AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the best cereal low or no carb

I don't know of any that could be classified as low carb, never mind no carb. The very fact it is cereal based infers carbs.

I'm sorry this isn't a very helpful post to you, but at least my reply will boost the thread up the lists.

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
I know a lot just have a 2 egg omelette. ..now I know why. lol..thanks xx

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Or bacon/eggs/tomato/mushrooms, or full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries.

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Can I come to your house.lol..thanks

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Or even 1/2 Lidl high-protein roll (see separate thread) with cheese, eggs, bacon, cold meat or peanut butter. The rolls are good either toasted or just as they come, and a lot of people on here seem to be able to tolerate them (I'm one of those :)).

In fact, I've just tested eating a whole one with cheese for lunch and at 1 hour I'd gone up only 1.0. Still to test for 2 hours.

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
What om struggling with ) lack of intelligence maybe) im losing weight. slowly but not all I eat appatently is good for me T2. ...I was bran flakes weetabix wholemeal.toast..I have lost 2 2lb since March. .but BS BG stay high ish

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All of those are high carb. Did you look at the low carb posts on here?

Ali

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm recently-diagnosed Type 2, have switched to a low carb diet and it's a bit of a shock after years on a wholefood sort of diet (vegetarian for a big chunk of time, too). So far, it's easier than I expected it to be, though. Rather than spending lots of time counting carbs, I'm basically cutting out all the obvious foods (bread, cereals, potatoes, bananas, etc) until I've got my blood sugar levels down. Then I'll think about adding in small amounts to see how much havoc they cause. I'm sitting with David Cavan's 'Reverse your Diabetes' beside me and keep reading and re-reading and it's a great help.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are after low carb breakfast and fancy a change from eggs in their many different forms (I love eggs but do need a change every now and then!) try these:
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html I make half the crepe recipe which gives me 4 pancakes (eaten over 2 days) which I have with a handful of berries, Alpro coconut yoghurt and some flax - yum!

http://beautyandthefoodie.com/quick-paleo-english-muffins/ These can be either savoury (I have had with bacon and brie) or sweet and spread with nut butter.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Smigger62

I make my own reduced carb muesli, consisting of a small amount of oats, oatbran, pepitas, sunflower seeds, walnuts, chia, cinnamon, Mix in a big bowl with a little apple juice so it is damp and clings together. Spread on baking tray and toast in moderate oven, turning regularly 'til muesli is crunchy.

I eat about 1/4 Cup with some added ground flax and 1/2 apple or some strawberries and Bon Soy or diluted cream. I can tolerate this well. I just can't do eggs every morning. Once or twice a week at most. And I also need the fibre.

If you prefer non egg breakfasts I can give you a few other ideas. Of course they contain some carbs, just eat to your metre and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Lesley

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Smigger62

I make my own reduced carb muesli, ..... If you prefer non egg breakfasts I can give you a few other ideas. Of course they contain some carbs, just eat to your metre and adjust accordingly.
Lesley

Yes, please - other ideas for breakfasts with no cooking.

I'm still at the very early stages of working things out, and even when I was a child (and I'm now a pensioner), didn't get on well with either much breakfast or a cooked breakfast.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs

I'm still at the very early stages of working things out, and even when I was a child (and I'm now a pensioner), didn't get on well with either much breakfast or a cooked breakfast.
You sound a bit like me, not much of a breakfast person, never have enjoyed eating very early in the day.

I always keep some oatbran muffins in the freezer. They are high fibre and good for lowering cholesterol and usually my sugars are lower 2 hours after than they were at the start.

I make both 'sweet' ones and savoury ones.

Raisin & Walnut

2 & 1/4 C Unprocessed Oatbran
1 Egg
2T Olive Oil
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 C Chopped Walnuts
1/2 C Raisins
1 1/4 C Milk
Mixed Spice, Cinnamon
Some kind of sweetener, like Stevia or Xylitol

Spinach & Cheese

2 & 1/4 C Unprocessed Oatbran
1 Egg
2T Olive Oil
1 T Baking Powder
1/2 C Grated Cheese
1/4 C Thawed Frozen Spinach
1 1/4 C Milk
A few mixed herbs or cumin

Mix all ingredients and place in muffin tins (I use those little cardboard cupcake holders). Cook for about 15 mins at 200.

I often have one of the sweet ones with a cup of tea mid afternoon or breakfast. Or a savoury one is nice with a bowl of soup for lunch. You can substitute the raisins for raspberries/blueberries/apple etc. if the raisins upset your sugars. And I've done the savoury ones with cheese, zucchini & carrot. They are convenient in that you just defrost one when needed or you can pop one in your bag and take out with you for snack.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have just discovered chia pudding - delicious, no cooking involved, can make a batch to leave in the fridge. At first when I read about it I was a bit sceptical and thought it may have a slimy texture. I doesn't. I have only tried this recipe so far: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/08/coconut-lime-raspberry-chia-pudding.html
but if you Google chia pudding there are many other recipes so see what takes your fancy. I used a bit of sweetener instead of liquid stevia.
Also coconut bread good either fried in butter / coconut oil with a handful of berries or spread with nut butter. Make a loaf when you have time, slice it and freeze in individual slices: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/coconut_bread.html

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm ... I was thinking no breakfast-related cooking at any time. It looks like yoghurt and not much else.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Don't you like cooking Jennifer?

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't you like cooking Jennifer?

A lot less than I used to! I'm now heading for 70 and my choices on how I spend my time and energy have definitely changed. And I live at present in a rented flat with pretty **** cooking facilities. But for a long time I've been into a combination of minimal food preparation while still living on a wholefood sort of diet, so the poor cooking situation's not the main reason why I'm like this. I'll investigate adding chia to the shopping list, though.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for explaining more about the cooking situation Jennifer. I have found this recipe whilst searching for other things that may be of interest: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/06/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

Basically a grain free breakfast 'cereal' using nuts and seeds. There is a small amount of prep toasting all the seeds but is made in a batch so once it's done, no more cooking needed. Could put milk on it like cereal or sprinkle over yoghurt.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for explaining more about the cooking situation Jennifer. I have found this recipe whilst searching for other things that may be of interest: http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/06/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/ Basically a grain free breakfast 'cereal' using nuts and seeds. .....Could put milk on it like cereal or sprinkle over yoghurt.

Hmm ... apart from the fact it adds in the cinnamon (which is good for us), I can't see the point of the effort - I'd just eat the nuts and seeds as they come (and do do). Sometimes I think I can be too easy to please! Doing all the cooking can be wasted on me.