1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by rowan, Apr 7, 2015.

1. tonyl13

tonyl13 · Newbie

Fever Tree Naturally Light tonic water contains pure fructose. Sugar = 2.9g per 100ml and it's delicious.

2. Suby

Suby Type 2 · Newbie

3. Suby

Suby Type 2 · Newbie

Hi,

Bit late with this but have you considered making your own ? Sparkling water, lemon juice, perhaps a little citric acid and a sweetener your happy to use :)

4. Morgan32

Morgan32 Type 2 · Member

Hi my name is Annlouise I am new to the forum but I know that Asda own brand soft drinks don't have aspartame in them and so does co-operative shop they don't use it in their lemonade hope that helps

5. GrannyAnnie

GrannyAnnie Type 2 · Active Member

It's all in the name! PLJ = Pure Lemon Juice! It used to be advertised as that many many years ago.

6. anniflower

anniflower Type 2 · Active Member

I'm with Suby. I also like to add a dash of Angostura bitters, just a few drops. Don't know what goes into it. Someone here will have the answer!

7. Apple tree

Apple tree Type 2 · Member

Mo

Morrisons due a diet tonic water with out aspartame in.

8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

we use fizzy water and Aromhuset - there are about 20 flavours for sale on Amazon. Natural flavours. You only use a couple of drops to flavour an entire glass of water, so the carbs are negligible. No artificial nonsense. Not particularly sweet, but I like that.

The result is like one of those flavoured waters, not like a bottle of pop - but I find those revoltingly sickly nowadays.

9. zbailey

zbailey · Newbie

Get a soda stream the diet drinks are really good and free from aspartame

10. drakman

drakman Type 2 · Active Member

Sainsbury's do no use Aspartame in any of their own label products, they either use sugar or sucralose, they announced it about 18months ago, as it is my local supermarket it is good for me, though I use Asparteme myself in coffee as it is the only sweetener that has no aftertaste I have found, but I think it is a personal thing as Stevia tastes awful as does saccarin, and sucralose leaves a bitter taste if something is over sweetened

11. spart1258

spart1258 Type 2 · Newbie

Does it have to be fizzy water ,, I like sugar free juices not fizzy stuff which give me wind .

12. Al44

Al44 Type 2 · Active Member

You're so right, it IS a personal thing, I find Aspartame disgusting and Stevia revolting, only sugar will do, wonder if that confirms I'm addicted to sugar?

13. loulou99782

loulou99782 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All Sainsburrys diet and no added sugar drinks only have sucrose in. I love the no added sugar cranberry or cranberry and raspberry juice

14. Bogie

Bogie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Coca-Cola used to be my sweet drink of choice ... of course, that had to change when I started to have kidney stone problems, and right away when my doctor said "Whoa, boy ... ya gotta stop that stuff or I will be seeing you a lot more!". So water became the immediate drink of need. Not much flavour in water! Had to find something else. I lost my craving for soft drinks soon after that (if you have had kidney stones you would know the incentive to change). Well, next comes the diabetes bandwagon - family thing. My mom (90) has it and her father died (55) from it. Water was still a good choice, but so many other things had to disappear from the diet. Hang on, I'm getting to the matter at hand :) While I am a picky eater, my diet has changed - wasn't easy and I am still an occasional "sinner". Lost 30 lbs - that is on the good side. My thirst quenching still needed a tune-up. Tried this, tried that (don't they make anything without Aspartame?!). Learned quickly about "No sugar added" marketing. None "added", but read the label ... - no sugar added but 8 gms per 100 ml! Eventually, this is what I landed up with and have been using for awhile now to satisfy that age old craving. You mentioned Lemonade. Don't know if this is available outside of Canada or the US. SunRype Slim. http://www.sunrype.ca/products/slim-lemon-drop-lemonade Filtered water, erythritol, lemon pulp, lemon juice concentrate, natural flavour, citric acid, pectin, natural colour, vitamin c, sucralose (36 mg / 250 mL), acesulfame-potassium (19 mg / 250 mL).
    [​IMG]

15. Dizz

Dizz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just to add for anyone looking for aspartame free tonic water, Lidl's diet tonic doesn't have it. And it's very nice. :)

16. loulou99782

It's yum and cheap:)

17. Dizz

Indeed Loulou, what more could one want?! :)

18. loulou99782

A bigger bottle, some ice and a glass

19. Dizz

And a slice of lemon and a bottle of gin!

20. loulou99782

Sounds very good when and where?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook