Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning Folks

5.4 for me this morning.

Work is very quiet at the moment (i only have a part - time job on a zero hours contract these days) so I spent yesterday morning laying concrete wall footings in the garden and the afternoon walking round DoveStones reservoir.

Lovely place but my bad knee and the pain in my feet rather took the pleasure out of it and I felt I had had enough when I got back to the car.

However, somewhat to my surprise both problems seem to be somewhat reduced this morning and I think we might have a stroll round a coastal town today - Whitby or Blackpool probably, and see if pushing the exercise envelope a bit will help....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!! well done :)
Thank you. I feel I'm now in a position to try out a wider range of foods and even take an occasional liberty. I'm obviously still diabetic but with "normal" blood sugars. I have been so strict with myself for the last 6 months and I'm not sure I can keep to a very limited diet. How have others reacted when they reached "normal" levels? I was hoping for a good result but as I still get fasting readings in the 6's at times and also occasionally spike up to 10 after a meal I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

Reactions: 8 people

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I feel I'm now in a position to try out a wider range of foods and even take an occasional liberty. I'm obviously still diabetic but with "normal" blood sugars. I have been so strict with myself for the last 6 months and I'm not sure I can keep to a very limited diet. How have others reacted when they reached "normal" levels? I was hoping for a good result but as I still get fasting readings in the 6's at times and also occasionally spike up to 10 after a meal I wasn't expecting it to be that good.

I can fully understand where you are coming from. I have my HBA1C next month, the last was a reading of 68 and I can tell you with my hand on my heart, I felt very ill, collapsed on the sofa most afternoons, fatigued and feeling that I was heading for another heart attack. To now have normal levels, my readings don't go above 7 after food and I no longer feeling like a walking corpse. I don't want to experience that slow death, ever again. Grain is obviously toxic to my metabolism and I will avoid it at all costs - it would be nice to think that I could have the rare risotto, Paella or potato gratin dish when out... but, I can tell you now, fear of feeling so ill again and having to go through the pain of getting normal glucose levels, will prevent me from experimenting with carbs :grumpy:

I will follow your progress with interest - please keep posting! :)

Reactions: 10 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its definately about finding that balance between enjoying what you eat and keeping your BS stable. Have fun experimenting, hopefully you will find that balance, keep us posted :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. 5.6 today, only 25g of carb yesterday, don't know if that affected it but I had a couple of 4 points yesterday and a 5.0

Reactions: 5 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can fully understand where you are coming from. I have my HBA1C next month, the last was a reading of 68 and I can tell you with my hand on my heart, I felt very ill, collapsed on the sofa most afternoons, fatigued and feeling that I was heading for another heart attack. To now have normal levels, my readings don't go above 7 after food and I no longer feeling like a walking corpse. I don't want to experience that slow death, ever again. Grain is obviously toxic to my metabolism and I will avoid it at all costs - it would be nice to think that I could have the rare risotto, Paella or potato gratin dish when out... but, I can tell you now, fear of feeling so ill again and having to go through the pain of getting normal glucose levels, will prevent me from experimenting with carbs :grumpy:

I will follow your progress with interest - please keep posting! :)
Your readings are lower than mine so your next result should be really good. I still spike very occasionally even up to 10 after 1 hour. I know stress affects me as well as food. I can;t keep my readings after meals to below 7 which was my aim. I've lost all the weight I need to lose and I'm finding it difficult as I now need to eat more as my doctor is concerned that I don't continue losing weight. I've almost stabilised. I dare not put on any weight as I'm sure I will lose control.I was greatly encouraged reading about the Newcastle Study but tried my own thing of restricting my calories in conjunction with restricting most carbs using my meter, I can eat very small quantities of rice and pasta now but only about 30 grams.

Reactions: 6 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 today !

I had a lidl protein roll yesterday as they actually had some in at 6pm. No huge post p rise and my FBS is good. Only my hips are aching like they haven't for a long time and after eating my stomach was 'confused' with bloating and discomfort. So a fail for me :(

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning Folks

5.3 for me this sunny morning

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 this morning - I had a cup of tea and lemon fat bomb before bed last night to see what it would. Non event, really. @Gravity-Carb Oh, I remember the bread days..... hope it goes soon. What do they put in the protein rolls?

Reactions: 4 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG 5.0 this morning. I had 125ml of a local ice cream delicacy yesterday and my 1 hour PPG was 6.1 so I was really pleased with that. I do allow myself the very occasional treat now that my HbA has come down but I still have a lot of weight to lose so I'm sticking to 60g carbs / 1400 calories a day on average.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Morning Folks

5.4 for me this morning.

Work is very quiet at the moment (i only have a part - time job on a zero hours contract these days) so I spent yesterday morning laying concrete wall footings in the garden and the afternoon walking round DoveStones reservoir.

Lovely place but my bad knee and the pain in my feet rather took the pleasure out of it and I felt I had had enough when I got back to the car.

However, somewhat to my surprise both problems seem to be somewhat reduced this morning and I think we might have a stroll round a coastal ton today - Whitby or Blackpool probably, and see if pushing the exercise envelope a bit will help....
Hi good results,I assume you mean Dovestones at Greenfield luvly isn't it my wife was born where they lived up on Stanedge and then down in Diggle ,know all around there I lived in upper ill for quite a few years the moved to Oldham but now live in Clitheroe

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its definately about finding that balance between enjoying what you eat and keeping your BS stable. Have fun experimenting, hopefully you will find that balance, keep us posted :)
I think you have got your blood sugars into the normal range and I would love to know how you are aiming to maintain that.

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning and I have got a letter offering me the Desmond Course. I think that will be interesting. How will they cope with someone who has reduced their HbA1c from 95 to 33 in 6 months? What advice will they give me?

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @photognut , had to take ibuprofen for the hip ache and still feeling bloated...:( wheat/lactose/sugar doesn't like me.

Here's @Brunneria 's post in the lidl protein roll thread that I've only just noticed also each roll weighs approx 112g:

Been googling.

Here's the ingredient list (apols if someone already posted this!)
Taken from facebook

Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Allergens:
May contain traces of milk and egg.

Very interesting. Stonking fibre. And apparently so little wheat flour I haven't had my usual reaction. Presumably my problem isn't the protein in wheat. Is gluten wheat protein? Have no idea... And a lovely lot of fat, presumably the seeds and soya.

I've had no bread-like bloating, water retention and thirst, either.

I don't usually eat processed stuff like this, but every now and then, when we take the in laws out for a picnic, or I really want to appear 'normal' at work...

HTH

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats a picture I pinched from another poster.... but gives the look.

Attachments

• 1440770464295.jpg
    1440770464295.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 136

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Barry

Yep, thats the one, and yes it is very nice there. Paths are well kept and the walk is relatively easy.

I actually live just over't'ill but Dovestones is only about 30 minutes away. Plenty others too - Digley and Langset come immediately to mind, and I used to walk round them a lot before I developed my knee problem - which I am beginning to think might have been an early indication of the onset of type 2....

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 this morning. I tried rice (60 grams) yesterday and a rise of 2.0 so I'm happy with that on the odd occasion.