The Bitter taste of Bitter Melon.

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I've only formalized my life as a diabetic for less than a month, I have scoured the Internet looking for those more radical approaches towards lowering blood glucose without medication, often coming across the mention of a fruit by the name of bitter melon said to be wildly beneficial for those with insulin resistance issues. So this morning, I went to a South Asian produce market not far from where I live to procure a few of these specimens, which look like elder cucumbers who went straight from the Midwest of America to the tropics to bask under a hotter sun for the furtherance of wart growth and wrinkling.

I split one open to discard the seeds and sliced the shell as this was described by my Internet guide to be the edible part of this so called fruit. The first bite was shocking to say the least. Imagine a swatch of a dusty carpet sample that had been soaking in rancid cough syrup for ten years and that would still taste closer to candy than what I consumed for the supposed benefit of my diabetes. I realized this needed some improvement, so I chucked in into a blender with water, a few blueberries and a packet of stevia, which made it slightly more tolerable as I did manage to get it all down. And now I wait anxiously for improved results at best or digestive upset at worst.

Reactions: 12 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a cynic. (Love your writing style by the way). Before long you will discover many "cures" that are complete magic and indeed some of them will be free. Others will offer witch doctor cures at a price.

The bottom line is that if it tastes nasty you won't keep doing it. In three weeks you will have forgotten all about it.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get capsules of this.
In UK you can get it in capsule format, but I really dont know how good or effective they are, I have personally not tried the capsules.
I make a curry out of them and they are not that bad I would say when mixed with curry spices, but I am sure raw will be terrible, other thing you can do is mix it with some salt.
Or you can use cinnamon, its supposed to help as well.
I dont know if these things really help or not but low carb definitely does.

Reactions: 4 people

CraigDT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Bitter melon definitely needs cooking. Even then I think it is pretty bitter...

Reactions: 2 people

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bitter melon does not need to be cooked. to make it taste better, it is advise to rub salt , squeeze and wash off excess juice. raw slice of bitter melon goes well with honey. which in tcm says honey's will neutralise the bitter melon coolness.

bitter melon could be cooked with chicken stock, some vegetable, eggs , and meat (except beef and mutton) for a soup. using it to stir fry eggs are also good.

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes a note to self to avoid bitter melon at all costs.....I only just got my head and taste buds around Avocado and Aubergine/Eggplant and still can't find the latter acceptable lol

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Since I've only formalized my life as a diabetic for less than a month, I have scoured the Internet looking for those more radical approaches towards lowering blood glucose without medication, often coming across the mention of a fruit by the name of bitter melon said to be wildly beneficial for those with insulin resistance issues. So this morning, I went to a South Asian produce market not far from where I live to procure a few of these specimens, which look like elder cucumbers who went straight from the Midwest of America to the tropics to bask under a hotter sun for the furtherance of wart growth and wrinkling.

I split one open to discard the seeds and sliced the shell as this was described by my Internet guide to be the edible part of this so called fruit. The first bite was shocking to say the least. Imagine a swatch of a dusty carpet sample that had been soaking in rancid cough syrup for ten years and that would still taste closer to candy than what I consumed for the supposed benefit of my diabetes. I realized this needed some improvement, so I chucked in into a blender with water, a few blueberries and a packet of stevia, which made it slightly more tolerable as I did manage to get it all down. And now I wait anxiously for improved results at best or digestive upset at worst.
Hey I put a piece of rotten,damp, mite laden capet into my blender and added a bottle of cough syrup - guess what, tasted just like bitter melon. Coincidence or what lol ?

Reactions: 7 people

Type2Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey I put a piece of rotten,damp, mite laden capet into my blender and added a bottle of cough syrup - guess what, tasted just like bitter melon. Coincidence or what lol ?
Please do a blood glucose test after the first sip. If you got the right number, your delicious concoction is ready to be sold as a miracle cure for Type 2.

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Please do a blood glucose test after the first sip. If you got the right number, your delicious concoction is ready to be sold as a miracle cure for Type 2.
Pat. Pending lol £££ $$$$

Reactions: 3 people