What pressure is being put on the government to ban sugar in non dessert products?

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
Is it just me or should sugar be banned from non dessert foods.

If people want to add it then they can as a choice.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately sugar is only half the problem though and it is added to some degree in most processed foods. They are trying to add a sugar tax to fizzy and energy drinks over here to curb consumption.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
curb consumptions seems to me they want to tax anything that will bring in some revenue for them..... tax for this tax for that even tax people on their pensions... rant over :meh:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The sad part about that statement is that it is true. I know that it has to start somewhere but the problem is finding someone in the government who has enough backbone to implement it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The lobbyists from the food industry have politicians in there back pockets and until the system changes, you haven't got a chance of changing things!

In my opinion!

Rant over!

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
Unfortunately sugar is only half the problem though and it is added to some degree in most processed foods. They are trying to add a sugar tax to fizzy and energy drinks over here to curb consumption.
I think it's more than half the problem. However answering my own questions. .. I doubt the government will do it given they are planning a stealth tax. To much at stake me thinks.

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
In addition all the monies collected for diabetes research should be targetting how to rid people of diabetes rather than treat or manage the symptoms.. again big pharma have too much at stake as the management "solutions" is worth billions to them worldwide so no incentive for them to find 'cures'

Reactions: 4 people
G

graj0

The lobbyists from the food industry have politicians in there back pockets and until the system changes, you haven't got a chance of changing things!

In my opinion!

Rant over!
I'm playing devil's advocate here but I get round this problem by not buying their products. I's amazing how much processed food you can do without, basically all of it.

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm playing devil's advocate here but I get round this problem by not buying their products. I's amazing how much processed food you can do without, basically all of it.

I was just going to suggest this too - they only want to produce foods that are good sellers, so hit them in their profit margins - OUCH!! :D

Actually as a diabetic on a low carb diet, I tend not to buy anything with sugar in it either. So if all the growing band of diabetics could do this it would soon have the required results.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I like soup, I make my own in the colder months, never added sugar, same goes for casseroles and curries. The terrible state of children's teeth is striking an all time high too, so many little ones having to under go major extractions. But obviously this also needs to be addressed by the parents.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
No. Plenty of things require sugar or benefit from them in the recipe. It is all about moderation.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is when they ban sugar, what will they replace it with? More chemicals I suspect. At least with sugar it's the devil you know.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm amazed at the number of supermarket aisles I ignore altogether these days -- cereals, cakes, bread, sauces, home baking, ready meals, pizzas, quiches, almost all the processed meat (eg reformed ham) because it's carby, sugary or plain yuk.
And yet my diet is more varied than ever.
Sugar will be reduced gradually in our food while the industry thinks up the next ingredient to get us hooked on. Before sugar, it was fat.

Reactions: 9 people

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
Before being diagnosed as type 2 I never read labels but rather bought on taste. Now I realise it was probably all the sugar and fats in processed food is what I was craving.

We eat very little processed food now and don't add sugar so feel much better for it.

Re: The industry replacing sugar with other chemicals. We not just diabetics need to keep up with the practices of the industry by researching what the labels say.
I know it's time consuming but it is potentially life threatening. Ie sweeteners. Research has proven these to make insulin resistance worse. If you want the scientific research on this Google it. Health doesn't matter to food giants only profit and market share. IMHO.

Reactions: 3 people

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ah well that would not work
Most foods would taste **** if none was in u could not add any to it it pre made
But agree strongly that a big reduction of use should happen and better labels that are all one colour setting ( traffic light )

But to ban it totally
Prob never happen

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
No. Plenty of things require sugar or benefit from them in the recipe. It is all about moderation.

Personally for non dessert food I'd say the taste palette would adjust to no sugar. I'm not saying it would happen overnight. I took a while for my cravings to reduce to a point where I was able to stop taking sugar and concentrate on the hidden ones.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally for non dessert food I'd say the taste palette would adjust to no sugar. I'm not saying it would happen overnight. I took a while for my cravings to reduce to a point where I was able to stop taking sugar and concentrate on the hidden ones.

Just think of how many dif types of food use sugar
Then take that amount and times by the total purchased in UK in one min
The number have 000,000 in it
Changing that any peps minds and way of living
They will not go with out a fight and they would lobby like hell to stop all sugar
As it is a binding and taste ingredient
We can not live with out any more

Well us lot can lol

But u see what I mean
Yes reduce - don't over load
If u do ! Tell us in one formate so we can all work from same page and make our own choices
Coz no one likes being told what they can and can not do ... We all want to find out our selfs

So part with u .... But I don't ever see that happing

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
Ah well that would not work
Most foods would taste **** if none was in u could not add any to it it pre made
But agree strongly that a big reduction of use should happen and better labels that are all one colour setting ( traffic light )

But to ban it totally
Prob never happen
I agree to a point but taste buds change over time. Think how yours have. It's all about reducing processed food as I'm guessing you would stay away from recipes containing sugar if you were cooking from scratch.

We have to start somewhere and I agree with the traffic light label system as a start.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

But in response to org post
I think fhere are 4 think tanks that are putting pressure on and many groups from dif areas
All with same mess
But with growing pressures on nhs coz of D and many other factors
They are sitting on time bomb
And I think they r starting to wake up a bit
But at the moment it obesity that is the dirty word at te DOH
Deal with that, deal with ! is their idea and mantra at mo

Well... At lest they are looking
Just not in right place so to speak