29 weeks and size of baby

joanne75

Hi

I am 29 weeks pregnant and my control has been fairly good so I was a little surprised when I went for my growth scan today that they said baby boy was at the top end of the chart so is showing a bit big, anyone else had this and how accurate are the scans as I am now terribly worried. Diabetic team have said its just one of those things, my sugars have been in the 8-10 range on occasions for the last couple of weeks but I am working on getting them tighter any advice from anyone please
Thanks

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't diabetic when I had my children. My 2nd was at the top end of the chart at 30 weeks and was exactly average length and weight when he was born.

I'm sorry I can't advise you how to get your BG control tighter. I hope someone else will be along to help you with that. I just wanted you to know that it could well be 'just one of those things'. :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done, but your diabetes team will be watching you and baby closely and if they don't seem worried you shouldn't be either. Do you know what centile your baby was on?

If you've got good control and you're attending all your appointments, that's all you can do. Keeping tight control is important. It's a lot of work and a lot of testing, but it helps keep your HbA1C as good as possible.

Were the 8s and 10s after meals? That's when I usually got highs. I had to increase my bolus insulin and sometimes take correction doses too. If I got a high I tried to get it down as soon as possible, always being cautious and safe, of course.

Growth scans aren't perfect, but they're the most accurate way of estimating baby's size. They can be out by a bit though so they're only a guide not an exact weight.

Keep your control good and just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Believe me, it'll be over all too soon. Mine flew by.

Best wishes,

Azure

joanne75

Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done, but your diabetes team will be watching you and baby closely and if they don't seem worried you shouldn't be either. Do you know what centile your baby was on?

If you've got good control and you're attending all your appointments, that's all you can do. Keeping tight control is important. It's a lot of work and a lot of testing, but it helps keep your HbA1C as good as possible.

Were the 8s and 10s after meals? That's when I usually got highs. I had to increase my bolus insulin and sometimes take correction doses too. If I got a high I tried to get it down as soon as possible, always being cautious and safe, of course.

Growth scans aren't perfect, but they're the most accurate way of estimating baby's size. They can be out by a bit though so they're only a guide not an exact weight.

Keep your control good and just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. Believe me, it'll be over all too soon. Mine flew by.

Best wishes,

Azure
Hi

Yes mostly after meals but a couple in the morning I have been seeing the diabetic team every 2 weeks since conception and they haven't seemed worried about my bloods even though I have been getting the odd highs, my last HbA1C was 59 and im still not sure if that is good enough?? I have also got what they call Polyhydramnios which is a lot of amniotic fluid which I would have not expected to have considering my control is not way off so I am really worried and the OB doc does not want to see me for the next 4 weeks urrrghhhh have also read horrid things about amniotic fluid on the internet so am scaring myself to death - sorry 1st baby

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi again, Joanne :)

Stay away from Dr Google - it'll make you a nervous wreck! I speak from experience!

I had polyydramnios with my second pregnancy. I believe it was because my control wasn't as tight as it could have been as I'd only just been diagnosed with diabetes so didn't really know much. The main problem it caused for me was that I felt quite uncomfortable. My baby was fine, although she was born a few weeks early (didn't need any extra care). Yes, there are lots of scary stories but as long as your team are aware of it and monitoring you, you should be fine. In that pregnancy I had scans every two weeks in the later stages and, although they noted the polyydramnios, they didn't panic about it or anything, just watched it.

I think your HbA1C of 59 is around 7.5 in the old measures. You should be guided by what your team say as each person is unique, but you could ask them for more Info about what range it should be in. In my recent pregnancy (my 3rd) mine was 27 which is around 4.7, I think.

I don't know what targets you were given, but I was told to aim to keep my blood sugar under 7.8 two hours after meals. That got harder as the pregnancy progressed because of insulin resistance, but that's what I aimed for. I did lots of blood tests to try to keep my sugars in range. I as also told to aim for less than 6.0 before meals.

Of course, it's all balancing act and definitely not possible to have perfect sugars all the time.

No need to apologise for worrying because it's your first baby. I worried a lot during all three of my pregnancies! I think it's completely normal. It shows we care :)

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

My hba1c, was stable pretty much the whole time! I some highs but we're not perfect haha

My baby boy was always measuring big at all my scans, they said it could be my sugars before I conceived! He was born weighing 7lb12 which isn't huge, but some women naturally produce big babies! Xxx

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On the 30 week (or thereabouts) scan my baby was measuring big round the belly and the amniotic fluid had jumped out of the previous curve too - quite drastically. Was told that this was usual to diabetics but nothing to get too worried about (of course I did). By the next scan 4 weeks later, both measurements were more or less back down to the curve they'd been following.
She was induced (the hospital's routine approach) at 38 weeks and was 2.6kg - think the last scan as suggesting 3kg.
(my levels were to begin with 7 and had dropped to 6 by the end)

As people have said, the scans are not an exact science... A good thing to follow but they won't tell the full story.
Xx