1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The Bitter taste of Bitter Melon.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Type2Guy, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Type2Guy

Type2Guy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Since I've only formalized my life as a diabetic for less than a month, I have scoured the Internet looking for those more radical approaches towards lowering blood glucose without medication, often coming across the mention of a fruit by the name of bitter melon said to be wildly beneficial for those with insulin resistance issues. So this morning, I went to a South Asian produce market not far from where I live to procure a few of these specimens, which look like elder cucumbers who went straight from the Midwest of America to the tropics to bask under a hotter sun for the furtherance of wart growth and wrinkling.

I split one open to discard the seeds and sliced the shell as this was described by my Internet guide to be the edible part of this so called fruit. The first bite was shocking to say the least. Imagine a swatch of a dusty carpet sample that had been soaking in rancid cough syrup for ten years and that would still taste closer to candy than what I consumed for the supposed benefit of my diabetes. I realized this needed some improvement, so I chucked in into a blender with water, a few blueberries and a packet of stevia, which made it slightly more tolerable as I did manage to get it all down. And now I wait anxiously for improved results at best or digestive upset at worst.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I am a cynic. (Love your writing style by the way). Before long you will discover many "cures" that are complete magic and indeed some of them will be free. Others will offer witch doctor cures at a price.

The bottom line is that if it tastes nasty you won't keep doing it. In three weeks you will have forgotten all about it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. brettsza

brettsza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can get capsules of this.
    In UK you can get it in capsule format, but I really dont know how good or effective they are, I have personally not tried the capsules.
    I make a curry out of them and they are not that bad I would say when mixed with curry spices, but I am sure raw will be terrible, other thing you can do is mix it with some salt.
    Or you can use cinnamon, its supposed to help as well.
    I dont know if these things really help or not but low carb definitely does.

• Like Like x 4
  4. CraigDT

CraigDT Other · Well-Known Member

Bitter melon definitely needs cooking. Even then I think it is pretty bitter...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Type2Guy

It needs incarcerating! Than as ash it might taste a bit more palatable.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mine

mine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

bitter melon does not need to be cooked. to make it taste better, it is advise to rub salt , squeeze and wash off excess juice. raw slice of bitter melon goes well with honey. which in tcm says honey's will neutralise the bitter melon coolness.

bitter melon could be cooked with chicken stock, some vegetable, eggs , and meat (except beef and mutton) for a soup. using it to stir fry eggs are also good.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Makes a note to self to avoid bitter melon at all costs.....I only just got my head and taste buds around Avocado and Aubergine/Eggplant and still can't find the latter acceptable lol

• Like Like x 4
  8. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey I put a piece of rotten,damp, mite laden capet into my blender and added a bottle of cough syrup - guess what, tasted just like bitter melon. Coincidence or what lol ?

• Like Like x 7
  9. Type2Guy

Please do a blood glucose test after the first sip. If you got the right number, your delicious concoction is ready to be sold as a miracle cure for Type 2.

• Like Like x 6
  10. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Pat. Pending lol £££ $$$$

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

But we get a discount right ??????

• Like Like x 4
  12. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

If it doesn't get passed by NICE can we use it like creosote & get you to paint the girl shed?

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook