Does Activated Charcoal absorb glucose? (Nausea)

Pota

Having nausea is realy bad for us diabetics.
Constantly having problem with low blood glucose, cause of vomitting, and then drink some coke to get the blood glucose up is realy messy :S

I have read (and bought) that Activated Charcoal can reduce the time beeing sick and vomit due to the fact that it absorbs toxic.
But im affraid of taking it because i dont know if it will also absorb the glucose from my coke. Must be bad vomitting and know that the glucose you drink gets absorbed.

Have anyone used this? Or know if it will absorb sugar?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I don't know much about activated charcoal and I don't think it would be very effective in reducing nausea. There are good anti-nausea prescription medications available so you may want to see your GP about the nausea, as a first step. It's important to get nausea investigated by a doctor because it could be a sign of something serious. It is also bad for your oesophagus, throat and teeth to be vomiting a lot.

Pota

I see, but there are different problems with using dugs to stop vomitting.
1. Vomitting is a way for my body to get rid of unwanted toxic or bacteria ++
2. Vomitting can result in low blood glucose.
3. Using Charcoal removes minerals, vitamin, toxic but also some glucose.

So what to do if you get nausea and vomits? What can be done if my blood glucose drops low?
Is there any way to increase the blood glucose without using glucose injection?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I see, but there are different problems with using dugs to stop vomitting.
1. Vomitting is a way for my body to get rid of unwanted toxic or bacteria ++
2. Vomitting can result in low blood glucose.
3. Using Charcoal removes minerals, vitamin, toxic but also some glucose.

So what to do if you get nausea and vomits? What can be done if my blood glucose drops low?
Is there any way to increase the blood glucose without using glucose injection?
Vomiting is only useful for getting rid of bacteria if you have something like food poisoning. Whether it is good or bad depends on what is causing the vomiting. Usually the best thing to do for vomiting is to take medication.

If your blood glucose is too low, take fast acting glucose, like tablets or lucozade, according to what I have read on the forum.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Cant say Ive ever suffered nausea as a result of being diabetic even when I was using insulin and suffering occasional hypos, I would definitely see your GP and have this investigated.

I use morphine patches to control arthritic pain and they did cause me nausea when I first started using them and I was prescribed a drug called Cyclizine Hydrochloride which proved very effective and stopped me being sick literally every morning, I dont take it now having become more tolerant to opiates but they did improve my quality of life no end when I started on them.

So do see your GP and get this problem investigated daily nausea is no fun as I experienced.

Reactions: 2 people

Pota

Im not having nausea often.. But those time i get food poisioned, how can i increase my blood glucose without taking glucagon injection? Im talking only about those times.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Im not having nausea often.. But those time i get food poisioned, how can i increase my blood glucose without taking glucagon injection? Im talking only about those times.
Most people only get food poisoning very rarely. Basically if you can't hold anything down and you have a glucagon injection handy, I'd use it. If you can keep a glucose tablet or a small amount of lucozade down, then try that.