Sharps bin for work?

Penfold5702

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just been informed by the works occupational health nurse, that I need to supply my own sharps BIN at work. This is due to company policy apparently.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I would assume this is because of the blood content involved however women are not required to provide their own sanitary bin so I would challenge it. Being honest it would never even occur to me. Given the faff it is to deal with one even in my own home mum and I do not bother. I hope you can convince your work to help but if they won't I was advised to use an old juice bottle to store the sharps in before disposing it in a regular bin.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Comply with their request, if its company policy there's little you can do about it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just been informed by the works occupational health nurse, that I need to supply my own sharps BIN at work. This is due to company policy apparently.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

According to your profile, Penfold, you're T2, taking oral meds, so what do you need a sharps bin for, and was your expectation that your employer would provide one, or were you disposing a sharps in general rubbish?

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
I got a needle clipper from my GP. It simply snips the end off and keeps it inside. The remaining plastic part if needle can go in bin and needle clipper is small enough for a pocket. Dispose of when full in your own sharps bin at home. Alternatively, I use an empty miniature jam jar and dispose into sharps bin when I get home.