Discussion SpotOn - an insulin dosage prediction app

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is actually really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing! I think their approach goes one step further than what I intend to do, but it looks really promising! Do you know if they plan to build an app based on this knowledge? They should!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have decided I am buying myself an android phone for this stuff. It's something that I can't do on my iPhone... It can be my "Diabetes phone". Wouldn't it be great if we could make it speak bluetooth to a pump so we could use it as a pump controller...?

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is actually really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing! I think their approach goes one step further than what I intend to do, but it looks really promising! Do you know if they plan to build an app based on this knowledge? They should!
I wish! But they are wary of the FDA who wouldn't approve of them distributing this.
Some experimental branches of NightScout use bits of the DIYPS code.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided I am buying myself an android phone for this stuff. It's something that I can't do on my iPhone... It can be my "Diabetes phone". Wouldn't it be great if we could make it speak bluetooth to a pump so we could use it as a pump controller...?
Scott Leibrand & Dana Lewis of OpenAPS have already "closed the loop" and are controlling a Medtronic pump with great success.
http://diyps.org/2014/11/26/what-we...ng-the-loop-with-diyps-and-open-process-work/

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However, if I understand it correctly they are building a purely reactive system. In control engineering you would call his a pure feedback system. What I would like to achieve with spoton is to create a model (multiple input, single output system) of the BG level in order to add a feed forward component. I think the two approaches are complementary and not competing.
I wish! But they are wary of the FDA who wouldn't approve of them distributing this.
Some experimental branches of NightScout use bits of the DIYPS code.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
However, if I understand it correctly they are building a purely reactive system. In control engineering you would call his a pure feedback system. What I would like to achieve with spoton is to create a model (multiple input, single output system) of the BG level in order to add a feed forward component. I think the two approaches are complementary and not competing.
Don't claim to understand but it sounds good! A system that "learns"?

Reactions: 4 people

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@DunePlodder: Yes, that's essentially the idea. Instead of simply reacting to a currently high or low BG value, you anticipate the needed insulin/carbs to keep the BG on the desired level.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's interesting, but introduces something into the mix which is totally out there. The idea of a predictive bolus. Whilst that's all very nice, it does require that you have a reasonably predictable schedule. That's not a reason to discount it, but I'm not sure how useful I personally would find that!

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's interesting, but introduces something into the mix which is totally out there. The idea of a predictive bolus. Whilst that's all very nice, it does require that you have a reasonably predictable schedule. That's not a reason to discount it, but I'm not sure how useful I personally would find that!
I don't think you need to have a predicatble schedule in order to predict the required bolus. I do think that you need to know the effect of all the variables which determine your BG (carbs, sport, stress, base need, insulin [and many more]). Then you would just need to tell the algorithm what you are planning to do in terms of these variables and you could predict the BG value.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't seem to find it. When was that discussion you are refering to? Or can you copy the text here?
Sorry, it's just something that's cropped up there over the last month or so I've been looking at it. It wasn't a specific thread. Try searching for "bolus" in the box top right.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think you need to have a predicatble schedule in order to predict the required bolus. I do think that you need to know the effect of all the variables which determine your BG (carbs, sport, stress, base need, insulin [and many more]). Then you would just need to tell the algorithm what you are planning to do in terms of these variables and you could predict the BG value.
But therein lies the point - you are saying predict (plan) what you are going to do in order to predict how much insulin to give. Even the body has only limited mastery of that, e.g. activation of the saliva glands leading to increase in stomach acid, potential insulin release, etc.

Given the time frame of exogenous insulin action, that may prove challenging!

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:D I like your analogy!

But, at least for me, I usually know what I'm gonna do in the next hours. With Humalog/Lantus I need to plan around 30min to 2h in advance anyway (depending on which variable). Is this not the case for you?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Typically not more than thirty mins I find, especially with how I eat and train.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Count me in. The rate at which bolus ratios can change I would make sure that your algorithm isn't a train once solution since it will need to continually evolve.

Possibly not as interesting for end users but while developing would be good to see what confidence level your algorithm has in the dose it is suggesting.

SpotOn App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andy, happy to hear you want use the app! The download link in the earlier post should still work. Let me know if you experience any issues or have questions regarding the app!

Concerning your first point: yes, the model assigns a higher weight to measurements that are recent. Thus they will have more impact on the dosage computation.

For the second point: great idea! Do you have any suggestion how this could be implemented?