Mega melt down today... Does the LCHF diet work?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Like you nannypoppins I've learned so much from this site. I love it. Anything that helps me fight the fat and sugar gets my thumbs up.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I just need my dn to call me back so I can confirm weight loss as my memory is still rubbish and I cannot remember what I weighed in june. I think I've lost a few pound but just want confirmation. (My scales have gone bang!)

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh I know... goodness knows where I've been the last 17years

I know I'm bad (stubborn) with asking for help so its my own fault but I still don't like the fact that it's only been the last 2 years that my weight has been a problem. Just started gaining one day even though I've always eaten/drank the same... strange.

alaska

Hi... im type 1 so i dont produce my own insulin at all. Is it very different from someone who is type 2 that takes insulin also?

I've never been told to watch the carbs but only the sugar in carbs really but if I take insulin to cover it doesn't really matter. I've not been on the DAFNE course either. I eat so much fruit and snacks that it's quite obvious now why I'm on high dose and gaining weight. I've only worked it out since reading things on this forum.

Sorry, my mistake on the type.

In theory, if you can reduce insulin very gradually whilst keeping your sugar levels in range, this should result in preventing and hopefully reversing the weight gain.

When I say reduce insulin, I'm not talking about eradicating it, just say getting it down to a lower amount per day, say keeping good control with 50 or 55 units should in theory see some improvement in the direction the body weight is going -given a few weeks or more.

Best not to change basal insulin unless you're totally confident with this.

If you're on metformin, this indicates that you have a degree of insulin resistance. Is that correct?

You say you've had your insulin doses changed drastically 20g/day min, 120g/day max. That's a massive difference.

So the other question to ask is: Do you feel your GP is competent enough to oversee your diabetes management?

If that answer is no: Can you attend a diabetes clinic in your area?

Regarding DAFNE. It would be good to go on it and under the new NICE guidelines you should qualify if you've not been on a diabetes course like this in recent years.

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's kind of silly really... I do apologies for the waffling on!

My insulin dosage was 110units - 120units per day before metformin. My DN never once told me that this was a high dosage. I've given that amount for years but never gained weight... so I never questioned it. Then the weight started... so I looked it up and asked my DN if I could please go on the metformin to reduce my dosages. She just wrote the prescription there and then... never said anything about insulin resistant or my carb intake.

So... my weight started going down and my dosages were drastically different but I was having hypo's all the time. Never really bad ones but just all the time... so I've kind of lost my hypo awareness now too but not totally.

Anyway... through out all this my eating habits never changed (that I noticed) and work and daily activities are the same pretty much. But recently the weight has started creeping up again and like always my DN doesn't really explain much to me when I call or go for appointments. She just says your hba1c is good and your weight is fine... but it's not. Well my hba1c is 7.0 so that's cool but weight... no!!

It's only the last week that I have read threads on here and worked out bits on my own...

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a wealth of information on here, and also you'll get some good advice on how to make the best of your NHS care, which sounds woefully lacking.

I'm type 2, so can't comment, but possibly you need to focus on controlling the hypo's first, getting everything stable, then targeting the weight gain/loss.

NannyPoppins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never see my GP really as i had arguments all the time about my testing strips... and the fact he would refuse them. Ive currently just moved house so ive got a new GP. Not seen him yet but I just tend to see or call my DN if I need too.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Sound so silly now reading it all back...
No, not silly at all. How can we know if no-one tells us. I'm so glad I found this forum it has literally changed my life. So much to learn!

alaska

I never see my GP really as i had arguments all the time about my testing strips... and the fact he would refuse them. Ive currently just moved house so ive got a new GP. Not seen him yet but I just tend to see or call my DN if I need too.

regarding test strips, the new type 1 in adults NICE guidelines now state:
"Frequency of self-monitoring of blood glucose

1.6.10 Advise routine self-monitoring of blood glucose levels for all adults with type 1 diabetes, and recommend testing at least 4 times a day, including before each meal and before bed. [new 2015]

1.6.11 Support adults with type 1 diabetes to test at least 4 times a day, and up to 10 times a day if any of the following apply:
  • the desired target for blood glucose control, measured by HbA1c level (see recommendation 1.6.6), is not achieved
  • the frequency of hypoglycaemic episodes increases
  • there is a legal requirement to do so (such as before driving, in line with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency [DVLA] At a glance guide to the current medical standards of fitness to drive)
  • during periods of illness
  • before, during and after sport
  • when planning pregnancy, during pregnancy and while breastfeeding (see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy)
  • if there is a need to know blood glucose levels more than 4 times a day for other reasons (for example, impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia, high-risk activities). [new 2015]
1.6.12 Enable additional blood glucose testing (more than 10 times a day) for adults with type 1 diabetes if this is necessary because of the person's lifestyle (for example, driving for a long period of time, undertaking high-risk activity or occupation, travel) or if the person has impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia. [new 2015]"

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...adults-diagnosis-and-management-1837276469701

Given you're just a touch above the new HbA1c target for type 1 (6.5%), you should therefore qualify for being supported to test between 4 to 10 times per day under the NICE guidelines.

Reactions: 5 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well I've put weight on since 10th June. Not good since my over weight 8 stones is a big problem to my disease.
Ok injecting 36-30-64units of insulin hasn't helped.
I've added just under 1kg (2lbs)
I'm disappointed.
I'm taking heart that maybe I'd added more and now starting to lose again. Fingers crossed.
Time will tell.
Seeing the bariatric surgeon on tuesday for a chat. Maybe a change of insulin too.
Well it's taken 30+ years to get this overweight. I shouldn't be surprised that the weight doesn't want to leave.
"Weight your no longer welcome. Begone with you" ha ha

Wazza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
None really
Be careful with High fat diet (unless poly/mono unsaturated) if you have cardio problems

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Be careful with High fat diet (unless poly/mono unsaturated) if you have cardio problems
Wazza no heart problems. Fatty liver thou and hypothyroidism. Read up on all as we speak. Bit scary thou as ok now but later it might turn out as bad advice. I'll have to take my chances. This weight has to go!

Reactions: 4 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I've started reading some of the science about LCHF. The trick really is to eat low enough carbs so that your body gets into fat burning mode, and then, when it's learned to expect fats, you have to give it enough fats for fuel. Eating nearly low enough won't do it - you effectively have to make your body forget carbs. 50g seems to be the MAXIMUM for effective fat burning.

Here's an idea - there are a couple of "what have you eaten today?" threads around here, including one specifically for LCHF. Let's see you guys on those threads... we can encourage each other, get ideas for meals and dish out bollockings if necessary!

Reactions: 4 people