Travel Advice Needed

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I am a type 2 for the past 10 months and just wanted some general advice about going abroad.

I am planning a holiday to Kos, Greece in August 2016 for 2 weeks. Here are a few questions I have.

When getting travel insurance do I need to say I am a diabetic?

Can I bring my glucose monitor and meds on the plane with me?

What food can I eat on the plane or can I bring my own food on board?

Does the heat affect our condition in any way? High/low glucose readings etc.

Thanks in advance!! I did try to find information online from my local airport's website and the airline website but there was no information at all.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A glucose monitor as well as oral medication and insulin can be brought on to the plane with you in hand luggage.....

you can bring your own food yes, probably best to do that so your in control of the contents, although a trip to Kos will only be four hours maybe, so no need to really eat a lot..........but its holiday time, so hard to resist I know.......

I would say the heat does effect blood sugar readings or it effect the way our medications works anyway.......how specifically is different for everyone........

Reactions: 4 people

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
A glucose monitor as well as oral medication and insulin can be brought on to the plane with you in hand luggage.....

you can bring your own food yes, probably best to do that so your in control of the contents, although a trip to Kos will only be four hours maybe, so no need to really eat a lot..........but its holiday time, so hard to resist I know.......

I would say the heat does effect blood sugar readings or it effect the way our medications works anyway.......how specifically is different for everyone........

Thank you for that novorapidboi26

It will be my first holiday as a diabetic so was unsure.

Reactions: 2 people

Northerngirl

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am a type 2 for the past 10 months and just wanted some general advice about going abroad.

I am planning a holiday to Kos, Greece in August 2016 for 2 weeks. Here are a few questions I have.

When getting travel insurance do I need to say I am a diabetic?

Can I bring my glucose monitor and meds on the plane with me?

What food can I eat on the plane or can I bring my own food on board?

Does the heat affect our condition in any way? High/low glucose readings etc.

Thanks in advance!! I did try to find information online from my local airport's website and the airline website but there was no information at all.
Yes, definitely tell your travel insurance company re diabetes, or your insurance will be invalid. They'll probably ask a specific question re diabetes, if not there will general questions re existing medical conditions that you will need to answer.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi guys, just to confirm taking food on a plane issue......You can't take food (Meat, Cheese, fruit, even water!) through security (Passport control).....However, buying it in the duty free area is possible.......You could also talk to the stewards on the plane to modify the meals for you.....

I travel a lot to Thailand, and insulin, monitors etc are OK to take.....Sometimes I do get questioned as to what they are, but no real problems. Oh! and you can take glucose tabs through security without problems too.....

Have a good trip!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always take food onto the plane.
No liquids though, so I buy water.
I always hand carry my meds, and meter, and in fact anything I would miss if my luggage went missing.

I tend to pick and choose from any meal provided.

As I like a Mediterranean diet, in a similar climate to Greece anyway, my BG stays pretty much the same.

Heat can make a difference though, until you get acclimatized.

Drink a lot of water, increase your salt a bit out there as well.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Thank you for all the responses

It's covered everything I needed to know - I like to do my research for everything before I go away so I know what I am doing and what to expect

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi msprim,

1. Yes: if you have a pre-existing condition (diabetes), you have to go through an extra medical screening. There you will declare your medical condition and relevant details. If you don't declare your condition, it will invalidate your policy. NB, not all travel insurance providers cover pre-existing conditions. The cheapest ones on price comparison websites usually don't, so make sure to check.

2. You should always bring all your medicine in your hand luggage on the plane. This includes insulin, meters and needles. This is for two reasons. a) if you put your insulin in the baggage holdall, it can freeze, and this will ruin it b) if your bags get lost by the airline (it's happened to me multiple times), you have all your medication with you. It's recommended to get a letter from your doctor in case security officials ask - although I've never been asked, they can and it can also save problems with customs. Ask your doctor.

3. You should be fine bringing food on board - only liquids have to be bought after security. The problems with meat/cheese etc are one you have arrived at you destination: you usually can't bring meat/fresh produce through customs in your arrival destination so make sure you eat it all on the plane or throw it away. Also, some airlines offer diabetic meals, so check with your airline.

4. Being in a hot climate can make you absorb insulin quicker, meaning you may experience slight lows in the short term. Be sure not too overcompensate when bringing your sugars back up if this happens. Of course, if you're experiencing unusual hypos, be sure to check regularly and keep sugar to hand. Also, make sure you have a way to keep your insulin cool when travelling. Friopacks work pretty well.

Mahalo!

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Thanks for the new replies

Thanks for the link noblehead - I'll give that a read now?

I contacted the airline and I can bring my own food on board if I wish and I need a doctors letter with me for my medical supplies - just in case I am asked.

Thanks for the advice for travel insurance Charlie

Just another question - any Greek good I should steer clear of?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Drool over the baklava (sweet honey drenched pastry), halva (sweet) loukoumades (sweet fried snack) but don't eat them ! The essential ingredients for houmous/hummus are tahini (high fat high protein, basically sesame seed butter) and chickpeas which you may or may not be OK with. Taramasalata is a dip made with smoked cod's roe, some recipes use bread in them so it may be carbier than it looks. Dolmades are little bundles of rice, wrapped in vine leaves. Kalamata olives are lovely, There are several Greek cheeses besides Feta, and Krasotyri contains wine. Ouzo is lovely (unless you hate aniseed) but I hated the wine, especially Retsina. You'll likely find Fage Total Greek yogurt everywhere and that makes a great breakfast if full fat, especially if you can eat fruit with it. You'll probably find sea bass and red mullet as these are farmed in the Greek islands.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
Drool over the baklava (sweet honey drenched pastry), halva (sweet) loukoumades (sweet fried snack) but don't eat them ! The essential ingredients for houmous/hummus are tahini (high fat high protein, basically sesame seed butter) and chickpeas which you may or may not be OK with. Taramasalata is a dip made with smoked cod's roe, some recipes use bread in them so it may be carbier than it looks. Dolmades are little bundles of rice, wrapped in vine leaves. Kalamata olives are lovely, There are several Greek cheeses besides Feta, and Krasotyri contains wine. Ouzo is lovely (unless you hate aniseed) but I hated the wine, especially Retsina. You'll likely find Fage Total Greek yogurt everywhere and that makes a great breakfast if full fat, especially if you can eat fruit with it. You'll probably find sea bass and red mullet as these are farmed in the Greek islands.

Thanks Celeriac

The sweet stuff sounds devine

Still I will be quite happy with Greek yoghurt and fruit and also the sea bass and red mullet

As for the wine - I don't drink although I do quite like aniseed

I will do more research and see what other meals are suitable.

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I envy you, I'd love to go to Greece and try some of the food there. I expect cheese, fish, really good olive oil,... :happy:

I have brought sandwiches (before diabetes), raw vegetables, hard-ish cheese, an apple and nuts through security, without anyone even batting an eye. After security other passengers sometimes looked a bit surprised, but in a nice way ;)

Enjoy your trip!!

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I envy you, I'd love to go to Greece and try some of the food there. I expect cheese, fish, really good olive oil,... :happy:

I have brought sandwiches (before diabetes), raw vegetables, hard-ish cheese, an apple and nuts through security, without anyone even batting an eye. After security other passengers sometimes looked a bit surprised, but in a nice way ;)

Enjoy your trip!!

Thank you Munkki

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Then if you've taken food through security, it means travelling within Europe is accepted. However, try that in the USA, or all the Asian countries, maybe any country out side of the EU.....

I have been told by an American friend that they can't even take an apple from New York to Miami.....
His words not mine :)

Anyway, food on the plane can be eaten with control of your insulin.......No big deal!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Regarding insurance.....I have world cover insurance, never needed a doctors note, never needed to inform the airline....
OMG! If you want to go by the ''step by step'' of what you should do by other peoples advice, then be my guest :)
Just get on the plane, eat the food (Check your BG), and have a good time!!
And as said.....take your insulin with you in your hand luggage, and leave a spear supply in your check in baggage.....win win situation!!

Bingki Rose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance and cruelty to animals and people
Hi, im a Type 1 Diabetic and I lived in Cyprus for awhile and have travelled all over. My advice to you is to go through a Travel insurance called All Clear Travel, you can find them on the net. They do medical insurance and cover all conditions. I have used them for years and are very well priced.
I would also advise you to get a letter from your doctor or Diabetic nurse explaining your a Diabetic and have to carry the medication your on. Not every airport will check but better to have the letter then not.
The heat is very likely to effect you but if you do regular blood checks, organise your food/ carbs to what exercise or activities your going to do, and remember to drink plenty of water you should be fine!
Oh just to let you know, Greek islands don't sell Lucozade in many places so I would carry some glucose tabs or non diet drink.

Have a great holiday! :)