, I went back to the surgery and complained, I showed the Practice Manager and the Dr my bruises they asked the DSN to watch me inject as they said I must be doing it wrong, she agreed I was doing it right and they changed my needles back to novo fine, and thankfully I very rarely have bruises now but it has made a difference to the insulin uptake in my legs and tum,

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you are using Novopens, why not use the Novofine needles. I've never had an issue with these and they cost about £11 per 100. Much cheaper than BD but just as good.

Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was changed about a year ago and am very happy with the GlucoRX needles. They do tend to stick to the pen a bit more so I sometimes use my fingernail to pull them off; not a problem. I've found them no more painful, fragile or bent than the BD ones and if it saves the NHS money then I'm happy. BTW I also only use one needle per day and any occasional pain doesn't increase during the day when inserting. I use Levemir so can't comment on the Lantus sting.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Have been changed to Omnican needles and though they are a bit more painful and harder to unscrew I would rather a cheaper needle than cut the strips down to save money

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
I use gluco rx with lantus solostar pen and apidra pen, I bruise but believe that's because I'm on constant steroids....I was warned by DSN that they can bend ,have only had this happen twice....as for pain depends where I'm injecting....

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Back in May sometime, I was surprised to see that my prescription was changed. For the last 9 and a bit years, I have always used BD Microfine 5mm needles, never had any major problems with them. However this time I was given a box of GlucoRx needles. I was very reluctant to use these. I have had copies of BD before which were sent back to the pharmacy to be disposed off and replaced by genuine product, however I was informed that these Gluco needles were legitimate. I decided that I would trial these needles and complain if I didn't get on with them, so I stuck with it for about 2 months. When it came for me to go back to the clinic. I was informed that the local area, Nottinghamshire, is facing cutbacks to services, this includes the needles. It was decided they would switch to UK based GlucoRx instead of US BD all to save a few pennies. I had also found out that my Local GP had changed my prescription for me. A Dr I have not seen for several years nor even discussed my condition with. I was not even formally notified of the changes to my prescription. Why this was deemed ok to do so, even if the GP was forced to sign this off by higher ups. It seems very deceptive.

• Needle base was often too small or too adhesive which meant the needle clung to the insulin cartridge, excessive use of these could easily fracture the insulin cartridge or lead to breaking the pen. In my case I had a trusty NovaNordisk 3 break on me. :(
  • Needles were often bent or blunt, this lead to pain when injecting with these needles.
  • Needle is slightly fragile, this meant that the needle could bend upon or during use.

• ALSO NOTE; It is know the Lantus can occasionally sting during or after the injection. I found this pain increased in amplitude and duration when using the GlucoRx needles.
So from the clinic trip in mid June, my DSN made a letter to the pharmacy, and since then I was given BD once again. I hope however doubt that this will be last of this debacle.

BD Microfine is based in the US and needles are manufactured within the US as clearly stated on their website and needle package. The cost of these approx. £20 for a box of 100.
GlucoRx is a company based in the UK, however their manufacturing is outsourced to South Korea. This means the cost is approx. £7 per box of 100 needles.
Therefore you can see the difference is cost and why the NHS decided to switch to these cheaper needles. However you can also see the difference in quality. Leave you with this "You never regret buying quality".

Anyone else had, used or been switched to these GlucoRx needles? Positive or negative results?
You get what you pay for.

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also got switched to these needles and found them horrendous. I gave them a chance and then after a nightmare week with them, went to my surgery and stated that I was not putting up with these Poundstretcher needles another day and would not move from the counter until my prescription was changed. That seemed to do the trick :)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was switched to these pre-pump and although I found them alright they did seem to bruise me more often and the bruises came out bigger/darker and they lasted for a lot longer. I probably could have switched back to my previous needles if I had asked as my surgery are good about these things.

AussieSmegg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons,
You poor buggers in England. In Australia we have a free scheme called the National Diabetes Support Scheme (NDSS). We can choose our needles and they are free. We also have massively subsidised test strips, pens, lancets etc. It makes being a diabetic affordable. BTW I use BD Micro Fine + 8mm 31G and find they are painless and do not leave bruises.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the GlucoRx Needles and I have had no problems to me they feel exactly the same as the BD ones I was on previously.

I have been using GlucoRx needles since I was switched in May also I have not noticed any difference from BD I have even tried both blindfold as I like you am very sceptical to change.

I have not noticed any difference and am happy to support the NHS in any way I can as after all I don’t pay for any of my medication.

You are not 100% accurate on your information BD Needles cost the NHS £9.69 where as GlucoRx cost the NHS £5.95

I want the NHS to be around for the Next 50 years and if they don’t make like for like changes to other quality products it won’t be

So let me leave you with this “I want to help save out NHS money do you”

mungocat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
shopping,crowds and the co-alition government

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the GlucoRx Needles and I have had no problems to me they feel exactly the same as the BD ones I was on previously.

I have been using GlucoRx needles since I was switched in May also I have not noticed any difference from BD I have even tried both blindfold as I like you am very sceptical to change.

I have not noticed any difference and am happy to support the NHS in any way I can as after all I don’t pay for any of my medication.

You are not 100% accurate on your information BD Needles cost the NHS £9.69 where as GlucoRx cost the NHS £5.95

I want the NHS to be around for the Next 50 years and if they don’t make like for like changes to other quality products it won’t be

So let me leave you with this “I want to help save out NHS money do you”

My interpretation of the cost of the needles fall under how much it would cost myself. I would not say how much they cost the NHS, because I am not at liberty to see that information.

I firmly believe in 'you can't regret buying quality' so therefore, if you're going to purchase medical equipment, it should be of the best quality. If you want to save the NHS money, start demanding politians recieve a fair wage, ensure those considerably richer in society pay their taxes.

cliff0805

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been switched to these and I'm not happy with them. Seeing my GP shortly and hope I can return to the BD ones.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
You would think the GP would at first inform you they were altering your prescription and why..