Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

Suby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?

Suby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?

Hi,

Bit late with this but have you considered making your own ? Sparkling water, lemon juice, perhaps a little citric acid and a sweetener your happy to use :)

Morgan32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my name is Annlouise I am new to the forum but I know that Asda own brand soft drinks don't have aspartame in them and so does co-operative shop they don't use it in their lemonade hope that helps

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
I use half the recommended serving, about 11/12 ml -- with the amount of water I drink for the Newcastle Diet and now renal colic (kidney stones !!!) anything which flavours the water but doesn't 'load' it with nasties makes for a nice change

Interesting to note on the bottle that undiluted PLj can be used in lieu of lemon juice as well
It's all in the name! PLJ = Pure Lemon Juice! It used to be advertised as that many many years ago.

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
I'm with Suby. I also like to add a dash of Angostura bitters, just a few drops. Don't know what goes into it. Someone here will have the answer!

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mo

Morrisons due a diet tonic water with out aspartame in.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we use fizzy water and Aromhuset - there are about 20 flavours for sale on Amazon. Natural flavours. You only use a couple of drops to flavour an entire glass of water, so the carbs are negligible. No artificial nonsense. Not particularly sweet, but I like that.

The result is like one of those flavoured waters, not like a bottle of pop - but I find those revoltingly sickly nowadays.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
Sainsbury's do no use Aspartame in any of their own label products, they either use sugar or sucralose, they announced it about 18months ago, as it is my local supermarket it is good for me, though I use Asparteme myself in coffee as it is the only sweetener that has no aftertaste I have found, but I think it is a personal thing as Stevia tastes awful as does saccarin, and sucralose leaves a bitter taste if something is over sweetened

spart1258

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we use fizzy water and Aromhuset - there are about 20 flavours for sale on Amazon. Natural flavours. You only use a couple of drops to flavour an entire glass of water, so the carbs are negligible. No artificial nonsense. Not particularly sweet, but I like that.

The result is like one of those flavoured waters, not like a bottle of pop - but I find those revoltingly sickly nowadays.

Does it have to be fizzy water ,, I like sugar free juices not fizzy stuff which give me wind .

Al44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsbury's do no use Aspartame in any of their own label products, they either use sugar or sucralose, they announced it about 18months ago, as it is my local supermarket it is good for me, though I use Asparteme myself in coffee as it is the only sweetener that has no aftertaste I have found, but I think it is a personal thing as Stevia tastes awful as does saccarin, and sucralose leaves a bitter taste if something is over sweetened
You're so right, it IS a personal thing, I find Aspartame disgusting and Stevia revolting, only sugar will do, wonder if that confirms I'm addicted to sugar?

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All Sainsburrys diet and no added sugar drinks only have sucrose in. I love the no added sugar cranberry or cranberry and raspberry juice

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Coca-Cola used to be my sweet drink of choice ... of course, that had to change when I started to have kidney stone problems, and right away when my doctor said "Whoa, boy ... ya gotta stop that stuff or I will be seeing you a lot more!". So water became the immediate drink of need. Not much flavour in water! Had to find something else. I lost my craving for soft drinks soon after that (if you have had kidney stones you would know the incentive to change). Well, next comes the diabetes bandwagon - family thing. My mom (90) has it and her father died (55) from it. Water was still a good choice, but so many other things had to disappear from the diet. Hang on, I'm getting to the matter at hand :) While I am a picky eater, my diet has changed - wasn't easy and I am still an occasional "sinner". Lost 30 lbs - that is on the good side. My thirst quenching still needed a tune-up. Tried this, tried that (don't they make anything without Aspartame?!). Learned quickly about "No sugar added" marketing. None "added", but read the label ... - no sugar added but 8 gms per 100 ml! Eventually, this is what I landed up with and have been using for awhile now to satisfy that age old craving. You mentioned Lemonade. Don't know if this is available outside of Canada or the US. SunRype Slim. http://www.sunrype.ca/products/slim-lemon-drop-lemonade Filtered water, erythritol, lemon pulp, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavour, citric acid, pectin, natural colour, vitamin c, sucralose (36 mg / 250 mL), acesulfame-potassium (19 mg / 250 mL).
Slim-Lemonade.png

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to add for anyone looking for aspartame free tonic water, Lidl's diet tonic doesn't have it. And it's very nice. :)