Partners of diabetics

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, he's not the diabetic!! It used to do anything around me to support me but away from me he scoffed!! Since he stopped the hidden binges away from me and joined me in eating the same then he lost 4st in weight.

I think @Molly56 is really looking for partners contributions.. Sorry for straying...
I noticed Molly was not getting responses from partners. Which is why I tried to give the perspective of my partner. With his approval. He wouldn't respond himself because he doesn't regard this forum as his domain, though he knows I find it useful.
Probably because, like many partners he trusts me get on with managing my health with minimal input from him. Though he would give me his advice/opinion on my management if I asked him.

Reactions: 4 people

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was just thinking earlier that I seem to have noticed a lot of partners of diabetics on here recently that all seem to be in similar boats (husbands or partners in various stages of denial about their diabetes)....and a similar boat to me....which got me thinking...

Does anyone have any useful hints or tips about how to deal with someone who really doesn't want to address their diabetes....thought it would be useful to share this and perhaps someone somewhere will find a lightbulb moment.....or something useful they can try in their own circumstances.

I would just say that I have found lots of useful advice here on the forum and in my own personal circumstances things have improved considerably since I joined the forum but sometimes I think it is difficult for a diabetic to contemplate how another person with diabetes can be so blinkered that they cannot see what is happening around them....if you are the partner of a diabetic in denial I think you will know what I mean.

Sorry, not sure if any of the above makes sense but if you are the partner of a diabetic in these circumstances I am hoping you will understand where I am coming from...

Am happy to talk and share experiences with anyone in the same boat...
I've just found this thread, Molly. Just what I'm looking for. I'm going to read through it all now.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm T2, my husband isn't but his mother and daughter from first marriage are both T2. I do 90% of the shopping and as we eat together in the evening, (sometimes lunch too if he's at office base locally) I told him that if he wanted all the cream etc he would have to cut down on the carbs. He wouldn't which made meals difficult. Then he developed Non-Coeliac Gluten Syndrome and hey presto, drastic reduction in carbs. He now realises how important diet is and now we mutually support each other. No gluten or processed carbs, sugar or sweeteners in the house.

I really feel for people with a sweet tooth if their partner stashes sweet food. My husband was a bread fiend and since I wasn't that keen it didn't bother me. I think I'm quite lucky.

Reactions: 2 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm the diabetic in our household and started adjusting normal recipes to suit me while giving husband, son and daughter their normal carbs. The tribe started tucking into my Paleo bread - to the point, I got cross when one of them wouldn't own up to who had eaten the last piece, leaving the normal bread in the bread bin.
My son, in his late twenties saving up to go off on his usual winter ski bum activities, after a few comments of "What's that weird s**t?" started to tuck into whatever I made - one creation happened to be what looked like fluorescent green soup (my wheat grass was overgrown and needed mowing!) He scoffed 2 bowls of it. When I asked him if he would like to know what was in it?.... That look came over his face, I won't tell you what the response was when he found out that I had fed him grass!!! :D

Perhaps, the answer to these stubborn diabetics who won't eat to help their condition is to just start introducing different foods? My lot of norms, if you can call them that :rolleyes: can happily live on my diet through their own choice.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I look back at my diagnosis and I was really angry. I had a low risk of diabetes according to NHS Choices. I was also the worst case my GP had ever seen when my first HbA1c came back, but didn't have any of the classic symptoms. I wasn't in denial because I trust my GP but I can see why many people want to cling to their familiar food and not change their diet, as if it's their anchor.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I look back at my diagnosis and I was really angry. I had a low risk of diabetes according to NHS Choices. I was also the worst case my GP had ever seen when my first HbA1c came back, but didn't have any of the classic symptoms. I wasn't in denial because I trust my GP but I can see why many people want to cling to their familiar food and not change their diet, as if it's their anchor.
Just curious, what was your first HbA1c? I can't quite remember mine, it might have been in the 60s, but I had symptoms. We're all so different aren't we?