1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Discussion SpotOn - an insulin dosage prediction app

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by SpotOn App, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SpotOn App

SpotOn App Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone,

I am creating an app that helps you to better estimate the needed bolus insulin dosage. It does so by means of a machine learning algorithm, which essentially learns from past values.

In order to proceed with the development, I am looking for type I diabetics who would like to help validating the app by regularly entering the measurements, calories and dosage and giving feedback about the accuracy of the prediction. You will have the possibility to shape the app and make it really useful.

Please contact me if you are interested to help make this app made by diabetics for diabetics a success!

The SpotOn developer

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Spot on is a flea treatment for cats and dogs

• Like Like x 17
  3. SpotOn App

Hahaha thanks for the hint! Anybody else got this first association? Maybe I should think of a better name then ;-)

The functionality is still as described, however :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Hi

Something very similar is already being developed through a famous hospital .......ABC4D advanced bolus calculator

5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd be up for participating. You need to track carbs not calories.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was about to say the same thing ! Calories and blood glucose in a bolus predictor would be useless .

I'd be up for participating , and cross reference my own, personal method of calculating bolus.

One wee hint though, make sure yours has a half unit facility ;)

Signy

• Like Like x 6
  7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I thought of flea treatments at first as well.

My issue with all of these things is the amount of time I have to send recording stuff.

If I know my ratios and food carb/protein content, then I generically work my bolus out. My brain algorithm is pretty good at this, has had loads of practice and doesn't require me to type anything anywhere.

If I notice anomalies in testing, then I check the top of my novopen echo to confirm what my insulin was. Then I'll write something down and test again tomorrow to try and spot a pattern.

I kind of thought this was how people worked. Do people rely heavily on bolus calculators for what I consider to be very simple maths?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Heathenlass

I calculate my boluses based on personal knowledge , but occasionally have a brain overloaded ***???? Moment despite years of practice :confused: I'd like to cross check my own calculations sometimes, but some of the bolus wizards I have tried have not been too great.

Signy

• Like Like x 4
  9. Spiker

I agree it's mostly basic arithmetic but I also agree that occasionally the brain gets foggy and a cross check is helpful.
    Tbh the bolus calculator on my pump has been one of the handiest features, for convenience and piece of mind.
    A really useful bolus calculator would:

- track Insulin On Board
    - handle protein
    - handle fat
    - accept follow up BG data and suggest ratio changes if the follow up values are consistently off
    - facilitate basal rate recalibration during fasting periods, based on BG inputs

The additional inputs you need to track are

- time of day
    - exercise duration and intensity (tricky)
    - illness
    - change of routine
    - skipped meals, activity or sleep
    - basal or bolus dosing errors (+/-)
    - different insulin types. (Different QA and basal insulins have different onset times, peak times, duration and total action. Most of these factors are dose dependent even for the same insulin type)
    - subcutaneous vs intramuscular injection
    - pump vs pen
    - bolus time vs meal time eg 20 min before, at start of meal, after meal, etc
    - split bolus doses
    - mixed QA type bolus doses
    - quick / long insulin mixes
    - ambient temperature / season
    - menstruation
    - medications eg steroids
    - body weight

Daunted yet? :)

• Like Like x 4
    #9 Spiker, Mar 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  10. Spiker

It would be ideal if the app (presumably on a smartphone) integrated with meters and pumps, ideally wirelessly, to get BG and dosage data.

11. Spiker

You know what would be good is a dose calculator built in to an insulin pen, or as a pen cap accessory. You could set your ratios, and then dial up based on carbs and/or BG readings rather than units.

It could even be mechanical rather than electronic. (Handy for the coming Zombie Apocalypse.)

• Like Like x 5
  12. Heathenlass

LOL @Spiker, you don't want much then ? :D:D

The poor OP is probably sobbing in a corner as we speak ! :eek::D

Signy

Ps. Can it also make tea ? ;)

• Like Like x 6
  13. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

Lol ! SpotOn guy has thrown the towel in and is currently collecting trollies at Tesco :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

What you need is a BiAP and get plugged in lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. Heathenlass

Thinking about it, I remember a girl on my DAFNE course that truly struggled with dosing because of dyscalculia . A bolus wizard was suggested for her, actually I think it was the DAFNE app !

Signy

16. SpotOn App

First of all: Great guys!! I didn't expect so much feedback and I'm really happy to have it!!!

To all those who'd say they'd like to participate: I'll PM you!

You're right! It's a translation error from my side. Sorry.

Do you have more details? Would be stupid to develop the same thing twice!

I agree! I myself do it like that. However I see two applications: First, when you are not so sure and want to get a "second opinion", second if you are not experienced this app could really help you!

Therefore: I'd like to make the app as simple and quick to use as possible. If it's difficult to enter data, nobody is ever gonna use it.

Great idea! That is definitly the way it'll work in the future, but I'm no big pharmaceutics cooperation, so I have to get this app working first ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Spiker

Well I had that on my wish list but I didn't want to overwhelm the poor guy. ;-)

• Like Like x 2
  18. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I'm waiting for novopen to Bluetooth the pen so it can talk to my phone and/or meter so there is one less thing for me to have to input...

• Like Like x 2
  19. SpotOn App

I wrote you a PM!

20. encore1332

encore1332 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I will have a go, pancreas seems to have finally died of and stopped causing trouble. in the process of working out my ratios and any help would be appreciated

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook