Sudden High Readings!

A

asparagusp

Hello

After 15 years of Metformin and Gliclazide introduced a few years ago, I started insulin almost four weeks ago. Starting dosage 10 units.

I also started Propranolol three weeks ago for an overactive thyroid.

The first week's results the hospital was happy with. Last week ones I was happy with but in the last few days the levels have shot up and I suspect either the Dawn Phenomenon or a sore throat/cold might have raised the readings .....

I handed in the results to reception at the clinic on Tuesday morning but no feedback from the diabetic nurse .....

I am reluctant to increase my dosage .....

I

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't offer any suggestions about insulin usage (no personal experience), but infections definitely push blood glucose up.

How much has it increased?

Reactions: 2 people
A

asparagusp

Thank you. A few scary points! A few years ago I had celulites and the sugar level were horrendous then too.

A

asparagusp

Thank you. A few scary points! A few years ago I had celulites and the sugar level were horrendous then too.
I'm hoping a nicely experienced type 1 will come along and give you some guidelines on what to do, assuming it is an infection-induced hike in bg.

Have you seen the Type 1 Sick Day Rules?

http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk/resources/leaflets/SickDayRulesForType1.asp

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7347

A

asparagusp

I am Type 2 not Type 1! I only have a sore throat and am little snuffly. Ironically Propranolol can decrease you levels. lol

Any chance it's a Dawn Phenomenon starting after three weeks?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops! sorry!
It was the insulin that threw me.

Note to self: check profile before twiitering! :D

My Dawn Phenomenon took years to develop, and predated low carbing.
But other people may have different experiences...

AllyS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All my illness's
Been through this myself, readings off the scale for a month, lost 21kg in 5 weeks! In turn it must have been high keytones that caused the massive weight loss. Very very frightening indeed. Then suddenly stopped and blood sugar dropped fast!

I put it down to a trapped stone as was in massive pain to start with.

Ended up rising a bit but had read cinnamon was a superb aid. Started taking that and down to a very basic set of pills. Guy in the office opposite me was also quite high, told him t try cinnamon and he too dropped back to very low levels? Now, not saying it will work for everyone but certainly has worked well with me and my colleague.

A

asparagusp

It's thought that my hyperactive thyroid is causing my unmanageable blood sugar levels. It also has caused weight loss of a stone in 9 months!

Interestingly I have been taking a specially formulated supplement for Diabetics and I have noticed that the iodine content is 67 percent of RDA ..... not conducive to healthy thyroid in my case!

I tried cinammon years ago ..... I always had problems regardless of what I ate!

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been through this myself, readings off the scale for a month, lost 21kg in 5 weeks! In turn it must have been high keytones that caused the massive weight loss. Very very frightening indeed. Then suddenly stopped and blood sugar dropped fast!

I put it down to a trapped stone as was in massive pain to start with.

Ended up rising a bit but had read cinnamon was a superb aid. Started taking that and down to a very basic set of pills. Guy in the office opposite me was also quite high, told him t try cinnamon and he too dropped back to very low levels? Now, not saying it will work for everyone but certainly has worked well with me and my colleague.
Please tell me more - do you just add cinnamon to your food or take a supplement?
Sounds interesting.

A

asparagusp

There are many things you can add to your diet to help sugar levels. Yes cinnamon is one and indeed all spices. Make sure you have chromium - and Vitamin D, normally through sunshine but take a supplement if you lack it. Low levels are diagnosed through a blood test.

A

asparagusp

There are many things you can add to your diet to help sugar levels. Yes cinnamon is one and indeed all spices. Make sure you have chromium - and Vitamin D, normally through sunshine but take a supplement if you lack it. Low levels are diagnosed through a blood test.

You can take cinammon through a supplement or naturally.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi @asparagusp & @learning2me,

Some useful & popular supplements to help with blood glucose are Chromium Picolinate & Cinnamon. Both of which I take. I've found an excellent UK company that produces high quality supplements at affordable prices. The Cinnamon they use in their tablets is the preferable Ceylon type too. They have their own website, but I buy mine via Amazon for convenience. Here's the links to both Chromium & Cinnamon tablets:

CINNAMON: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinnamon-20...TF8&qid=1440243668&sr=8-1&keywords=vitaminrox
CHROMIUM: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chromium-Pi...upplement/dp/604251461X/ref=pd_bxgy_121_img_y

Research: http://examine.com/supplements/Chromium/ AND http://examine.com/supplements/Cinnamon/

It might be helpful to read the Amazon reviews of both supplements to help you decide whether you want to try a supplement. I do recommend discussing it with your DSN or GP, but as both are viewed as safe, they may well help you. Good luck to you both. X

learning2me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much - have ordered both and some coconut oil.
Slowly learning what I need and getting organised, mainly thanks to the kind and helpful people on here.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Thank you so much - have ordered both and some coconut oil.
Slowly learning what I need and getting organised, mainly thanks to the kind and helpful people on here.

Hey, I'm SO pleased you found my advice useful @learning2me. And @asparagusp. I take one 200mcg Chromium tablet 3-4 times spread out throughout the day. With or without food. Both ways are ok. As for the Cinnamon, to help with fasting blood glucose, I take one 2000mg tablet at night with a lowish carb snack...usually a piece of cheese, a slice of ham or a couple of Low Carb crackers. All three if I'm hungry. Don't expect overnight results. But you should start seeing a difference quite quickly. Don't give up.

I've been looking back through my posts when I first joined this Forum in February. I actually became quite emotional reading them. It was such a scary time & I was completely out of my depth. I thought I'd send you a link to it as it helps you realise that you're not alone. We've ALL been there. At that time, I never thought I'd be in a position to be able to help & advise other members. Yet, here I am. And, I guarantee, at some point in the future, you both will too. Good luck. AJ. X

Here's the link. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/feeling-overwhelmed-afraid.72031/

A

asparagusp

A few days down the line. I am still getting reasonable and bad readings which makes it tricky to know whether to up the dosage. However I saw the GP yesterday and she says that I will have these fluctuations until my thyroid is sorted. So worried about all this and it was reflected in heart rate etc. She therefore increased the Propranolol ..... vicious circle eh? ,,,,,

add

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hie
I am type1 since 17 and I am now 19
There r many things u can add to your diet to help BG levels.Even okra helps...One glass of okra water daily in the morning before breakfast helps maintain ur BG levels..It helped me a lot and my insulin intake has gone down to a great extent...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/natural-therapies/okra.html
Hope this information will be useful for you