Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Problem/ background
The system uses strip-free technology, so users need to follow a specific testing procedure that is different to standard meter and strip systems.

We issued an alert in 2014 (MDA/2014/021) but we continue to receive reports of false high readings relating to this device. We continue to work with the manufacturer to further reduce the potential for false high readings.

Manufacturer contacts
Roche Diabetes Care
Telephone: Accu-Chek Careline: 0800 701 000
Email: [email protected]

Accu-Chek_mobile_meter_and_Accu-Chek_mobile_test_cassette.jpg

Read more here: https://assets.digital.cabinet-offi..._meter_and_Accu-Chek_mobile_test_cassette.pdf & https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-aler...-procedure-is-not-followed#download-documents

Reactions: 2 people

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so whats the thing soulution to this then? is it just the extra handwashing/light application of blood? i do tend to find my reading on this meter jump around a good but when done near each other, i can test and get 4.5 then test again on the same finger and get 6

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had three of these machines up to date. Each time I use this machine, after a few readings, I get a message to say that the cassette is faulty and to insert a new one. I have done all the procedures that the company have suggested and it still has all the problems. When I complained, they simply just sent me another machine with exactly the same fault. I don't use it any more, which is a pity, as I really like the design and the idea of everything being in the same machine. Now they are discovering a fault with the readings. I think they need to make sure that it is absolutely safe to use before they put them on the market. We depend on accurate readings and if these machines are not accurate then it can be dangerous. They need to get their act together.

Nick Loakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had 3 of these machines also in a very short amount of time And also got the faulty cassette error a lot, but try getting a refund and don't seem to get very far! But have a good alternative. Go on Bayers website and get a free Contour usb it's the blood monitor I've ever used and I've type 1 31 years.

mikej3252

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have one of these. I have only had it a couple of months. I use it as a second meter, for use in the car. So far no problems when compared to my other meter. A Contour NEXT link.

I don't have this machine but I do have an accu-chek nano. I have had higher readings with this than other machines. I tested once as I knew my bloods were low and the accu-chek said 4.1mmol. My mum who is also type 1 let me try her meter at the same time, she had just got the contour. The reading on this was 2.1mmol which felt more like how my blood sugars actually were. I do use the control solution every so often and it comes up as being 'in range'. Just wondering if it maybe an accu-chek problem in general as I've never had this with other machines.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used this device and its predecessor for years and really like it so I am concerned these warnings continue. Thanks for posting this. It does seem that the device is accurate if used correctly but maybe more of a user education effort is needed by Roche.

(Though if they want to be sure to retain me as a customer they should include a bolus wizard in the next version.)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I asked this question of Roche:

"Due to poor eyesight I cannot see the exact spot to apply the blood drop so I move my finger in a very small circle at a fixed distance from the strip. I do not press on the strip. Will this method risk incorrect readings?"

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I asked this question of Roche:

"Due to poor eyesight I cannot see the exact spot to apply the blood drop so I move my finger in a very small circle at a fixed distance from the strip. I do not press on the strip. Will this method risk incorrect readings?"
I am registered blind (retinitus pigmentosa) I do very similar Spiker, and get very few false readings. I have been using the mobile for over four years.

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have two of these, using one for work and travel, with the other as spare;-)
So far so good, although it took a while to learn the fine movements.
At home I use an Accu-Chek Aviva.
I noticed though, that the readings seem a tad bit higher than the SD Codefree for example.
I'll keep an eye on the matter though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
PEPPERS BEING USED TO BULK OUT FOOD ASSUMING THAT EVERYONE LIKES THEM!!
Problem/ background
The system uses strip-free technology, so users need to follow a specific testing procedure that is different to standard meter and strip systems.

We issued an alert in 2014 (MDA/2014/021) but we continue to receive reports of false high readings relating to this device. We continue to work with the manufacturer to further reduce the potential for false high readings.

Manufacturer contacts
Roche Diabetes Care
Telephone: Accu-Chek Careline: 0800 701 000
Email: [email protected]

Accu-Chek_mobile_meter_and_Accu-Chek_mobile_test_cassette.jpg

Read more here: https://assets.digital.cabinet-offi..._meter_and_Accu-Chek_mobile_test_cassette.pdf & https://www.gov.uk/drug-device-aler...-procedure-is-not-followed#download-documents
Hi everyone,
I had the same problem with this bm machine around two years ago. After the machine was changed at least three times (which meant sending of cartridges that had displayed error messages), i was eventually told that it was a build up of static in my body having an effect on the machine. Is this suggesting I glow in the dark!! I gave up with it in the end and have recently changed to the Contour Next USB. I love this machine as its really small and charged through the usb port on a laptop or wall charger. Bayer are giving these away if you call them on 0845 600 6030. Its really good as Im carb counting before going onto a pump. I can add carbs, insulin taken, activity, and am testing around 8-10 times a day as I also spend time in the gym trying to loose weight. Even at this rate of testing the charge lasts for weeks. Its brilliant and a god send.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Roche called me this morning. They confirmed that the incorrect readings only occur if and when you touch your finger on the tape strip and leave it there. This can cause high readings.

I have never done this with any meter, I have always been taught in let the blood flow onto the strip rather than dabbing or wiping, so I don't think I have ever had this problem.

They specifically said that moving your finger in a small circle is fine, it's not necessary to hit the centre of the strip precisely. The worst that will happen doing this is an error message ("insufficient blood" or "meter error"), but never an incorrect reading.

The warnings to HCPs and patients all boil down to: wash your hands and don't touch the tape strip itself with your finger.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the same problem with this bm machine around two years ago. After the machine was changed at least three times (which meant sending of cartridges that had displayed error messages), i was eventually told that it was a build up of static in my body having an effect on the machine.
It sounds like you were having a very different problem than what is referred to in the product warning.

Donkeymad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got one of thee then saw the warning on Facebook, so I am going to stick to my older meter which I am very happy with, but aware it cannot be replaced after next year. Why do they stop making smaller meters that suit me?:(

Billytrack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I touch the meter with my finger every time I use it! I've been using the accuchek mobile for years and never had any problems. I don't want to go back to using strips, it's a pain to carry them around too.

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only ever had a few insufficient blood warnings. The secret to using this device is to hold it with the test area in an uppermost position - it doesn't need to be vertical, a slight angle is preferable. It is now much easier to see the hanging blood drop just touching the tape. There is very little risk of blood contaminating the lens as it warns in the manual. Using it this way I have had consistent readings within a few tenths of a mmol of Accuchek aviva and Freestyle Lite systems.